Public Bus to Smith's Cove

Seavoyage

Hi All - I have read getting a public bus to Smith's Cove is possible...has anyone done this from Downtown Edward St. Bus Station? If so, how did it work out ~ any issues getting back into town? Thank you in advance for your time and advice...

Hi All - I have read getting a public bus to Smith's Cove is possible...has anyone done this from Downtown Edward St. Bus Station? If so, how did it work out ~ any issues getting back into town? Thank you in advance for your time and advice...

{ domt think there is any easy way to from the public bus to the pier carrying luggage.

Here is the map that shows the transit near Smith Cove.

http://kingcounty.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=3e239c9048604de8a1c73b72679bc82e

{ domt think there is any easy way to from the public bus to the pier carrying luggage.

Here is the map that shows the transit near Smith Cove.

http://kingcounty.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=3e239c9048604de8a1c73b72679bc82e

Oh Thank you - won't have luggage - just there for the day from cruise ship...seems like such a difficult place to get to....

The buses are fine...they run regularly. Walk to the road and wait for the next one! Very easy!

That works fine along the Seven Mile Beach and West Bay corridor, less so along the routes to the south and east, which don't run on anything like as regular a schedule, in my experience.

If my time on island was limited, I would be taking a taxi to get to Smith Cove.

And definitely agree with TravellingBritNY above. It doesn't really seem like the buses are on any schedule at all. They come when they come.

But buses are definitely more frequent between the depot in George Town and the district of West Bay than to any other destination on the island. The good news is those are exactly the needed routes for our cruise ship visitors visiting some of the most popular destinations such as Seven Mile Beach or the Turtle Farm. Rarely would I expect a wait of more than five minutes for a bus along those routes during cruise ship visitor hours. :)

But a trip to East End or North Side by bus? You might wait for an hour and then see two or even three buses pass within 5 minutes out there. :( Best stick to a rental car for visits to destinations in those eastern district such as Rum Point, the Botanic Park, the Blowholes, or the Cayman Crystal Caves.

For whatever reason bus service in the South Church St area, where Smith Cove and Sunset House are located, is really very inconsistent. For those destinations I concur that a taxi will be much more reliable.

Ah - thank you all for your time and advice. We always like an adventure - might try getting to Smith's from the main bus station on Edwards St. in Georgetown then walking back to dock - there appears to be a little bar call Sunset house on main strip back (anyone been there?)- might be nice to stop for a drink after snorkel...appears it's about 2 miles from cruise dock - that's not too bad as long as it's not horribly hot....maybe we can call a taxi from there....either way pretty sure we can get a taxi at the dock if it seems to crazy when we get into port - especially given we have to tender in....again many thanks! Watched some Youtube videos last night - now it's a quest!:D

• 4 months later...

enhance

Sunset House property is about 3/4 mile ... to the bar (My Bar) and dive shop about 1 mile.

Smith's Cove about 1 mile beyond ....

I've walked town to Sunset and return may times .. even carrying dive gear for two! (no tanks or weights)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/27/2018 at 9:39 PM, Capt_BJ said:

enhance

Sunset House property is about 3/4 mile ... to the bar (My Bar) and dive shop about 1 mile.

Smith's Cove about 1 mile beyond ....

I've walked town to Sunset and return may times .. even carrying dive gear for two! (no tanks or weights)

Hi Capt BJ, what is the current situation re buses past your place from George Town and on to Smith Cove/Barcadere? I'd like to do a bit of snorkelling there, having been to GC twice before but my wife just wants to chill out and I couldn't see anywhere to rent a beach bed in that area so was thinking of getting the bus out and walking back via your bar? We'll be there on Wed, 12th Feb. Thanks, Kev

On 1/25/2020 at 8:49 AM, passionfortravel said:

Hi Capt BJ, what is the current situation re buses past your place from George Town and on to Smith Cove/Barcadere? I'd like to do a bit of snorkelling there, having been to GC twice before but my wife just wants to chill out and I couldn't see anywhere to rent a beach bed in that area so was thinking of getting the bus out and walking back via your bar? We'll be there on Wed, 12th Feb. Thanks, Kev

Just for clarity, the name of the bar is "My Bar" - it is not "Capt BJ's bar"

Edited by CT Sean
  • Haha 1

We did this 2 years ago, great beach and snorkelling, no facilities though. We walked down (2 60 year olds) with a group of youngsters. We didn't want to walk back so waited for the bus. Waited over an hour, starting to panic, trying to get a taxi stop, but they were all full, heading back to port. Finally someone stopped to take pix of the scenery (she was a professional photographer on a private tour). She let us ride along and we gave her $20. Looking back now it was a fun adventure, but at the time we were really panicked about getting back in time.

if you get 'stuck' at Smith's

the walk to Sunset House / My Bar and they will call you a taxi ..... no problem. there's OFTEN taxi hanging out there waiting for a fare ....

My Bar

Just minutes from George Town, Grand Cayman, My Bar and Sea Harvest Restaurant, located at Sunset House, are the essential Caribbean experience.

My Bar is a huge open-sided, thatch-roofed cabana with the largest, and at times the liveliest, outdoor bar in Grand Cayman. This ‘Best of Caribbean’ award winner has been a favorite for tourists and locals for the past 60 years. Standing on the water’s edge at Sunset House, it is, for many people, the location of treasured memories. Appealing to young and old it occupies a central place in the life of the Island. 

Edited by Capt_BJ

23 hours ago, disneykins said:

We did this 2 years ago, great beach and snorkelling, no facilities though.

We were just there a couple months ago and they now have bathrooms with outdoor showers

Edited by CT Sean

yes, there has been a simple set of bathrooms and outdoor shower for a long time ... and a few picnic tables .... but no food/drink or rental snork' gear etc.  Occasionally an ice cream vendor is hanging around.

So brink your own water/drinks ....

another reason I recommend walking to Sunset House for the return trip!

• 2 years later...
On 1/28/2020 at 4:08 PM, Capt_BJ said:

yes, there has been a simple set of bathrooms and outdoor shower for a long time ... and a few picnic tables .... but no food/drink or rental snork' gear etc.  Occasionally an ice cream vendor is hanging around.

So brink your own water/drinks ....

another reason I recommend walking to Sunset House for the return trip!

Is Sunset House and My Bar still open post Covid?  Thanks.