Renting scooters at Kings Wharf

elisamlw

Hi everyone! We will be traveling to Bermuda via Royal Caribbean this summer and docking at Kings Wharf for two days. We'd like to rent scooters/mopeds the second day we're there.. any suggestions for companies?

We rented scooter from Oleander cycles last May. Would only rent one if your an experienced bike rider. My husband has had a Harleys for 20 years. It's very different to ride on other side of road and navigate turns. Roads are very narrow and scooter is very slow there were many times that cars would pass us and it was somewhat scary. Also we only rented one scooter so I was an extra pair of eyes to be aware of surrounding. Don't go into city's with scooters was to congested and crazy. Cars were cutting each other off and switching lanes. And as stated before being on wrong side of road and navigating a turn into a lane your not use to and watch the rest of traffic can be a little tricky.

Would I rent again not sure. Besides the safety issues they are not to comfortable very low to the ground no shock absorbers that I could feel. And like a said before they have no horsepower at times I think pedaling would've been faster.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Knowing that scooter rentals are risky at any port, how are the golf cart vehicles working out?

I just read about the "golf cart" rentals at KW? Well, maybe not exactly golf carts, but small electric "cars". Knowing that scooter rentals are risky at any port, how are these vehicles working out?

Knowing that scooter rentals are risky at any port, how are the golf cart vehicles working out?

I just read about the "golf cart" rentals at KW? Well, maybe not exactly golf carts, but small electric "cars". Knowing that scooter rentals are risky at any port, how are these vehicles working out?

This would be the first full season that the Twizy will be available to cruise ship passengers. Will have to wait until May for reviews by returning renters.

SBtS.

This would be the first full season that the Twizy will be available to cruise ship passengers. Will have to wait until May for reviews by returning renters.

SBtS.

If you want to read reviews of the Twizy, then go to Google and enter tripadvisor twizy reviews.

There are quite a few links to reviews by country, The reviews I read were all very favorable. There was a link for Bermuda with a couple of reviews by non-cruise ship guests. There is concern about re-charging spots.

SBtS

If you want to read reviews of the Twizy, then go to Google and enter tripadvisor twizy reviews.

There are quite a few links to reviews by country, The reviews I read were all very favorable. There was a link for Bermuda with a couple of reviews by non-cruise ship guests. There is concern about re-charging spots.

SBtS

They have recently added recharging spots at the Dockyard and St. George’s and more are on the way.

I do think it might be prudent to wait for more reviews. The reviews are favorable but they are a small sample from a small number of vehicles that have been available for rent. I won’t personally be rushing out to rent a Twizy. Also I am concerned about carnage that has been occurring on Bermuda roads. There is a problem on the island with speeding and driving under the influence. This carnage has involved both cars and motorcycles. Carnage is how the road situation is described in the Bermuda press. Tourists from the US will be at a disadvantage as we are not used to driving on the left and roundabouts. The Twizys will be sharing the narrow, winding, shoulder less roads with full size cars, SUV’s trucks and buses. On the plus side the Twizy has an airbag for the front seat and a seatbelt for the rear seat. So the should be safer than the mopeds.

Edited by Charles4515

• 2 weeks later...
our father, WHO IS 80, A VERY HEALTHY ACTIVE 80, LUCKILY FOR US, told us last night he wants to rent a scooter for our cruise in May!!! :rolleyes:

Nina from Baltimore

I have never rented a scooter there, however, I have seen a few people that have and it did not turn out well. One cruise I was on a lady from our ship wound up in a serious accident. I was also on a bus there once and the bus driver pulled over as a scooter and a car had an accident and she stopped to make sure they were alright. I also know a young couple that went there and rented a scooter and they had an accident and came home BADLY bruised. I had told them not to rent one and they did anyways. Live and learn. The roads are very narrow and winding. Lots of roundabouts and blind spots. Everything I have heard or read its not the best choice. The public transportation (Bus or Ferry) is much safer. One of my favorite islands!

I have never rented a scooter there, however, I have seen a few people that have and it did not turn out well. One cruise I was on a lady from our ship wound up in a serious accident. I was also on a bus there once and the bus driver pulled over as a scooter and a car had an accident and she stopped to make sure they were alright. I also know a young couple that went there and rented a scooter and they had an accident and came home BADLY bruised. I had told them not to rent one and they did anyways. Live and learn. The roads are very narrow and winding. Lots of roundabouts and blind spots. Everything I have heard or read its not the best choice. The public transportation (Bus or Ferry) is much safer. One of my favorite islands!

Yes to all of this but the one thing the scooter rental companies don’t advertise well is that tourist scooters are mechanically speed limited and severely underpowered. So even if you need to speed up to get around something or avoid something else you don’t even have the power you need to do it. Renting them is just not a good idea.

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

We are heading for Bermuda in September (3rd time in 3 years!!) and we rent a scooter every time, we are in our 60's. We have no problems navigating the island, we take our time and follow the lead of the locals. I wonder if the construction at the dockyard interfered with the scooter parking spaces? Does anyone have information on this? I have been watching the Dockyard Cam and I am not seeing many scooters driving back by the boats. Thanking you  in advance, any information will be welcome.