Wonderful Copenhagen 2018 edition.

Interesting. We learn so much about each other when we travel. Of course, I know my husband, who was once a waiter in Texas, USA, and paid 1/2 of minimum wage ($2.50/hour) relied on tips, so he'll automatically tip. He's had to adjust this a bit living in Alberta, Canada, where our minimum wage is set to hit $15/hr. in October.

I think part of the problem for North Americans is that we have had (and some places still have) a separate minimum wage for people that are expected to get tips. Because of this, people's wages are being subsidized by tipping, which makes tipping almost required. I don't believe that has ever been the practice in Europe, so they are coming at it from a completely different perspective.

Great to know the city pass worked well! I am hoping to be able to do this as well. Did you receive SMS that morning with the pass or did you use the email they sent you along with your phone number? I'm still trying to figure out the logistics of this as from what I understand wifi will not allow receipt of the SMS and the message is sent to your original phone number from which you originally ordered the pass. How close to the time of activation of the pass was it sent to you. A possibility will be if I put my usual sim card with my number in that morning until the pass is received and then reinsert the sim I've purchased for our time in Europe after the pass is already on my phone.

Hi Twilightstar. We ordered the city pass online a few days before we left and immediately received an email and SMS to confirm. On the morning of docking we received another SMS at the time the city pass was to start both SMS had the same content. I believe if you have the original email and text on your phone that is enough should you be asked.

I have been reading all of your helpful information Danish Viking-thank you! We will be in Copenhagen in a few weeks and I am trying to plan how to get to our hotel with luggage and then again how to get from our hotel to Oceankaj with our luggage. Although you have made it very clear how easy it is to do with the public transportation, I am worried as my husband has some disabilities. He will not be able to carry a suitcase up or down stairs. Should we just take a taxi for these two trips?

We did taxi hotel to airport and it was about $42. Very convenient. A little pricey but it was ok and the guy took a credit card too.

Take a taxi.....it's "easy' to travel via public transportation BUT the streets are cobblestone in most places and walking and rolling luggage is difficult for the average person. Since you stated your husband has some disabilities I would do a taxi.

We just got back from our Baltic Cruise from Copenhagen.

We did the train into the city. We managed but the cobblestone was a PITA LOL

To get to the port we did a taxi since more cobblestone streets plus luggage plus bus and figuring out were we were going wasn't worth it to save $$.

Thanks for the info. He has MS and has issues with balance and strength, so trying to walk with a suitcase down a cobblestone street is definitely not something he can do. Just walking with his walking stick/cane will be enough for him. Thanks for the heads up!

We did taxi hotel to airport and it was about $42. Very convenient. A little pricey but it was ok and the guy took a credit card too.

Thanks for the info! That is about the price I estimated for a regular taxi. There are 11 in our group, so I think my husband and my mom will take a taxi with their luggage to the hotel and the rest of us will do public transit and meet them there. My mom would have a hard time with her luggage too.

The next step up in taxi would be an 8 person mini van and the lowest price I found for that was around 125 usd. We all will have the Copenhagen card, so to spend a lot extra for taxis seems like a waste.

The next step up in taxi would be an 8 person mini van and the lowest price I found for that was around 125 usd. We all will have the Copenhagen card, so to spend a lot extra for taxis seems like a waste.

Just for your info, there are regular minivan taxis that operate on the meter. They are around 50 % more expensive than a regular taxi. They are not as widespread as normal size taxis though

Hi Twilightstar. We ordered the city pass online a few days before we left and immediately received an email and SMS to confirm. On the morning of docking we received another SMS at the time the city pass was to start both SMS had the same content. I believe if you have the original email and text on your phone that is enough should you be asked.

Thank you! This is so helpful to know! So as long as I receive the original SMS it should be fine. Did it have the time/date the ticket is active on the message? Did you just have to show the message to the driver or is there a code that needs to be scanned in.

The bus stop is located on the back side of the station so its the only way to cross the tracks.

When I was there a few months ago to do the photo guide they were in the process of building the elevator to the bus stop but it was not ready at that time.

But I have not been at Østerport since and the project website for the rebuild of the station doesn't mention anything.

You can walk a long the street and get to the platform from the main entrance.

But but but

e

If you take the 25 bus instead of 27 you continue to Nørreport instead and take the same S-trains from there instead.

Here there will 100% be ab elevator :D

Thank you again! Just by your description I think I know exactly what you are talking about. We were on another cruise a few years ago that ended in Copenhagen. We stayed at the Adina hotel that time and walked to the train station to catch the train to the airport. We walked to the main entrance because the pedestrian bridge with little kids and luggage was too much. That must have been Osterport. Is the only stop for 27 at Osterport at the pedestrian bridge? There isn't a stop at the main entrance? And do you mean 25 doesn't stop there at all and I should therefore get off at Norreport. Is the S-train station difficult to find from there. I think Norreport is where we caught the bus to Oceankaj the last time thanks to your photo guide that time. Thanks so much! It's such a relief feeling more oriented before we begin our journey- which starts tomorrow.

I have not read all of the posts here yet. We are not embarking from Copenhagen but will be in port for the day in 2019. What terminal/dock would RCCL Brilliance use for its port and what transportation would be available there

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have not read all of the posts here yet. We are not embarking from Copenhagen but will be in port for the day in 2019. What terminal/dock would RCCL Brilliance use for its port and what transportation would be available there

Just read the first post. It answers your questions.

Netto Bådene and Stromma´s canal tours has gotten a upscale competitor.

Hey Captain runs small 12 person boats (the others seats around 100) and they offer 1 free drink on the tour and else you can buy some more.

http://www.heycaptain.dk/

https://www.stromma.dk/en/copenhagen/

https://www.havnerundfart.dk/canaltours/index.php?page=forside.php

Hi, I'm looking for tour recommendations for four people (two kids 12 &13). We will have a day and 1/2 before our Baltic Cruise. Can you recommend any activities/tours that would be interested for the kids that age? Thank you very much for your help.

Hi, I'm looking for tour recommendations for four people (two kids 12 &13). We will have a day and 1/2 before our Baltic Cruise. Can you recommend any activities/tours that would be interested for the kids that age? Thank you very much for your help.

Tivoli, Rosenberg Castle, Canal Tour, Christainsborg Palace......all stuff we did on our 1.5 days before our cruise with my 13 & 16 year old daughters. Had a great time! I'm in the middle of a review on our trip if you want more information there. Look on NCL board with my name NYCFA. :)

Experimentarium is a kids science museum, maybe its worth a visit.

Copenhagen Zoo is also worth a visit and if your visit is next year then the 2 panda bears should have moved in.

Staying the the animal kingdom then The Blue Planet Aquarium is very interesting to visit.

If you visit Kronborg Castle (Hamlet castle) then the nearby maritime museum is good for a few hours.

Here you can explore Denmarks maritime history.

If Tivoli is in the been there done that category then I can recommend a visit to the oldest amusement park in the world called Bakken.

It is located out in the Deer garden north of Copenhagen, so you can watch the deers as well.

The Viking Ship museum in Roskilde has some old Viking ships on display and its possible to sail on some replicas.

Sagnlandet Lejre shows how it was to live in a village in the Viking and middle ages.

Just ask if you have any questions about transport etc etc.

Will be staying in Copenhagen in the spring for at least 3 days and want to stay close to Nyhavn. I have looked at several hotels there but the 2 I was looking at don't seem to be mentioned much. They are The Admiral and 71 Nyhavn. Are these popular places or just too pricey? Also, I noticed someone mentioned getting a burger and waffle in a place in Nyhavn. That is exactly what I would be looking for due to my very picky eating husband. LOL Are there several places in Nyhavn that have what you might refer to as American food? Also, are there any good bakeries there? Thanks so much for any help.

Judy from SW Florida

Will be staying in Copenhagen in the spring for at least 3 days and want to stay close to Nyhavn. I have looked at several hotels there but the 2 I was looking at don't seem to be mentioned much. They are The Admiral and 71 Nyhavn. Are these popular places or just too pricey? Also, I noticed someone mentioned getting a burger and waffle in a place in Nyhavn. That is exactly what I would be looking for due to my very picky eating husband. LOL Are there several places in Nyhavn that have what you might refer to as American food? Also, are there any good bakeries there? Thanks so much for any help.

Judy from SW Florida

There is a Best Western Plus right by Nyhaun which is priced nicely. We were on the HOHO bus and I saw the burger/gyros small fast food restaurants sign in front and the homemade waffles. We jumped off the HOHO bus and walked over. Burger, fries and soda combo for $8.00. Waffle with ice cream $4.50.

If you went to a sit down restaurant in Nyhavn, burger and beer for two would run you $70.

Judy from SW Florida

I just looked at trip advisor and Nyhavn 71 was rated 5 and Admiral 30 out of the 118 or so hotels in Copenhagen.

Admiral gets some critisism from not having air condition but with the unusual warm summer we are having it is expected.

But since you arrive in the spring this won't affect you.

There is a place nearby at landgreven called gasoline grill that supposedly has the best burger in Copenhagen.

Judy from SW Florida

There are plenty of burger places in Copenhagen. Gasoline Grill, as Danish Viking suggested. But also Halifax and Bronx burger are worth a mention. If you are big meat eaters, 'Madklubben Steak' on Kongens Nytorv (just next to Nyhavn) is relatively inexpensive for their big servings.

For Bakeries, you could try Meyer's bageri or Lagkagehuset. Both are chains with bakeries clsoe to Nyhavn.

Both the metro and the airport train run at night and some busses has night schedules. But if you land at 10 PM then most services runs at the normal evening schedule, the night schedule usually starts at around midnight and 1 AM.

You have 2 options for traveling to Steel House that are located very close to Vesterport S-train station.

If you take the metro you just get off at Nørreport and take any southbound S-train one stop further to Vesterport.

Or if you take the airport train you get off at København H (central station) walk to track 9 and 10 and take any northbound S-train one stop further to Vesterport.

Can you tell me this in reverse (going from vesterport station to the airport it will be 6 am if this makes any difference. We have pretty much figured out the busses in Copenhagen but the metro/trains are still tricky for me!

Thank you! This is so helpful to know! So as long as I receive the original SMS it should be fine. Did it have the time/date the ticket is active on the message? Did you just have to show the message to the driver or is there a code that needs to be scanned in.

We just showed the SMS to the driver but mostly we were waived straight through.