Montego Bay Tendering Problems?

chopper825

With all the talk about the tendering problems I have not heard anyone mention Montego Bay. Has anyone experienced any problems there? Leaving on the Star on the 8th and already have a knot in my stomach over the tendering issues in Grand Cayman. Not too concerned about Cozumel because we are only going to Paradise Beach, but Grand Cayman we have a private tour booked and need to get off ASAP. I love these boards because I know now that I need to get in line an hour ahead of time, which already annoys me, because I am not even on board yet and it's just putting a damper on my excitement. Truthfully, I have never had to tender before and didn't know I needed to tender on this cruise when I booked it or that it would be such a big problem. Does it seem to anyone that it really just became a BIG problem because of the hurricanes. I have been on the boards since I booked this cruise 7 months ago and just about a month ago I started seeing frequent posts about how major of a problem it has become. Well, I guess we have to grin and bear it and roll with the punches. I won't let it ruin my trip but it sure sounds like it will put a damper on it. I am praying Montego Bay isn't a problem also. Thanks.

It is listed on our documents as a tendering port; however, Cozumel is not so who knows how accurate those things are. I hope we do dock there, than I will only have one day of tendering where it might be a problem. I can deal with that. Thanks.

We tendered this past spring in MoBay - I guess it depends on how many ships in port - Anyway - MoBay is hardly worth getting off the ship for - better to stay on the ship and enjoy the pool while everyone else is ashore.

Ron

We tendered in MoBay last June. I have to agree with Ron, the port is not worth getting off the ship for.

Tendering was tuff the first couple of hours afterwards it was only about a 15 minute wait.

We enjoyed Montego Bay. We had a group of five and hired our own car at the dock, plenty of drivers there, so negotiate.

Our driver took us to Half Moon Resort......... :), and it is well worth a visit. The Queen stays there when she visits.

Here is a link:

http://www.halfmoon.com/

I may never get to Jamaica again so I do want to see it. The tour we have arranged is a private tour with 6 people from our roll call to go on a Black River cruise, lunch, and YS Falls, then to Margaritaville. We should be able to avoid all the usual problems associated with Jamaica. But we need to start ASAP to get it all in and I am concerned about whether or not we will need to tender.

chopper825: I agree with you. Our port of call got changed from OR to MB on our cruise on the Star this month. We really wanted to see Dunn's River Falls so we have booked an independent tour. I really hope we dock - not tender (I still have no cruise documents yet to see if it says). I guess we will make the best of it and surely the tour will wait if we have trouble with the tenders. But since we have to go so far on our tour I hope it doesn't take too long to tender (if we must)! Good luck to you chopper 825!

chopper825: I agree with you. Our port of call got changed from OR to MB on our cruise on the Star this month. We really wanted to see Dunn's River Falls so we have booked an independent tour. I really hope we dock - not tender (I still have no cruise documents yet to see if it says). I guess we will make the best of it and surely the tour will wait if we have trouble with the tenders. But since we have to go so far on our tour I hope it doesn't take too long to tender (if we must)! Good luck to you chopper 825!

Make sure your independent tour to Dunn's river leaves early enough to get you back and the roads in Jamaica have a lot of pot holes and can have a lot of trafffic due to that. Our 15 minute drive from the airport to the Ritz Carlton on Nov 4 turned into over an hour drive because of all the pot holes.

Archived