RCCL discontinuing Pacific Coastals?

I do not see any Pacific Coastal Cruises for 2019 or 2020 from Royal Caribbean cruise line. Are they discontinuing that itinerary? We live near Seattle and like the round trip cruises out of Seattle.

There are no guarantees. The pacific coastal cruises have been on Explorer of the Seas, at least in recent years. Explorer has been redeployed elsewhere and the larger Ovation of the Seas will be assuming Explorer's place for the Alaska itineraries. As far as I have been able to determine, there are no rumors on Cruise Critic regarding 2019-2020 pacific coastal itineraries.

Pacific coastal cruises are generally released with the Asia and Australia release, and should be released during the month of April. This link may help.

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Deployment/2019_2020/2019_2020_Deployment_Opening_Schedule.pdf

We are doing Princess in September, leaves from Vancouver to LA. Ports are Astoria, SF, Santa Barbara and San Diego. We usually are loyal RCCL cruisers but really liked this itinerary. SF is from 7am-11pm nice long port to enjoy the city. We are spending 3 nights in Vancouver before the ship leaves and 3 nights in LA when we get off the ship.

• 4 weeks later...
I do not see any Pacific Coastal Cruises for 2019 or 2020 from Royal Caribbean cruise line. Are they discontinuing that itinerary? We live near Seattle and like the round trip cruises out of Seattle.

I'm on the PC for Sept but it is not as nice itinerary as several years ago when Monterray and Santa Barbara were stops. That one was from Vancouver.

Royal has been using Explorer of the Seas for its Pacific Coastal cruises in recent years. Staterooms have been priced less than Celebrity and Princess. Balcony staterooms for 2018 September Pacific Coastal sailings were about $100/pp/day a few months ago, which is a bargain for any itinerary. Port taxes, however, were very high for the length of cruise. When the Canadian dollar was stronger in relation to the U.S. dollar there were more Canadians on the shoulder season Pacific Coastal cruises. This is a long explanation for why Royal may not find these cruises very profitable.

Another consideration is that Explorer will not be sailing Alaska in 2019 and 2020. Explorer's Seattle to Seattle Alaska sailings will be done by Ovation, a larger ship whose size limits docking in some ports. A review of Ovation's Hawaii and Alaska itineraries shows fewer ports and more "sail by" days than were offered on Explorer or Radiance itineraries.

We enjoy the Pacific Coastal cruises and will miss sailing RT out of Seattle on Royal.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm on the PC for Sept but it is not as nice itinerary as several years ago when Monterray and Santa Barbara were stops. That one was from Vancouver.

I believe that was the Jewel thru the Panama Canal. It was a good itinerary.

RCCL isn't keen on doing the West Coast. I once spoke to the West Coast Rep. and it isn't on their priority list he said. I guess we are dumped again with EX leaving.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:02 PM, ransrider said:

Royal's Pacific coastal cruises always sell out quickly so I find it hard to believe they wouldn't continue offering the itinerary.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

Any Pacific coastal cruises sell out quickly - because very few are offered.

If they sell out so quickly, why don't cruise lines offer more?

Easy answer. They are not very profitable.

• The goofy tree-hugger environmental laws on the West Coast require us to use very expensive fuel.
  • Seas and weather on the West Coast are not very friendly most of the time.
  • West Coast cruisers spend less money onboard than almost any other itineraries.
  • West Coast port charges are higher than just about any other itineraries.
  • Offering more ships on the West coast would drive down fares and wipe out any chance of profitability.

I know this thread is a year old but since people are still replying, so will I. Loyal Royal customers might also consider Celebrity for Pacific Coastal cruises; I just searched and there are at least six cruises, although none leave from Seattle, as OP wanted. Many of them are repositioning cruises with nice itineraries. Just a suggestion. 😊

• 1 month later...

Actually I heard RCI does not do West Coast any more due to high costs incurred by California port fees.  Leave it to California to drive away tourist income and business.....it's how they operate.....and I live here.....but not for much longer.

2 hours ago, Qcruise said:

Actually I heard RCI does not do West Coast any more due to high costs incurred by California port fees.  Leave it to California to drive away tourist income and business.....it's how they operate.....and I live here.....but not for much longer.

Bye.

15 hours ago, Qcruise said:

Yep, fifth largest economy in the world, and contrary to popular myth, growing in population. Sounds like we are just driving them away...

Amazing how people forget what the air used to look like in the LA basin. Far worse than today, before environmental restrictions. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2019 at 6:43 AM, fyree39 said:

I remember the first time we drove to LA in the late '70s.  We arrived in the early evening when it was still light out and settled in at a family member's house for the night.  The next morning the smog had cleared enough for me to see the mountains to the east.  The smog was so bad the day before the mountains weren't visible.

I love the California Coastal cruises, prices be damned. Why do people love to hate on California?  What have we done to you, anyway?

Agreed for sure about the "smog"....I grew up against those mountains by days end we'd all have what we called "smog throat" where our lungs hurt so bad to inhale.  I't s environmental strides aside,  the cost of living is driving us Cali born folks away.