Project Runway?

BlueHerons

Michael Kors has a label that is being carried in 'nicer' department stores, its price point is like that of Ralph Lauren and Kenneth Cole. These styles are mass produced.

He also has more of a couture line, and that is what the celebrities wear. These clothes are made in very small quantities and are sometimes made to order for a VIP or celeb.

The quality of the dept store Kors is good, its just that he (or a designer under him) have just made some questionable style choices when they started it up last year, and thus what didn't 'sell' from what they made was sold off to TJ Maxx.

Michael Kors has a label that is being carried in 'nicer' department stores, its price point is like that of Ralph Lauren and Kenneth Cole. These styles are mass produced.

He also has more of a couture line, and that is what the celebrities wear. These clothes are made in very small quantities and are sometimes made to order for a VIP or celeb.

The quality of the dept store Kors is good, its just that he (or a designer under him) have just made some questionable style choices when they started it up last year, and thus what didn't 'sell' from what they made was sold off to TJ Maxx.

Ahhhh, Thanks for the info. When I saw the clothes in TJMaxx I thought they probably came from Dept. store buy-out, but isn't all their clothes and shoes, housewares, etc. dept. store buy-out's? Even saw some Coach purses last week. It's hit or miss but I just love that store!

MrsRed - I too love Tim Gunn, I always enjoy the comments and direction he gives to the designers. I'm anxious for next week, and how they design a skating costume. Also, lucky you to have Chloe's boutique near by. If you check it out let us know all about it.

BTW has anyone signed up for the Fashion Face-off?

MrsRed - I too love Tim Gunn, I always enjoy the comments and direction he gives to the designers.

I love project runway, too, but usually only get to see reruns or check their website. Tim Gunn has a weblog on bravotv.com that is wonderful to read. He disects every design in every episode. Highly recommend it, if you haven't checked it out already. :D

So long! I actually think that Emmett would do well in other areas of fashion, but he really doesn't get women's wear. His skate dress was sooooo boring!

My least favorite, however, was Santino's. Again, waaayyy over the top - he didn't even think of Sasha once in that concept. What did one of the judges say... "all expression, no editting". As a designer, he is very true to his concepts, but he just can't adapt to the client, at least in terms of this contest. OMG - I loved Tim Gunn's little talk with him before the runway show - what did he say? "Learn to talk to the judges with less of an 'f*** you' attitude." Something like that - I was cracking up!

I'm surprised to say this, but I also didn't like Daniel's outfit - I hate pointy boobs and the butt flutter just wouldn't work on the ice!

I really liked Nick's outfit and Chloe's - both very modern and functional with a new take on the whole skate outfit. I can see why Zulema won - but it wasn't my favorite.

What did everyone else think?

Wow, I've begun to live for Wednesday nights, 10:00pm.

Loved Chloe's! color and design, very unique.

The color on Nick's didn't stand out very well, but really liked the design.

Zulema's was very nice and well made, I also see why she won.

I was surprised to see Robert deliver the packages in a mailman's uniform! What a hoot! Wonder if he'll show up again???? I thought it was funny last year when he became a "helper" after being eliminated.

Till next week!

Just watched it.

I think Santino is designing just to bate the judges. It is as if he doesn't want to design a good dress...he just wants to see how far he can push the line.

I loved Chloe's dress. It was so modern in color and design.

Nick's just didn't have any oooooomph. Daniel's was *pretty*....not what I expected from him.

So long! I actually think that Emmett would do well in other areas of fashion, but he really doesn't get women's wear. His skate dress was sooooo boring!

I loved Tim Gunn's little talk with him before the runway show - what did he say? "Learn to talk to the judges with less of an 'f*** you' attitude." Something like that - I was cracking up!

I agree. Emmett has some nice ideas...very classic. BUT if he wants to break-out of men's wear he needs to have someone show him how to break out of the box...add some flare. I think he has potential if he stops playing it safe.

Tim Gunn is just my fave. I love his directness! I think he got through to Santino...if only an itty bitty bit.

Zulema's was the obvious choice. I don't think Sasha's personality could have pulled off Chloe's design.

~e

I finally got to watch it and what in the world was Santino thinking?

If he threw that outfit in the ashes, I am sure it would not rise again.

I do think the judges were baiting him to see if he had toned down his comments but if you think about it, aren't they trying to control his creativity(if you can call it that)?

Chloe's outfit was nice and Zulema's was okay but what if they had done Zulema's outfit in the color Chloe choose? Just my opinion but wouldn't someone as petite as Sasha who wears white on ice look like a snowball skating around the rink?

Oh well, have to wait till next week and see who leaves the group...

Julia

I love Tim Gunn!!

And I'd pay to see Santino taken down a few pegs. That boy's his own worst enemy but you know, he's just another Puck. Got to have a few of them in there to keep you talking and typing threads! I think his time's coming. They've tried to wind him in a bit but he never listens. Me thinks he doth protest too much... :)

I'm so glad I found this thread. Discovered Runway this season--it's great! But I liked Nick's (?) skating dress the best--the silver asymmetrical one. And I think Santino is full of it. Like Nick, Chloe, Daniel the best. I'm also addicted to The Apprentice, The Apprentice Martha, and last year's The Cut with Tommy Hilfiger--who I wasn't crazy about!

I love Project Runway. I saw most of last season. I think Jay McCarroll's line wasn't as good as Kara's. I don't like Wendy, but I like some of her clothes. I've been in Wendy's great-grandmother's house, Oatlands down in Va. This season they keep saying how Santino is so talented. I liked some of the clothes that others have been sent off for making. The barbie doll clothes were a challenge. How do they make clothes for a doll whose trying to look like a fashion model and not make it look that way? I did like the skating outfit that Sasha Cohen chose, but it's gonna have to be altered. I can't see her skating in something that revealing up top. Project Runway and What Not to Wear are my favorite cable shows.

Zulema's out...:eek:

In the first 10 minutes of the show you got the feeling they were going to oust her. The walkoff I think contributed to her departure. Just my opinion.

I missed the show where the models were assigned to the designers...how did Rachel end up with Zulema? And Tim's comment only made me wonder how in the world Rachel was part of the selection process if she couldn't walk?

Zulema's out...:eek:

In the first 10 minutes of the show you got the feeling they were going to oust her. The walkoff I think contributed to her departure. Just my opinion.

I missed the show where the models were assigned to the designers...how did Rachel end up with Zulema? And Tim's comment only made me wonder how in the world Rachel was part of the selection process if she couldn't walk?

The winning designer gets his or her pick of all the models. Zeluma's model couldn't walk so she wanted a new model and ended up with Nick's model.

Nina had a good point in that Zeluma could not finish her designs.

I really thought Andrae would go next.

Santino is looking very week at this point as is Kara. Hideous dresses from both.

I really felt sorry for Nick. His design wasn't up to his potential, but he really took losing his model hard. The look on his face when Zulema wanted a walk-off was priceless! Poor guy.

Loved how Tim Gunn described Zulema's former model! He is just too funny.

Knew Daniel would win. His design was so different. He really has range and I like that about him.

Santino...now he's on the opposite side of the spectrum. Was really expecting something different from him, something with a bit more spunk.

Kara's dress was way too safe...and boring. She doesn't do something spectacular next week she may be on her way out.

Zulema was way too cocky. Her outift looled uninspired, and not even finished. I don't think she expected to win one week, then be out the next.

Looking forward to next week!

~e

I really felt sorry for Nick. His design wasn't up to his potential, but he really took losing his model hard. The look on his face when Zulema wanted a walk-off was priceless! Poor guy.

Loved how Tim Gunn described Zulema's former model! He is just too funny.

Knew Daniel would win. His design was so different. He really has range and I like that about him.

Santino...now he's on the opposite side of the spectrum. Was really expecting something different from him, something with a bit more spunk.

Kara's dress was way too safe...and boring. She doesn't do something spectacular next week she may be on her way out.

Zulema was way too cocky. Her outift looled uninspired, and not even finished. I don't think she expected to win one week, then be out the next.

Looking forward to next week!

~e

I thought given the circumstances that Nick's model redeemed herself. Though I nearly fell on the floor laughing over Tim's Gumby description! Priceless!

Daniel is so talented and has this lovely rich understated beauty. Incredible.

I was torn between his outfit and Andrea's. I actually thought Andrea's was a better representation of his inspiration and quite a wonderful transformation from gutter rain to this beautiful gown. But I thought Daniel's had more depth and really looked expensive.

Santino, lord. What on earth was that? That's worse than the Santino effect! A nightmare and a huge faux paus using almost the exact fabric from one of last season's dresses!

Kara, bless her heart. I've yet to figure out what she's even doing there.

Zulema, well, you know. Karma's a great thing. She got what was coming to her. She tries to be cut throat and edgie and the bottom line is she's not a finisher. I think she got designer block because she took Daniel's model. The vibes from everyone had to be just intense over this. Bad form, really, bad form. Yes, they present the design but for heaven sakes if it's crap to begin with even the top model isn't going to sell it.

You didn't mention Chloe. I actually thought her's was quite interesting and would love to have seen the dress if she'd had more time to complete more detail. I bet it would have been stunning.

It sure is fun to watch this stuff!

I thought given the circumstances that Nick's model redeemed herself. Though I nearly fell on the floor laughing over Tim's Gumby description! Priceless!

Daniel is so talented and has this lovely rich understated beauty. Incredible.

I was torn between his outfit and Andrea's. I actually thought Andrea's was a better representation of his inspiration and quite a wonderful transformation from gutter rain to this beautiful gown. But I thought Daniel's had more depth and really looked expensive.

Santino, lord. What on earth was that? That's worse than the Santino effect! A nightmare and a huge faux paus using almost the exact fabric from one of last season's dresses!

Kara, bless her heart. I've yet to figure out what she's even doing there.

Zulema, well, you know. Karma's a great thing. She got what was coming to her. She tries to be cut throat and edgie and the bottom line is she's not a finisher. I think she got designer block because she took Daniel's model. The vibes from everyone had to be just intense over this. Bad form, really, bad form. Yes, they present the design but for heaven sakes if it's crap to begin with even the top model isn't going to sell it.

You didn't mention Chloe. I actually thought her's was quite interesting and would love to have seen the dress if she'd had more time to complete more detail. I bet it would have been stunning.

It sure is fun to watch this stuff!

Great point about Zulema's former model. She may have needed the scare of her walk being scrutinized to get her to show her stuff.

Yes..the Gumby comment was beautiful! Even if I didn't care about fashion, I would watch it for Tim.

Z's dress was just so blah. I love red, but it just hung there. I really hope the model doesn't get cut. That would just be so sad...but since Nick didn't win....

I'm torn on Chloe's dress. I didn't care for the fabric she chose. I liked the idea, but it lost something for me when the design was executed.

Andrea's was good...but I didn't like that light strip across the front and over the shoulder. His idea was fab....loved the details he put in front to mimic the sparkling water. Awesome idea though. I hope he doesn't get cut....I'd like to see what else he can do.

Daniel's looked like something that could be on the runway. The different fabrics really played well together and the colors were great. He has a real depth to him that continues to amaze me. He is the type of designer I would love to work with.

I'm so torn between Daniel and Nick.

Kara...I cannot figure her out. She is almost afraid of her own creativity...or she lacks imagination. Don't know which.

Santino! If he could just get himself under control! One week it is too much, the next it is just blah. I never made the connection about the dress from last season until it was mentioned. Hopefully next week he'll find a nice medium range.

It's getting close...5 more left! I bet the stress is really eating at them now!

~e

Santino! If he could just get himself under control! One week it is too much, the next it is just blah. I never made the connection about the dress from last season until it was mentioned. Hopefully next week he'll find a nice medium range.

It's getting close...5 more left! I bet the stress is really eating at them now!

~e

They are done filming and the final three should be close to finishing up their collections because the Olympus Fashion Week kicks off February 3-10th (next Friday) so the final three only have two weeks at MOST to finish their collections.

I agree about Santino. I thought he had so much talent.

They are done filming and the final three should be close to finishing up their collections because the Olympus Fashion Week kicks off February 3-10th (next Friday) so the final three only have two weeks at MOST to finish their collections.

I think he's too much of a loose cannon to work productively under any type of constraints. He bucks the system and just wants it to all be Santino and they've tried and tried to reel him in... sometimes the difference between the good and the great is how you can diversify and perform in any situation and I don't think he's show that he can do that.

They've given him more chances than anyone and he's all over the page with it.

I just don't think he's there yet.

Completely forgot that Olympus starts next week!

I think he's too much of a loose cannon to work productively under any type of constraints. He bucks the system and just wants it to all be Santino and they've tried and tried to reel him in... sometimes the difference between the good and the great is how you can diversify and perform in any situation and I don't think he's show that he can do that.

They've given him more chances than anyone and he's all over the page with it.

I just don't think he's there yet.

If he did work with someone, it would have to be someone who can direct him and mentor him without upsetting his delicate ego. But I'm not sure he's mature enough to let the spotlight shine on anyone else.

I had such high hopes for Santino...

~e

Completely forgot that Olympus starts next week!

I had such high hopes for Santino...~e

I was curious to see how he would progress and I am not really surprised. I've been around that type before - big fish in little pond syndrom and now struggling in the big pond. :)

Olympics - I am excited! The wife of one of our waiters from our last cruise is on the Romanian Biathlon team! We're all watching for her!

Perhaps Santino will surprise us all in the next episode? I didn't think his dress was really all that bad but have to say I really like what Andre (sp?)did better than Daniels but hey, they were both creative as was Chloe.

Nick is too tempermental. What would happen if a model became ill and he had to use another one? Would he sulk and want to give up on his collection?

Sorry for the lack of knowledge but what is a "gumby"?

Perhaps Santino will surprise us all in the next episode? I didn't think his dress was really all that bad but have to say I really like what Andre (sp?)did better than Daniels but hey, they were both creative as was Chloe.

Nick is too tempermental. What would happen if a model became ill and he had to use another one? Would he sulk and want to give up on his collection?

Sorry for the lack of knowledge but what is a "gumby"?

I am dating myself! Gumby (and Pokey) were rubber children's figures and an animated childrens program from years ago.

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=31448&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=417&iSubCat=432&iProductID=31448&searchid=inceptor

Gumby is the green guy! Not sure why Tim choose that phrase to describe the model, Gumby was quite a popular guy when I was a kid !! :)

Poor Andrae...I thought he would last at least one more round.

The show was one of the best so far and I thought that Daniel, Chloe and Kara really did a wonderful job. I think the judges had a hard time but you can see that Michael is already a fan of Daniels.

Santino is still hanging in there and the dress he did was not bad just different. I love his imitation of Tim.

Nick- well......what can I say. Bad fit? I was wondering when his model came down the runway whether she was doing to be able to stay in that top he made.:eek: