Wonderful Copenhagen 2018 edition.

We found Hotel Bethel. The front door is on a very crowded area of the Nyhavn. No cars can drive up to the front door of the hotel so you will have to drag your bags a little bit. You could actually take the HOHO bus from the pier and it will drop you off just a very short walk from the hotel. The hotel is right where all the action is in Nyhavn. We were happy we didn't end up staying there. They have no air conditioning. The hotel we stayed at had air conditioning but we enjoyed just opening the windows and letting the cool night air come in the room. It would be very noisy to leave your windows open at Hotel Bethel. It is a hopping area all night long.

This is simply not true! The entrance to the Hotel Bethel is on a corner. On Nyhavn, cars do not stop to drop off or pick up Hotel guests however, the bus stop is directly adjacent to the hotel entrance and our tour vehicles and bus to the Port picked us up right outside the front door on the side street.

We were at the Bethel in August and didn't AC. It can be a bit noisy with windows directly on Nyhavn although it didn't bother us. Just ask for a room that doesn't front on Nyhavn. We loved staying there and the complimentary breakfast was wonderful every morning.

Danish Viking, thanks for all your help on this thread. I used your directions with pictures to Oceankaj a couple of years ago and it worked out perfectly! This time we are headed back with our cruise ending in Copenhagen. We will be staying at the Scandic Copenhagen. How do you suggest getting there by public transit from Oceankaj? I'm considering buying the 24 hour city pass set with an activation time of 9am that day for when we disembark. My hesitation is that I will be using a European sim card in my phone (we are from Canada) and will either not receive the SMS ticket that day or I will not able to quickly show my usual phone number on my phone which is required when using the pass. Not sure if anyone has any experience with this.

Also, with the 24 hour pass we should also be able to get to the airport by train early the next morning- correct? My understanding is that the Scandic Copenhagen is by the train station. Thanks!

Yes, use the ships WiFi to get the ticket.

Then you will both get a text message when you buy it and you will recieve one by the time you will use it (so it is on the top of your messages)

Yes its correct that Scandic Copenhagen is close to to a train station, but that train station is Vesterport and only the S-train stops there.

You can take the S-train one stop to København H (central station) and change to the airport train there or walk a little bit longer and go directly to København H.

Its only 5 minutes extra or so.

Also when getting from Oceankaj to Scandic Copenhagen you just take either bus 25 or 27 to Østerport and go over to the S-train and take any south bound S-train towards Køge, Solrød Strand, Hundige, Høje Taastrup, Ballerup or Frederikssund.

After 2 stops you get off at Vesterport and walk to the hotel from there.

Hi Danish Viking! I just finished re-reading the 22 pages of very useful information, and we have our 4 days in Copenhagen pretty well planned out, thanks to you. One final question. Once we get to Central Station on the train from the airport, what exit (with an elevator?) will we take to put us on Bernstorffgade to walk to the Marriott?

If you have a chip credit card you will not need a pin for it to work.

You will need the PIN if you are using an automated facility. One of our card issuers told us that any such use would be considered a cash advance, so interest would be charged right away.:eek: We have a true chip & PIN that we use at unmanned machines.

Langolinie?

DV, thank you for your posts, which we are using now while we are in Copenhagen today. Our ship, the Silver Spirit, leaves in two days (Tuesday, 24/7) from berth C192 at Langolinie.

I assume that Langoline is a different cruise terminal that Oceankaj, where larger ships such as the NCL ship we saw today (while on a harbor cruise), and that Langolinie is closer to the city center. (Our hotel is at 23-39 Vertrobrogade). Please confirm that this is correct. Thanks. J & J

Yes, Langelinie is another pier.

Its located just north of the Little Mermaid and the Kastellet fortress.

If you take the 26 bus from Trommesalen towards Søndre Frihavn, Indiakaj it will take you directly to Langeliniekaj at the Indiakaj bus stop.

Departures from Trommesalen is at 06, 26 and 46 past the hour.

The trip takes 24 minutes.

Yes, use the ships WiFi to get the ticket.

Then you will both get a text message when you buy it and you will recieve one by the time you will use it (so it is on the top of your messages)

Yes its correct that Scandic Copenhagen is close to to a train station, but that train station is Vesterport and only the S-train stops there.

You can take the S-train one stop to København H (central station) and change to the airport train there or walk a little bit longer and go directly to København H.

Its only 5 minutes extra or so.

Also when getting from Oceankaj to Scandic Copenhagen you just take either bus 25 or 27 to Østerport and go over to the S-train and take any south bound S-train towards Køge, Solrød Strand, Hundige, Høje Taastrup, Ballerup or Frederikssund.

After 2 stops you get off at Vesterport and walk to the hotel from there.

Thank you!! This is so helpful. To get to Scandic Copenhagen, will the bus stop I get off be Osterport and then catch the S-train from there? When doing a google maps search it mentions to take E62219 to Vesterport. Is that an S-train? So helpful to know that any south bound train will do. Just want to make sure I understand it correctly as we are traveling with kids and therefore don't want to get too lost. Thanks again for your help!

We (hubby and I) are arriving the first Saturday in August, after an overnight flight and having been in airports/on planes for 24+ hours, I think taking the taxi to The Square, will likely be our best option. We are planning to do some sightseeing in Copenhagen, as we await our hotel room being available, but plan to stow our luggage there while we tour around.

I stayed at The Square last year before embarking on my Getaway cruise. It is quite easy to reach on foot from the main station, (you walk past Tivoli) however, I arrived at about 9.00am and was told rooms would not be ready until after 2.00pm. There is a luggage room next to the reception desk though, and a coffee shop on both corners of the block where the hotel is situated.

Thank you!! This is so helpful. To get to Scandic Copenhagen, will the bus stop I get off be Osterport and then catch the S-train from there? When doing a google maps search it mentions to take E62219 to Vesterport. Is that an S-train? So helpful to know that any south bound train will do. Just want to make sure I understand it correctly as we are traveling with kids and therefore don't want to get too lost. Thanks again for your help!

I guess its the train number from the timetable, that won´t be on display on the information screens.

Just look for line A towards Hundige, Solrød Strand or Køge, Line B towards Høje Taastrup, line C towards Ballerup or Frederikssund, E towards Køge or line H towards Frederikssund.

When you get off the bus you just walk up to the pedestrian bridge (straigh ahead and to the left when exiting the bus) then you walk to the very last platform and to the very last track.

The track is called spor 1 or track 1.

I guess its the train number from the timetable, that won´t be on display on the information screens.

Just look for line A towards Hundige, Solrød Strand or Køge, Line B towards Høje Taastrup, line C towards Ballerup or Frederikssund, E towards Køge or line H towards Frederikssund.

When you get off the bus you just walk up to the pedestrian bridge (straigh ahead and to the left when exiting the bus) then you walk to the very last platform and to the very last track.

The track is called spor 1 or track 1.

Do we have to go up the pedestrian bridge? or just towards the bridge, as we will have our luggage with us. Is there a lift or alternative route to get to platform if need to cross the bridge. Thanks!

Danish Viking just want to say thank you for your fantastic advice. We docked in Oceankaj with a pre ordered city pass and used the buses and harbour bus all day. Your fellow countrymen speak great English and are super helpful too. Thank you

Danish Viking just want to say thank you for your fantastic advice. We docked in Oceankaj with a pre ordered city pass and used the buses and harbour bus all day. Your fellow countrymen speak great English and are super helpful too. Thank you

Great to know the city pass worked well! I am hoping to be able to do this as well. Did you receive SMS that morning with the pass or did you use the email they sent you along with your phone number? I'm still trying to figure out the logistics of this as from what I understand wifi will not allow receipt of the SMS and the message is sent to your original phone number from which you originally ordered the pass. How close to the time of activation of the pass was it sent to you. A possibility will be if I put my usual sim card with my number in that morning until the pass is received and then reinsert the sim I've purchased for our time in Europe after the pass is already on my phone.

I have been reading all of your helpful information Danish Viking-thank you! We will be in Copenhagen in a few weeks and I am trying to plan how to get to our hotel with luggage and then again how to get from our hotel to Oceankaj with our luggage. Although you have made it very clear how easy it is to do with the public transportation, I am worried as my husband has some disabilities. He will not be able to carry a suitcase up or down stairs. Should we just take a taxi for these two trips?

Really??? We are so unused to this concept in North America. :D

I'm guessing they earn more money than me (I work in retail) so they don't need anything.

Not to get into my financial situation but I probably get payed 2500 USD after taxes and these guys will at least get payed 3000 after taxes if not even more.

You can off course always be greedy but that's another story. :D

Do we have to go up the pedestrian bridge? or just towards the bridge, as we will have our luggage with us. Is there a lift or alternative route to get to platform if need to cross the bridge. Thanks!

The bus stop is located on the back side of the station so its the only way to cross the tracks.

When I was there a few months ago to do the photo guide they were in the process of building the elevator to the bus stop but it was not ready at that time.

But I have not been at Østerport since and the project website for the rebuild of the station doesn't mention anything.

You can walk a long the street and get to the platform from the main entrance.

But but but

If you take the 25 bus instead of 27 you continue to Nørreport instead and take the same S-trains from there instead.

Here there will 100% be ab elevator :D

I'm guessing they earn more money than me (I work in retail) so they don't need anything.

Not to get into my financial situation but I probably get payed 2500 USD after taxes and these guys will at least get payed 3000 after taxes if not even more.

You can off course always be greedy but that's another story. :D

Interesting. We learn so much about each other when we travel. Of course, I know my husband, who was once a waiter in Texas, USA, and paid 1/2 of minimum wage ($2.50/hour) relied on tips, so he'll automatically tip. He's had to adjust this a bit living in Alberta, Canada, where our minimum wage is set to hit $15/hr. in October.

I have been reading all of your helpful information Danish Viking-thank you! We will be in Copenhagen in a few weeks and I am trying to plan how to get to our hotel with luggage and then again how to get from our hotel to Oceankaj with our luggage. Although you have made it very clear how easy it is to do with the public transportation, I am worried as my husband has some disabilities. He will not be able to carry a suitcase up or down stairs. Should we just take a taxi for these two trips?

Take a taxi.....it's "easy' to travel via public transportation BUT the streets are cobblestone in most places and walking and rolling luggage is difficult for the average person. Since you stated your husband has some disabilities I would do a taxi.

We just got back from our Baltic Cruise from Copenhagen.

We did the train into the city. We managed but the cobblestone was a PITA LOL

To get to the port we did a taxi since more cobblestone streets plus luggage plus bus and figuring out were we were going wasn't worth it to save $$.