How are the Swans doing 2018?

They play Port Adelaide tomorrow. I think it will be a swans win but should be a cracker.

thanks Mic--I'm going to see if I can find it on TV here (but I doubt it).

Just looked--no luck. Maybe I can find it online somewhere.

Go Swans

ML

Edited by NoWhiners
add info

If you cannot find anything you can always try following it on a live score board site like https://www.flashscore.com/aussie-rules/

This is brilliant, thanks Mic! Now I have a good way to check what is happening. Still probably won't be able to keep up with all you natives but still...

Nice end to Easter Sunday :)

Go Swans

ML

PS: What's up with the person on the Cricket thread saying people shouldn't be talking cricket??? Odd. For my money, anyone who understands cricket should post anywhere, anytime!

Edited by NoWhiners
add note

This is brilliant, thanks Mic! Now I have a good way to check what is happening. Still probably won't be able to keep up with all you natives but still...

Nice end to Easter Sunday :)

Go Swans

ML

PS: What's up with the person on the Cricket thread saying people shouldn't be talking cricket??? Odd. For my money, anyone who understands cricket should post anywhere, anytime!

LOL, I think (hope) they were joking, perhaps they forgot the sarcasm emoji.;p

Yep we are still tracking very well against the same stage of 2017 :D :D

Close first half but Port stepped up the pressure in the second half and we crumbled. Shocking skill level and decision making - maybe some of that was Port's great pressure. They look to have a really good team this year, will take some beating. We lick our wounds and prepare for next week's big local Sydney derby against GWS.

I couldn't believe how bad the handling was, some due to the pressure, some due to the slipperiness of the ball (dew) but nearly every contest was contested and port just seemed to handle it that bit better. Swans fitness seemed to lag in the last 10 minutes as well although that could be psychological as well as port were in front by more than 10 at that stage.

Yep we are still tracking very well against the same stage of 2017 :D :D

Close first half but Port stepped up the pressure in the second half and we crumbled. Shocking skill level and decision making - maybe some of that was Port's great pressure. They look to have a really good team this year, will take some beating. We lick our wounds and prepare for next week's big local Sydney derby against GWS.

I couldn't believe how bad the handling was, some due to the pressure, some due to the slipperiness of the ball (dew) but nearly every contest was contested and port just seemed to handle it that bit better. Swans fitness seemed to lag in the last 10 minutes as well although that could be psychological as well as port were in front by more than 10 at that stage.

Sadly, I was informed this morning that my Swans have already lost a game. Much sadness :loudcry::loudcry:

I will hope that they do better next week.

Go Swans

ML

Are the Swans favored this week? And what is up with a team from Greater Western Sydney? Sydney gets 2 teams? And why doesn't Greater Eastern Sydney get a team? :D

Hmm, maybe eastern Sydney is wet ;)

I see Melbourne also has 2 teams. I still have a lot to learn...

ML

Are the Swans favored this week? And what is up with a team from Greater Western Sydney? Sydney gets 2 teams? And why doesn't Greater Eastern Sydney get a team? :D

50/50 game this week for mine. Both teams very talented but each has injury problems and underwhelming moments in the last couple of weeks. Giants maybe in slightly better form but it's a Swans home game so that evens it out for me.

Melbourne actually gets NINE teams. Melbourne, North Melbourne, Hawthorn, Collingwood, Carlton, St Kilda, Western Bulldogs, Richmond and Essendon. Geelong is about an hour down the road. You see, the AFL expanded from the old VFL which was a suburban competition in Victoria. There in fact used to be 12 teams (Fitzroy merged with Brisbane and moved up to Queensland, and South Melbourne moved north to become the Sydney Swans) if you don't include University which was a team that folded in the mid 1910s. The VFL became the AFL when the league expanded into other states (Sydney in 1982, Brisbane and West Coast in the late 80s, Adelaide, Fremantle and Port Adelaide in the 90s, Gold Coast and GWS in the early 2010s)

If you compare it to USA sports, it's actually a remarkably stable competition. In the league's entire history since 1897, there's been one relocation (South Melbourne to Sydney in 1982), one merger (Fitzroy Lions merged with Brisbane Bears in 1997 to become Brisbane Lions) and one club folding (University in 1914)

ML

Eastern Sydney might play Water Polo.

But there is an area of Sydney, around Bondi, known as The Eastern Suburbs. They have a team in the Rugby League competition. Their territory borders the SCG where the Swannies play.

Losfp explained well - yes, very heavily Melbourne based because it was originally a Victorian comp. Even our beloved swans were originally a Melbourne team (South Melbourne) who relocated.

Tense game tonight against the giants, currently up by 17 but there's over a quarter to go and it's been anyone's game all night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Losfp explained well - yes, very heavily Melbourne based because it was originally a Victorian comp. Even our beloved swans were originally a Melbourne team (South Melbourne) who relocated.

Tense game tonight against the giants, currently up by 17 but there's over a quarter to go and it's been anyone's game all night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

20 minutes down in the 4th quarter and still winning by 16.

20 minutes down in the 4th quarter and still winning by 16.

Swans win, sitting 2 wins from 3 games and currently 7th with only 3 games to be played tomorrow.

Wish I could have seen it, sounds like a ripper! (did I use that right???)