Spending Time In Victoria - Photo Tour

Again for a first time visit I would highly recommend a visit to Butchart Gardens. It is spectacular.

But if that is not of interest or if you have visited there before think about walking or taking the shuttle downtown.

Depending on the time you have, consider afternoon tea, lunch or even dinner or taking a tour by bus.

Lots of options.

A beautiful city.

We have another cruise planned that includes a stop here. Cant' wait.

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much for the tour! As an avid (anal) planner, this was one of the mysteries for me that I didn't find elsewhere...the walk from cruise pier to downtown.

We are fit enough to do it and I have a rental car reserved at Budget (behind the Fairmont Empress Hotel) to drive to Butchart Gardens, (maybe) Victoria Butterfly Gardens, and (maybe) see Craigdarroch Castle; however, I think we'll want to reserve some time to walk around town like you did (if the weather is nice).

Thank you so much for the tour! As an avid (anal) planner, this was one of the mysteries for me that I didn't find elsewhere...the walk from cruise pier to downtown.

We are fit enough to do it and I have a rental car reserved at Budget (behind the Fairmont Empress Hotel) to drive to Butchart Gardens, (maybe) Victoria Butterfly Gardens, and (maybe) see Craigdarroch Castle; however, I think we'll want to reserve some time to walk around town like you did (if the weather is nice).

Joe, I am glad you found the photos helpful.

Wishing you a terrific time.

Keith

Thanks for sharing your photos! My family and I will have a stop here on our Inside Passage trip this summer. We will only be in Victoria from 7 to 11 pm and didn't feel like that was really enough time to take in Butchart Gardens. Instead, I think we're just going to walk into town, have a look around, and then find a good pub and have a properly drawn pint. I appreciate the walking directions from the dock--I haven't found anything close to yours on the Internet, and believe me, I've looked. :D

Great pictures! The houseboats remind me of Sausalito, CA. I am going to Victoria for the first time in the fall. I was planning on just spending time in town but now I am thinking about the gardens. Walking is no issue....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Glad you liked the photos.

Have a great time on your visit.

Keith

Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful pictures. My son and I will be cruising to Alaska on Jun3 3rd. Our last port is Victoria. We will be there from 7pm to 11:59 pm. I have searched everywhere for good information about walking into town from the port. Your commentary is the best that I have seen. He wants to walk into town, instead of going on an organized tour. I am directionally challenged, so I am a little nervous about it. However, it looks well marked from your pictures. Are there places along the way to souvenir shop and have a beer? My son loves to souvenir shop and having a beer would be the icing on the cake for him.

I have been to Victoria several times, but I have never walked into town on my own. The walk into town by the water looks like the way to do it.

Thank you again for all the photos and information.

Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful pictures. My son and I will be cruising to Alaska on Jun3 3rd. Our last port is Victoria. We will be there from 7pm to 11:59 pm. I have searched everywhere for good information about walking into town from the port. Your commentary is the best that I have seen. He wants to walk into town, instead of going on an organized tour. I am directionally challenged, so I am a little nervous about it. However, it looks well marked from your pictures. Are there places along the way to souvenir shop and have a beer? My son loves to souvenir shop and having a beer would be the icing on the cake for him.

I have been to Victoria several times, but I have never walked into town on my own. The walk into town by the water looks like the way to do it.

Thank you again for all the photos and information.

I am so glad that you found the photos helpful.

Once in town he will most likely be able to have a beer.

I do think that as you walk along the path with the water on the left side that around the area where there were a few places with restaurants that there will also be a place to stop for a beer.

Keith

Thanks for sharing your photos! My family and I will have a stop here on our Inside Passage trip this summer. We will only be in Victoria from 7 to 11 pm and didn't feel like that was really enough time to take in Butchart Gardens. Instead, I think we're just going to walk into town, have a look around, and then find a good pub and have a properly drawn pint. I appreciate the walking directions from the dock--I haven't found anything close to yours on the Internet, and believe me, I've looked. :D

Not to detract from Keith's photos, but you may find an actual map a bit handier to print/stick on your phone and take with you than many pictures. Start with this page - the middle one especially is useful for wandering, with several heritage homes listed as well as the 'how to walk to the Empress/Chinatown' route. Swans Brewpub is on Pandora, just to the left of the little castle symbol marking historic Chinatown - they'll pull you the most authentic pint in the city; hand-pulled, naturally carbonated English style beers served at correct cellar temp. Spinnakers also has a proper cellar, but their hand-pulled beers are not as consistent - the upstairs bar especially has too long a line from the cellar so needs pump-assistance which froths the beer more. Plus the beer sometimes sits in the line too long - unless it's being ordered frequently it can easily warm up TOO much.

• Thanks 1

Not to detract from Keith's photos, but you may find an actual map a bit handier to print/stick on your phone and take with you than many pictures. Start with this page - the middle one especially is useful for wandering, with several heritage homes listed as well as the 'how to walk to the Empress/Chinatown' route. Swans Brewpub is on Pandora, just to the left of the little castle symbol marking historic Chinatown - they'll pull you the most authentic pint in the city; hand-pulled, naturally carbonated English style beers served at correct cellar temp. Spinnakers also has a proper cellar, but their hand-pulled beers are not as consistent - the upstairs bar especially has too long a line from the cellar so needs pump-assistance which froths the beer more. Plus the beer sometimes sits in the line too long - unless it's being ordered frequently it can easily warm up TOO much.

Thanks for the Google map for Victoria, it's very helpful as well.

Thanks for the helpful advice and the link to the maps. I had read somewhere about Swan's pulling the best authentic pint; sounds like we'll definitely make our way there. Cheers! :beer-toast:

I have a question....going on a cruise with one day in Victoria. If I get off the ship early, will I be able to go (by bus) to Butchart Gardens for a couple hours and spend a few hours in town in the afternoon? I really like architecture and scenery so I want to spend at least a few hours in town. Thanks, Dena

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have a question....going on a cruise with one day in Victoria. If I get off the ship early, will I be able to go (by bus) to Butchart Gardens for a couple hours and spend a few hours in town in the afternoon? I really like architecture and scenery so I want to spend at least a few hours in town. Thanks, Dena

It's well over an hour each way by public transit ($5pp for a day pass) but it's easy, no transfers required if you can walk 20mins and only one transfer even if you only want to walk over the street from the pier - if you do have one of the rare full days in Victoria, it's totally feasible and will save you a packet.

CVS run shuttle buses from downtown quite frequently that cut the travel time to about 30mins - now they all include the Butterfly gardens in the price though, so unless you do want to visit both that and Butchart the value is lower than it used to be (~$75pp incl entry to both attractions - Butchart itself is over $30pp for all of cruise season).

Cabs would be even quicker (not so much at the driving part, but they save time as you do not need to wait for the next bus departure which is at most hourly) and run about $60 each way regardless of how many bums are on seats (in theory up to 6).

For a group with a daytime port stop, a rental car is probably the most sensible way to do the gardens - total flexibility of timing and much less than a bus or cab when split between a few people.

If you're on a Seattle RT though odds are that a) your port 'day' will be six hours or less, and b) will have a late afternoon or even an early evening arrival time. Often Butchart is closed by the time you dock in shoulder season, and even in peak summer with long days most folks are stuck with a very narrow window of sunlight at Butchart. Downtown however looks quite delightful at night, with many buildings lit up.

NB: all $ = Canadian above. Ship tours to Butchart are often seen as the only safe option for short, evening port stops but those greedy bar-stewards at the cruiselines know that and charge through the nose - usually both a large number AND in USD, for a premium of a third or more over the Canadian pricing!

Again for a first time visit I would highly recommend a visit to Butchart Gardens. It is spectacular.

But if that is not of interest or if you have visited there before think about walking or taking the shuttle downtown.

Depending on the time you have, consider afternoon tea, lunch or even dinner or taking a tour by bus.

Lots of options.

A beautiful city.

We have another cruise planned that includes a stop here. Cant' wait.

Keith

Keith thank you for sharing your pictures, we will be there in Oct/14/2019, Vancouver-LA (3rd leg of our Eclipse cruise). Very helpful to do a better plan.

Gerardo

Keith thank you for sharing your pictures, we will be there in Oct/14/2019, Vancouver-LA (3rd leg of our Eclipse cruise). Very helpful to do a better plan.

Gerardo

Gerardo:

You are very welcome and I wish you a wonderful cruise.

Keith