Wonderful Copenhagen 2018 edition.

Thanks to posts on this Forum, we booked the Crowne Plaza Copenhagen Towers before our recent Azamara Cruise. As we were unfamiliar with the area, our primary reason for this choice was the availability of shuttles from the Airport and to the Cruise Terminal. They serviced the Crowne Plaza and the AC Hotel.

The hotel was beautiful and the service, excellent. Not close to the City Center, though.

Abd a little bonus tip, if you arrive 2 days before you can use the full day to visit the castles and palaces of Northern Zealand.

Frederiksborg and Kronborg (Hamlets castle) is the main castles but some also tries to squeeze ind Fredensborg.

Just to follow up on the great advice above -- we just spent three days in Copenhagen prior to a cruise. We used one of those days to take Hamlet Tour's "Grand Day Trip around Copenhagen," which takes you to Frederiksborg, Krongborg, Roskilde Cathedral, and the Viking Ship Museum. It was a long, jam packed day, with not enough time in these places (in hindsight, I think they are trying to do too much), but I want to say that I absolutely loved Frederiksborg Castle, and wish we could have spent at least half a day there. It was extraordinary, sort of like a Danish Versailles.

Here's one image of Frederiksborg Castle:

enhance

Here's the Castle's magnificent coronation chapel:

enhance

(photos by turtles06)

Just to follow up on the great advice above -- we just spent three days in Copenhagen prior to a cruise. We used one of those days to take Hamlet Tour's "Grand Day Trip around Copenhagen," which takes you to Frederiksborg, Krongborg, Roskilde Cathedral, and the Viking Ship Museum. It was a long, jam packed day, with not enough time in these places (in hindsight, I think they are trying to do too much), but I want to say that I absolutely loved Frederiksborg Castle, and wish we could have spent at least half a day there. It was extraordinary, sort of like a Danish Versailles.

Here's one image of Frederiksborg Castle:

enhance

Here's the Castle's magnificent coronation chapel:

enhance

(photos by turtles06)

Thank you Turtles06. I have booked two nights near Frederiksberg and plan to visit the Castle and Gardens. I was frustrated with being unable to find affordable accommodation in Copenhagen on 19/9. (Is there something on that date?) You have to love Cruise Critic! I had already booked accommodation in Copenhagen near Tivoli on 21/9, so will visit Tivoli one day and walk around Copenhagen on another. A perfect solution!

I hope I’m not suggesting something against the rules. Have you tried hotels.com or Booking.com? You might find possibilities you haven’t known about.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for your response. Yes, I had tried lots of booking engines, without success. As I have visited Copenhagen on a number of occasions, I know it is expensive for Australians, however, the prices being asked were ridiculous for that particular date (19/9).

Thank you Turtles06. I have booked two nights near Frederiksberg and plan to visit the Castle and Gardens. I was frustrated with being unable to find affordable accommodation in Copenhagen on 19/9. (Is there something on that date?) You have to love Cruise Critic! I had already booked accommodation in Copenhagen near Tivoli on 21/9, so will visit Tivoli one day and walk around Copenhagen on another. A perfect solution!

Frederiksberg and Frederiksborg is 30 miles apart or so.

Frederiksborg Palace is located in Hillerød.

I have recently read about the Wooden Giants, is it difficult to see even a couple of them using public transportation? The map you can get is not very clear on where they are. Thank you.

The forgotten giants are meant as a sort of treasure hunt, so that's why the maps are not that elaborate.

You can definitely see some of them with public transport although it would require a bit of walking. An even better idea is to bring bikes on the S-train and bike the last mile to the giants. That will also give you time to visit a few more of them.

Bikes are frree and very easy to bring on the S-train.

The best way to do it is to take the S-train to Brøndbyøster and find troll number 1, then bike to troll number 2.

Then either take the S-train from Avedøre to Ishøj or bike all the way to troll number 3.

Then go to troll 4 and 5 and then bike to troll number 6.

Take the short trip to Høje Taastrup and take a regular train back to Copenhagen as it is quicker than the S-train.

The double decker trains has room for bikes in the front carriage (the end of the train further away from the locomotive)

The best way to do it is to take the S-train to Brøndbyøster and find troll number 1, then bike to troll number 2.

Then either take the S-train from Avedøre to Ishøj or bike all the way to troll number 3.

Then go to troll 4 and 5 and then bike to troll number 6.

Take the short trip to Høje Taastrup and take a regular train back to Copenhagen as it is quicker than the S-train.

The double decker trains has room for bikes in the front carriage (the end of the train further away from the locomotive)

Thank you very much for your information, we’ll have to try it maybe see just a couple of them!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2018 at 2:09 AM, Danish viking said:

That and Nørreport is the closest metro station.
The S-train will drop you off closer to the terminal but Østerport is under reconstruction so it can be hard to find the taxi stand and I don't know how easy it is to get a taxi from Nordhavn.

Only if you dock at Terminal 3 its a long walk from the bus stop.

The bus stop is right outside terminal 1 and a very short walk to terminal 2.

C331 is terminal 1 so the bus will drop you off at the terminal.

Thanks Danish Viking,

We were in Copenhagen for five days in 2014 before our cruise and loved it.

We have another cruise on Royal Caribbean going to the Arctic Circle of Norway 9 June 19.

Not sure if we will be at same cruise terminal as with Norwegian Star in 2014.

I did find this information on the internet:

Cruise ship terminal directions and parking

• Taxis are available at the Oceankaj Pier. The easiest way to get to the pier is by taxi. For port of call stops at Oceankaj, the shipping lines usually provide bus shuttles to the city centre (stopping in front of St Peter's Church). The shuttle service is the preferable choice since public transportation options at Ocean Quay are limited.
  • Bus line 26 has a bus stop in Sundkrogsgade - some 50 m / 70 ft outside the port's entrance. Bus 26 service (to/from the port) is not available on Saturdays and Sundays.
  • The Free Port Terminals piers Levantkaj and Orientkaj are at 10-15 min walking distance from the Nordhavn S-Tog (commuter rail) train station. Trains leave from Nordhavn Station every 5 min (going to Central Station). Tickets must be bought at the train station.
  • In 2015 was opened a new Bus 25 route between Norreport and Oceankaj. The Bus 25 line runs only when cruise ships are docked in port.
  • Bus 27 route (Osterport station to Oceankaj) service is between 6 am to 7 pm (Monday to Friday) and between 8 am to 6 pm on weekends.
  • From Central Station, the Copenhagen Airport (CPH, international airport) is accessible via the regular rail network and the city metro (from Kongens Nytorv, a 3-zone ticket is needed). Take the metro to Norreport Station, then transfer to Bus 25 or (if not operational) take the S-Tog (commuter rail) one stop to Osterport. Cross the tracks via the pedestrian overpass to the Bus 27 stop or take the S-Tog to Nordhavn (from the station continue by taxi).

We arrive in Copenhagen by train from Stockholm and will stay at the Crown Plaza Copenhagen Towers, near the Ørestad rail station.  I know this runs from the main train station in Copenhagen, not sure we want to shlep our luggage using that, but we might.

I suspect taking a taxi to the cruise port would be far less complex with luggage than using the trains, METRO and/or bus?  What do you think?

We're probably going to be staying at the Crown Plaza Copenhagen Towers as well for our cruise next October.  If we do, I'm planning on taking a train to Osterport St. station and catch bus 25 from there to the port.  I don't anticipate any issues with luggage on the train, and the bus is a dedicated bus which only runs when a ship is in port, so they should be set up to accommodate luggage.  The bus stop is very near terminals 1 & 2, so you'll only have a walk if the ship is at terminal 3.

Taking a taxi is always less complex than taking public transportation, but in Copenhagen it’s also about 10x as expensive (or 5x for two people).  It just depends on whether you’d rather spend the money or the time.

Having said that, we used public transportation to get from the airport to the city, from the city to the cruise ship and from the cruise ship to the airport.  It was all pretty straightforward and we had no problems.  

HOWEVER, if you are carrying more than a carryon (roller) suitcase and a tote bag, then I would not recommend trying to use public transportation.  You have to be able to load and unload your own bags and space on the buses for luggage is finite.

On 10/16/2018 at 6:21 PM, 4774Papa said:

Thanks Danish Viking,

We were in Copenhagen for five days in 2014 before our cruise and loved it.

We have another cruise on Royal Caribbean going to the Arctic Circle of Norway 9 June 19.

Not sure if we will be at same cruise terminal as with Norwegian Star in 2014.

I did find this information on the internet:

Cruise ship terminal directions and parking

• Taxis are available at the Oceankaj Pier. The easiest way to get to the pier is by taxi. For port of call stops at Oceankaj, the shipping lines usually provide bus shuttles to the city centre (stopping in front of St Peter's Church). The shuttle service is the preferable choice since public transportation options at Ocean Quay are limited.
  • Bus line 26 has a bus stop in Sundkrogsgade - some 50 m / 70 ft outside the port's entrance. Bus 26 service (to/from the port) is not available on Saturdays and Sundays.
  • The Free Port Terminals piers Levantkaj and Orientkaj are at 10-15 min walking distance from the Nordhavn S-Tog (commuter rail) train station. Trains leave from Nordhavn Station every 5 min (going to Central Station). Tickets must be bought at the train station.
  • In 2015 was opened a new Bus 25 route between Norreport and Oceankaj. The Bus 25 line runs only when cruise ships are docked in port.
  • Bus 27 route (Osterport station to Oceankaj) service is between 6 am to 7 pm (Monday to Friday) and between 8 am to 6 pm on weekends.
  • From Central Station, the Copenhagen Airport (CPH, international airport) is accessible via the regular rail network and the city metro (from Kongens Nytorv, a 3-zone ticket is needed). Take the metro to Norreport Station, then transfer to Bus 25 or (if not operational) take the S-Tog (commuter rail) one stop to Osterport. Cross the tracks via the pedestrian overpass to the Bus 27 stop or take the S-Tog to Nordhavn (from the station continue by taxi).

We arrive in Copenhagen by train from Stockholm and will stay at the Crown Plaza Copenhagen Towers, near the Ørestad rail station.  I know this runs from the main train station in Copenhagen, not sure we want to shlep our luggage using that, but we might.

I suspect taking a taxi to the cruise port would be far less complex with luggage than using the trains, METRO and/or bus?  What do you think?

There is some outdated info. 

First, bus 26 only goes to Langeliniekaj. 

You'll need bus 25 or 27 instead. 

Levantkaj and Orientkaj is not used anymore

Only Oceankaj, Langelinie and Nordre Toldbod. 

I'll guess that its possible to use the  ferry terminal at Søndre Frihavn as well but I have never seen that one in use for cruise ships before. 

Hotel accommodation in Copenhagen on 19/9 was overpriced, so I decided to stay two nights at Hotel Hillerod, near Frederiksborg Castle.

I am just reporting back to say that I was delighted with my decision to stay in this hotel at Hillerod, in lieu of Copenhagen.  I loved this hotel, with its huge ground floor room (great for sorting luggage for future travels), friendly and helpful staff and generous delicious breakfast.  I spent the morning walking in the woods and the beautiful gardens of the Castle and the afternoon at the National Historic Museum in the Castle.  It was easy to get there from Copenhagen Airport, with a change of trains at Central. 

I had also booked one night at Comfort Hotel, Vesterbro to attend the Tivoli, but didn't end up visiting the Tivoli because it was raining.  

Edited by MMDown Under

• 2 weeks later...

Some statistic has been revealed for the hotel industry in the Nordic countries. 

These numbers are for July, August and September. 

The average price for a hotel room in these months were 146 Euro and the occupancy rate was 89%.

Over the next 3-4 years there will be 35% more hotel rooms available so I think the prices will be lower compared to now. 

2 current openings is Scandic Kødbyen (Meat packing district) with around 300 rooms and Wake Up hotel Bernstoffsgade with around 600 rooms.

Later this year CitizenM - Dagmarhus at the city hall square opens with 230 rooms but else most of the capacity will be added in 2019 and 2020.

In 2019 these hotels will open

Go Hotel Copenhagen - 100 rooms

Moxy by Marriott - 228 rooms

Scandic Falconer - 332 rooms

Hotel Ophelia (spelling) - 156 rooms

Cabinn Kalvebod Brygge (no name yet) - 1200 rooms

Hotel Guldsmeden Bryggen (also no name yet) - 200 rooms

2020 (Copenhagen will host 4 games of the Euro 2020 soccer championship, so they will probably try to get these hotels done by May) 

Zleep Hotel Copenhagen Arena - 211 rooms

Choice Hotels Postgården - 380 rooms 

Choice hotels Copenhagen Airport - 619 rooms

Scandic Copenhagen Airport - 357 rooms

Hilton Copenhagen City - 400 rooms

Comwell Nordhavnen - 484 rooms

Wake Up hotel Borgergade - 270 room expansion of current hotel

Scandic Spectrum - 632 rooms. 

So alot to look forward to, especially lower prices 🙂

When I use Google Maps for my route from hotel (Crowne Plaza Copenhagen Towers) to Tivoli, it gives me two train options. One is 29 and the other Öresundståg. Are these two options the same? They leave at the same time. If they aren’t the same, could someone explain the difference?

I’ve learned so much from this post and this site! Thank you to all who contribute!

2 hours ago, Bama2georgia said:

When I use Google Maps for my route from hotel (Crowne Plaza Copenhagen Towers) to Tivoli, it gives me two train options. One is 29 and the other Öresundståg. Are these two options the same? They leave at the same time. If they aren’t the same, could someone explain the difference?

Yes, it's the same option. 029 is just a train number. I don't know google maps shows it as different options.The only other option you have is to take bus 33. But that is a lot slower.

We spent three days in Copenhagen this past August, late in the month, and I would say it was mobbed with tourists. We had great weather, though, and really enjoyed walking around the city, as well as taking a full day tour outside the city.

The timing was dictated by a special cruise we were taking. Otherwise, we try to avoid Europe in the summer. 

As a local, I can say, that I don't feel like Copenhagen is mobbed with tourists like Venice and Rome. There are a lot of tourists, and the number of tourists has been rising, but it's not nearly as bad as (for example) in Venice. But during the summer months, there will, of course, be a lot of people near the main sights.

We were in Copenhagen May/June last year. It was busy and 'alive' but not too crowded. It was easy to get around on foot and we are looking forward to a return visit next year, also in May/June but staying a few days longer.

You just have to look out for the cyclists when crossing the road.

Jim