Is the Steakhouse worth it?

sabanknight

Thanks so then in your opinion what time would you choose on the first night and this is for the Vista!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On the Freedom in February - we were told we could wear shorts with collared shirts on non-elegant night. That is exactly what we did. We were treated great and loved the meal. The spice rubbed ribeye is worth every penny.

I see both sides. I love the steak houses. My husband does also but can't see spending the extra money. I am going on the Sunshine and can't wait to try JiJi's and I will convince him to go to the steak house. Everyone should try it once because it is fine dining.

Wife and I went to Steakhouse on 1st cruise 10 years ago...on Liberty. Everything was great...service, food etc.

If it is the same now, go there very hungry. My wife is a lite eater....I can put down a lot of food. Got through main courses which were generous and time for desert. My wife passed and I thought I could put down a slice of cheesecake..small slice.

While waiting, saw waiter bring cheesecake to next table. OMG! It was huge! Looked like it could easily feed 4. Wife and my mouths dropped. Hoped they ordered extra sized slice. Nope...we got ours and same size. Wife had couple of bites i had a few...still leaving half/ Don't like to waste food...we took it back to room and them to put ice in carry out...3 hours later finished

Nevermind.... it isnt available on our ship, which is why I cant find it. :):):):)clear.png?emoji-smile-1742:)
Hope you enjoy your upcoming cruise, but next time, book one of the new larger ships that have all of the bells and whistles so you can enjoy all that Carnival has to offer, like the Horizon, Panorama or Vista.

Nevermind.... it isnt available on our ship, which is why I cant find it.

I didn't realize there were ships that didn't offer any steakhouse. On the bright side, there's $70 (assuming from your screen name) that you can use toward something else;). Enjoy your cruise!

Hope you enjoy your upcoming cruise, but next time, book one of the new larger ships that have all of the bells and whistles so you can enjoy all that Carnival has to offer, like the Horizon, Panorama or Vista.

There are also smaller ships with quite a few of the bells and whistles. We really enjoyed the Pride when we tried her earlier this year. She's close to home (no flying(y)), has most of the bells and whistles, but is still fairly small (for an ocean cruise ship).

I'm sure the new ships are nice too, but not necessarily for everyone. Sail what fits for you:)

We went to the Steakhouse for the first time when we had a few hundred dollars in OBC from price drops so figured why not and we were hooked!! They steaks are huge and have never had one dish that wasn't fantabulous including the bread selections. Haven't been since August and the new menu. I will miss the cheesecake which was the best I've ever eaten but I hear the new art dessert must be seen. Plus you're too full at that point to eat anyway. So yes, yes yes it's worth it.

• Like 1

We cruised on the Valor in February and had dinner at the steak house (Scarlett's). From the amuse bouche through dessert, everything was delicious. The servers were friendly, the wine list was decent as were the prices for bottles. Not sure if this is served on other ships, but the eggplant tapenade that was served with the bread basket was really delicious, and they gave me a small to go container with some more bread so I could snack later.

This was our first cruise, so my experience is limited, but there is no way we could have the meal (for two!), with a bottle of wine, at Taste of Texas or Capitol Grill for the $125 we paid for the meal and wine we had at Scarletts! I say go for it!

Nevermind.... it isnt available on our ship, which is why I cant find it. :):):):)clear.png?emoji-smile-1742:)

While it's not the full steakhouse experience, they offer a few of the steakhouse entrees in the MDR for $20 each. The NY Strips we got were totally worth it IMO. I can't wait to try the steakhouse on the Miracle next month, 29 more days!!

We are definitely going to keep cruising, as long as my hubby doesn't get insanely seasick or something crazy. Our kids are all mad at us that we are going without them so we are going to try to do another one with the whole family next.

We did get confirmation today that we get the do the "Chef's table" which I am super excited about. Thinking about keeping that a surprise for the hubby. :evilsmile:

We did get confirmation today that we get the do the "Chef's table" which I am super excited about. Thinking about keeping that a surprise for the hubby. :evilsmile:

I'm planning on doing that for our cruise in November, it's for our anniversary and I want to do something special we've never done before. I figure if I start stashing away a few extra bucks now, I can secretly pay for it later without him knowing :D

I'm just responding to the post about not paying 35$ on land for a good steakhouse. Thought I volunteer this:

Del Frisco's participates in Philadelphia restaurant week & is 35$ for 3 course. :) probably other cities too.

Morton's sometimes have prix fixe meal coupon for 40$pp. :)

When not on a cruise, try these deals!

We have a steakhouse near us in Buffalo, NY called Russels, which is the very best in fine dining, with a dress code to even enter. $35 would not even pay for your steak there! My hubby and I had a $100 gift certificate for dinner there, and after salad, soup, steak, potatoe, shared desert, one glass of wine and one beer, our bill was almost $200! So, $35 for a Carnival steakhouse is really not a lot if it is top quality steak. With that said, it’s rare for us to go to a specialty when on a cruise. My hubby really doesn’t like to pay for food after paying the initial cruise cost that includes food. He did surprise me with dinner in one 2 years ago on the NCL Getaway as a surprise as a birthday gift, as it was my birthday that day. And that was very good (Moderno Brazilian Steakhouse).

We have a steakhouse near us in Buffalo, NY called Russels, which is the very best in fine dining, with a dress code to even enter. $35 would not even pay for your steak there! My hubby and I had a $100 gift certificate for dinner there, and after salad, soup, steak, potatoe, shared desert, one glass of wine and one beer, our bill was almost $200! So, $35 for a Carnival steakhouse is really not a lot if it is top quality steak. With that said, it’s rare for us to go to a specialty when on a cruise. My hubby really doesn’t like to pay for food after paying the initial cruise cost that includes food. He did surprise me with dinner in one 2 years ago on the NCL Getaway as a surprise as a birthday gift, as it was my birthday that day. And that was very good (Moderno Brazilian Steakhouse).

Bump: Grandmarnurse, I’m from buffalo as well. I see you like to get away from this weather as I do. Don’t get me wrong I love our four seasons but winter tends to be too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bump: Grandmarnurse, I’m from buffalo as well. I see you like to get away from this weather as I do. Don’t get me wrong I love our four seasons but winter tends to be too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello to another WNYer! Loving last night and today’s weather? We actually looked to move to Florida when I retired 2 years ago to escape our winters, but decided as much as we bitch about them, we are kind of partial to our 4 seasons. So we just vacation a lot. Call us crazy, but we took an Amtrak out of the Depew station all the way to North Dakota in February. From our winter weather to -20 with -38 wind chill weather! Lol! Good thing we just got off a cruise ship a few weeks before that!

Yes, definitely worth it! We go once a cruise, looking at the menus and picking the MDR night that sounds the least desirable to us. I don't know that I would go more than once one a cruise but to each their own. On the Breeze, we ate at the Cucina twice because it was sooo delicious, affordable, and faster than the MDR actually. So I'm sure that varies by ship.

I do not think it's worth it. Disappointed with the quality of the whole experience and I'm not a picky eater. The value was not there for me. Service was spotty and my filet was tough, very strange.

Will not do the steakhouse or Chef's table again. Huge waste of money. There are so many free places to eat all over the ship that tasted better.

The steakhouse is definitely worth it. I have not had a bad meal in any of my 14 Carnival cruises. We did have an overly chatty waitress on our anniversary. She was sweet but we finally had to let her know that we'd like some private time for our anniversary. :)

I've done the Chef's Table one time, on the Dream, and it was underwhelming. I was a line cook and Sous Chef for Radisson Hotels for six years and eating in the kitchen is not a big deal but it was the quality of the food that I was disappointed with. Seabass with soggy skin, over cooked meat, flavorless soup and being totally unable to have a conversation or hear the Chef because of the noise. Most of the people had the same impression I had. I may try it again since most reviews are positive but I am a bit leery.

Take care,

Mike

I hate to pay for food when we are already offered free dining in the MDR. If I was super rich and money was not a problem, I would say go for it. Since I have a family of 5, paying extra for the Steakhouse is not worth it for us.

• 1 year later...

Conquest steakhouse was good (not great).  At least our waitress was friendly (see below).

Magic steakhouse was terrible.  We were a party of four who were squished into a table by the window where people in wet bathing suits were walking by and banging on the window and making faces.  Our table was so close to another table, I could have reached out and touched the lady's head.  There was a large group of 20 people who were staggering when they came into the room and proceeded to order many bottles of wine and became loud and boisterous throughout our dinner.   Our waitress was surly and when I asked for another dinner rolls, she looked at me like I had three heads and let out an audible sigh (we never did get the rolls).  I ordered a shrimp cocktail and asked the waitress if the kitchen staff could prepare my shrimp without the chopped onions they normally put on the shrimp (she nodded yes).  When my shrimp cocktail was served by the assistant waitress, she explained that the shrimp had an avocado oil poured over them,..huh???  I ordered the surf and turf and my filet was so small and tough, I could barely chew it.  It was about a 4 bite piece of meat (my son-in-law ate his in two bites).  The lobster tail was as big as the lobster tails you get in the MDR for FREE and it was dry and chewy.  The cold mashed potatos they tried to jazz up with a dollop of wasabi which killed the taste of the potatos, whatever happened to butter (which, by the way, you won't find on the ship in any of the dining venues)?  Oh, yes, they offer a whipped butter which has no resemblance to real butter or tastes even close to butter (think whipped shortening with a hint of yellow dye and a sprinkle of salt).  For dessert, we ordered the chocolate bomb which they presented with a flourish as they poured a chocolate sauce over the sphere to break the mold so the insides can all ooze out and it was horrible, worst dessert I ever had anywhere.  It needed a dollop of whipped cream or ice cream to cut through that rich chocolate, yuck.

If the avocado oil was left off my shrimp, it would have been a decent appetizer.  If my filet was a little larger and tender enough to cut with a fork, it would have been enjoyable.  If my lobster tail was at least as large as the FREE ones in the MDR, I could have overlooked my tiny filet and terrible mashed potatos.  

So, between the surly waitress, the cold food, the tiny portions, the terrible table layout, no thanks, we're not wasting our money on steakhouse dinners on future Carnival cruises.  I hope everyone has a better experience than we did, I'm just trying to keep it real.