Is the Steakhouse worth it?

sabanknight

Was considering booking the Steakhouse and pick up the complimentary wine on night one. Is the Steakhouse really worth the price, compared to the MDR I already paid for? Have never tried it, curious what veterans of the Steakhouse think. Does it vary from ship to ship, or just changes the name? Going on the Glory if that's the case.

Going on the same cruise :cool: We were going to go on Wednesday for our anniversary, but I've hearing bad reviews lately.

Was considering booking the Steakhouse and pick up the complimentary wine on night one. Is the Steakhouse really worth the price, compared to the MDR I already paid for? Have never tried it, curious what veterans of the Steakhouse think. Does it vary from ship to ship, or just changes the name? Going on the Glory if that's the case.

I cant really say, because to date, after 8 Carnival cruises, have not tried it. I have always been happy with the offerings/menu in the dining room, so never ventured there. I did briefly consider it last cruise while on the cruise, but when I called to reserve was told there was nothing in my time frame available that night. After that, I just forgot about it. But still, think that the deal with the wine on the first night is a good one. But, if you choose that, I recommend you book a dining time ahead of the cruise, just not to be disappointed. Even if you don't like the wine that is free, you can get 50pc off other wines.

I think it comes down to this - When you decide to go out for steak, would you choose Smith & Wollensky for a 16 oz boneless ribeye ( $54) or Texas Road House for 16 oz boneless ribeye for $22?

Some would say the Texas Road House is fine and the price is right - others would laugh and say there is no comparison between the two. Texas Road House fans should always save their money and eat in the MDR. For the the person who is willing to spend twice as much and thinks they can tell the difference, the Steakhouse on board is a steal. Just my opinion.

We tried it for the first time on the Liberty and then again on the Dream. After dining at specialty restaurants on several cruise lines, including the Pinnacle Grill on Holland America, I can say that this is one of the best dining experiences at sea and well worth it.

If you’re someone who appreciates a finer dining experience, and if you’re someone who would enjoy stepping away from the hustle and bustle from the MDR crowds for the night, then the Steakhouse is for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think it comes down to this - When you decide to go out for steak, would you choose Smith & Wollensky for a 16 oz boneless ribeye ( $54) or Texas Road House for 16 oz boneless ribeye for $22?

Some would say the Texas Road House is fine and the price is right - others would laugh and say there is no comparison between the two. Texas Road House fans should always save their money and eat in the MDR. For the the person who is willing to spend twice as much and thinks they can tell the difference, the Steakhouse on board is a steal. Just my opinion.

I wholeheartedly disagree. My wife and I don’t like the steakhouse on the ship because it IS Texas Roadhouse quality at best. We have restaurants like Del Frisco’s and The Buckhorn Exchange in our city, and for nearly the same price as on the ship you can get a cut of meat TO DIE FOR here.

Food is pretty subjective so I’m not surprised someone thinks an on ship steakhouse should even be mentioned in the same breath as a place like S&W or Del Frisco’s.

We haven't been to the steakhouse yet as there isn't one on the Fantasy-Class, but we did get the NY Strips in the MDR from the Steakhouse Selections menu on one night, the entrees weren't really that appealing and we felt like treating ourselves, and they were great! So, we made reservations for the one on the Miracle to get the full experience!

I wholeheartedly disagree. My wife and I don’t like the steakhouse on the ship because it IS Texas Roadhouse quality at best. We have restaurants like Del Frisco’s and The Buckhorn Exchange in our city, and for nearly the same price as on the ship you can get a cut of meat TO DIE FOR here.

Food is pretty subjective so I’m not surprised someone thinks an on ship steakhouse should even be mentioned in the same breath as a place like S&W or Del Frisco’s.

I think you missed my point - but I agree food is subjective. I was not saying the ship's steak was of either caliber - just that depending on your personal perspective, that would determine if it was 'worth it' to you.

BTW, I have been to The Buckhorn - you are very lucky to have that establishment in your backyard.

The steakhouse is fantastic. If I’m on a ship with speciality restaurants, I’m trying to only eat at those restaurants. The MDR food is not great/terrible. I would compare the MDR to Applebee’s I feel.

I’m just going to assume you are addressing me even though you did not quote my post. I eat cold leftover steak & the veggies from steakhouses all the time. I typically eat 6 x’s a day so have been known to pick at my leftovers later that evening or throughout the following day. I do not eat in buffets in regular life so have no intention of eating in the buffet on my cruise. Now, am I worthy of an actual answer to my question or would you like to know more about my eating habits, Coevan?

You can 10 meals a day on the ship. What if you cabin fridge is more than 40 degrees? Where are you going to store your steak? A case of food poisoning could easily kill 2 days of your vacation. Why would I give a crap about your eating habits.

It is a nice treat if you enjoy fine dining, and we usually enjoy it once a cruise. However, the MDR food is good enough that I am not disappointed my next cruise does not have a Steakhouse. We'll save the money we would have spent at it :D!

3easy questions

1 on the first night if we go we don’t have to wear a suit and 2 please explain about the wine?

3rd ? Do we tip or is that included in the $35?

1. No suit, nicely dressed - no shorts

2. You receive a bottle of wine - not sure if you get a choice

3. Gratuity is included but feel free to offer additional tip for great experience.

1. No suit, nicely dressed - no shorts

2. You receive a bottle of wine - not sure if you get a choice

3. Gratuity is included but feel free to offer additional tip for great experience.

Thanks so then in your opinion what time would you choose on the first night and this is for the Vista!