Project Runway?

BlueHerons

Benjamin really got on my nerves this week! He's so self-righteous and thinks he's such a great leader. He really needs to worry about being a good designer and stop butting into everyone's designs. :rolleyes: I know it's a team project, but he became the self-appointed "boss"! Respect is earned and he hasn't gotten there. The other team works so nicely together and no one needs to be the "know-it-all".

Benjamin really got on my nerves this week! He's so self-righteous and thinks he's such a great leader. He really needs to worry about being a good designer and stop butting into everyone's designs. :rolleyes: I know it's a team project, but he became the self-appointed "boss"! Respect is earned and he hasn't gotten there. The other team works so nicely together and no one needs to be the "know-it-all".

I really liked Benjamin when he was first introduced but he came off way too pompous this week.

So far, yawn, I haven't been able to stay awake to see the ending of either show. I do DVR it so I can go back the next day to watch.

No one has yet to come to the forefront as a really great designer. I personally think this whole team thing is a bit of a bore. I know in the real world teams do work on clothing collections, but with more direction and a clearer vision. These teams are just a bunch of people thrown together whether they want to be or not.

Uniforms? Really? The winner clearly deserves it, but Ms. Sarandon never thought of a skort? Perhaps she should have worked a shift to realize what her servers needed...a pocket. That's what the winner did, she paid attention to the problem of the existing uniform and what they needed to make their work easier. Most of the mens stuff was just hideous, especially the kilt...I think Susan Sarandon would have trouble finding employees who would wear such a thing. If I were designing a uniform, I'd at least try to make a garment most people wouldn't be embarrassed to wear.

I'll still watch, but I think it will be several more weeks before the cream really rises to the top.

I think in past seasons it has been a little easier to get a handle on what a designer could do because the first few challenges were usually individual. Especially this past week they were designing fewer garments than people on their team so people had to do a bit of this and a part of that.

I was surprised Susan Sarandon had not even heard of a skort. They have gone in and out of style for ages (and are really good on cruises). Now I would have thought they made up the whole ping pong social club idea for the show if I hadn't seen one on CSI:NY a few weeks ago!

I think in past seasons it has been a little easier to get a handle on what a designer could do because the first few challenges were usually individual. Especially this past week they were designing fewer garments than people on their team so people had to do a bit of this and a part of that.

I was surprised Susan Sarandon had not even heard of a skort. They have gone in and out of style for ages (and are really good on cruises). Now I would have thought they made up the whole ping pong social club idea for the show if I hadn't seen one on CSI:NY a few weeks ago!

I'm not quite as old as Sarandon (66), but we used to call them culottes back in the 70's.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpS328FmfvXdFn7edcwRlUrJgOO4tT-PIq7O_du6YpqDj14KkD2A

They were perfect during the mini skirt era because you didn't have to wear your bathing suit bottom under them to be decent!:rolleyes:

I didn't watch "Road to the Runway" so went to the PR website to see what a few of the designers had done earlier. I was surprised that Benjamin's was a lot of sketches and just a few evening gowns. Made me wonder if he's as experienced as he claims.

He got under my skin this episode, too. Of course, that's exactly what was meant to happen. haha

As I recall (and I have been wrong before), culottes were essentially wide leg long-ish shorts, while a skort looks like a skirt from the front but shorts from behind. I have also seen garments more like tennis/golf skirts, skirts with attached shorts underneath.

In any case, I was glad they gave the female server pockets. I wish pockets were more frequently included in ladies' garments. Note: Just ordered bridesmaids' dresses with pockets!

As I recall (and I have been wrong before), culottes were essentially wide leg long-ish shorts, while a skort looks like a skirt from the front but shorts from behind. I have also seen garments more like tennis/golf skirts, skirts with attached shorts underneath.

In any case, I was glad they gave the female server pockets. I wish pockets were more frequently included in ladies' garments. Note: Just ordered bridesmaids' dresses with pockets!

Yes, you're right! Culottes were split, but had enough pleating that it looked like a skirt if you were just standing still.

Skorts are the fashion version of the mullet! Business from the front, party from the back! :D

Yes, you're right! Culottes were split, but had enough pleating that it looked like a skirt if you were just standing still.

Skorts are the fashion version of the mullet! Business from the front, party from the back! :D

I remember them being called skooters (scooters?), too -- the skort version, that is. But maybe that was a southern thing.

Ginny,

Read your post on the Cunard board and decided that the reversible evening gown would be a perfect challenge on Project Runway!

LOL... what a great cross-forum post! And it would be an interesting challenge, especially having each model walk out twice ;)

I suspect if they had all been judged, that dress with the ruffle fart could have gone. What a mess.

I was disappointed that the little leather squares dress didn't get a win. It was so interesting and fresh. I had to laugh when the judge said it was for a younger actress than Heidi. hahahahaha

I dont think Cindy was the right one to go this week, but she wasn't doomed to go soon, so... whatever.

But Benjamin???? The dude who thought he should run the team to no self confidence? What is with the guy? Wonderful sketch. No execution. Could that be why his portfolio has so many sketches and so few completed outfits? Puzzling.

The way Patricia can manipulate fabric is amazing. I still can't get over how she was able to put all those little squares together in the amount of time they had. Her clothes are rather boxy looking (as they discussed). I don't know if that is the way she likes to design, that is all she has time for, or she isn't really good at fitting. Personally, I like that look but I think if she continues it might put her out.

I would have liked the dress with the ruffle if the ruffle wasn't there. It looked rather nice from the front. How would you ever be able to sit down with that ruffle?

I think Benjamin's dress was the worst tonight but since Cindy has been in the bottom each week I can see why they let her go.

So we are down to 8-5. How much longer until they make some changes?

I was kind of hoping that with two winning categories, one best look would be from each team just so I could see what they would do.

Also, if they were going to take the time to scold two members of the winning team for having poor designs, they could have at least complimented Samantha on the losing team.... I thought her gown was quite good.

I'm beginning to not like this "team" thing at all. Not fair that some designers are riding on the backs of others and some designers are out because they were the worst of their team when the winning team has a couple people that should be judged at the bottom of the heap.

I'm hoping this is the only season they are judging in this way, I think the designers need to stand on their own. A team competition now and then, but the whole season?

I think Benjamin has to go. So far, all he has accomplished is making excuses.

I was kind of hoping that with two winning categories, one best look would be from each team just so I could see what they would do.

Also, if they were going to take the time to scold two members of the winning team for having poor designs, they could have at least complimented Samantha on the losing team.... I thought her gown was quite good.

I really liked Michelle's dress, too. I could totally see Heidi wearing that one. I can't get the "rate the runway" to work right now to give them all a second look. Grr.

I really liked Michelle's dress, too. I could totally see Heidi wearing that one. I can't get the "rate the runway" to work right now to give them all a second look. Grr.

Are you using the "scorecard" link on Lifetime's PR website? They changed the format over the last couple of years and I am finding it to be a bit less user-friendly

Are you using the "scorecard" link on Lifetime's PR website? They changed the format over the last couple of years and I am finding it to be a bit less user-friendly

Rate the Runway? Yep. It's working today -- except for every once in awhile a pink screen comes up with "plug in blocked" on it. sigh

Samantha's dress was cute. I couldn't remember which one it was.

I can't believe the judges liked them all. I thought all but about 2 were horrible. I was disappointed in Daniel (my favorite) with the big poufy things on the hips. Layana and Ben's were my favorites. I didn't like the poufy thing on Samantha's dress, either. Joe's was not to my taste and I think he was a better choice than Amanda to go home. They really turned on Amanda. She sometimes annoys me like Gretchen back in season 8 but I didn't think her dress was bad enough to go home.

What is the big "cliffhanger" ending about?

I was rather horrified by Daniel's dress, too. It looked like two nasty growths! But maybe I shouldn't watch this show right after watching "Face Off." haha

I was a bit sorry to see Joe go. Of course he is all wrong for this show, but he had such a fresh, interesting take on fashion/design. If the judges had known he simply tossed off the idea that helped out Amanda, maybe things would have been different? But he would be gone quite soon anyway.

I agreed with the win -- judging from the PR standpoint, but personally I adored Layana's dress. It was straight out of a fairy tale and that just appeals to me.

Interesting what a big change having Stanley made for the so-called Dream Team.