Bus from Ensenada to San Diego

golfnut1

It's an experience! We cruised back from Hawaii to Ensenada in September. The cruiseline assigns buses based on your transportation from San Diego. The bus ride was supposed to take 90 minutes or so. We left the cruise pier about 10:00 and got to San Diego around 12:30. Bus ride was LONG. The roads are not the same as the roads in the US and the bus was old. You'll see some very interesting sights along the way. You go through customs on the US/Mexico border (I think it was Tiajuana). That's a REALLY interesting sight. The cars waiting to cross the border were lined up for a mile or so. The buses are assigned to a "bus" lane. Problem is, there are 15 or 20 buses from the cruise ships that are going through customs. The customs thing is not a big deal. They make everyone get off the bus, walk through the customs office and show their ID. There were 2 buses that our "group" were assigned to. You need to TRY to get on the same bus as our luggage. All of our luggage was one our bus except for 1 piece. We waited for that bus to arrive at the airport for about 30 - 40 minutes which really pressed us for time. My advice is to have a late flight. Ours was 1:30 and we barely made it! As long as you get a later flight, you'll be fine!

• 2 weeks later...

we were off of the ship and onto our assigned bus by by 8 am. we had breakfast at around 6:30 am. RCI has a very slick operation and it was great. the bus ride up the coast went past miles of undeveloped ocean front land. the view was spectacular. we had to wait at least an hour at US customss as there were 50 buses from RCI and 56 buses from the Carnmaval ship that docked when we did. RCI sent reps to the buses to explain what we had to do and when. the reps were also there when we got through customs to make sure that everybody got back on the right bus. it was maybe a 45 minute ride to san diego airport. although a long ride, my husband and I were lucky to get 2 seats, so that we could stretch out a little bit and take a siesta. would i want to do it again? probably not. was it the living h-ll that people talk about? No.

Archived