Key West - Any beaches within walking distance from port?

We are docking in Key West and want to go to Duval Street to enjoy a cocktail but would ideally love to spend some time on the beach. Are there any decent beaches we can walk to from the ship?

We are docking in Key West and want to go to Duval Street to enjoy a cocktail but would ideally love to spend some time on the beach. Are there any decent beaches we can walk to from the ship?

nope, beaches in Key West are pretty worthless and there is nothing within walking distance.

Fort Zachary Taylor would be the closest 'beach' (I use the term loosely) but Lagerheads Beach Bar next to the Hyatt Centric would probably be the easiest thing for you to get to. There are tables and chairs there set up in the sand. It is on the ocean and lots of people float in the ocean and drink their cocktails.

Keep in mind, Key West doesn't have good beaches. At all.

Key West is NOT a "beach" destination at all. The available beaches are poor. KW is all about partying, eating and drinking...and the fantastic climate! If you want a tan, stay on the ship and use the nearly empty pool area!

Fort Zachary Taylor would be the closest 'beach' (I use the term loosely) but Lagerheads Beach Bar next to the Hyatt Centric would probably be the easiest thing for you to get to. There are tables and chairs there set up in the sand. It is on the ocean and lots of people float in the ocean and drink their cocktails.

Keep in mind, Key West doesn't have good beaches. At all.

Yep! Fort Zacahry would be the closest, but it's a pretty rocky beach. I wouldn't really try to spend too much time trying to find a beach in KW. I'd go to the butterfly conservatory (they have beautiful birds there too!), we loved the Hemingway house, hit some of the bars, walk Duval St., etc...

no beaches worth spending any time on whatsoever. get a ticket for one of the trolley tours and spend your day that way. stop by Hemingway house and pet a 6 toed cat. stop by the butterfly house and be mesmerized. forget standing in the too stupidly long line for a 30 second chance at a picture on the buoy. if you are lucky, Mile Marker 0 will not have been stolen recently

Because of the off shore reefs that block waves depositing sand on the shore, sandy beaches are scarce in the Keys.

The closest public beach to Key West is at Bahia Honda (about one hour north of Key West). Unless you rent a car, I don't know how you would get there.

Key west (displaced) native. K.W. has two fairly large beaches on the east side, Smathers and Highs beach. The sand is not the sugar sand you'd find on the gulf coast beaches, it is somewhat coarser. The whole island is two miles wide by four long, with most of the tourist area being in the "old town" district. An electric car rental would be my best bet to get out of the tourist area and explore the North end of the island and some of the "off the beaten path" areas.

Because of the off shore reefs that block waves depositing sand on the shore, sandy beaches are scarce in the Keys.

The closest public beach to Key West is at Bahia Honda (about one hour north of Key West). Unless you rent a car, I don't know how you would get there.

Bahia Honda is about 30 or so miles up tbe road.

Smathers beach would be the largest and best beach in KW. There are a couple of smaller ones closer, but I wouldn't bother. It is on the south side by the airport and uber would be best to get there. Alot of the Caribbean beaches would be better imo if you are going to any of the islands. We used to live there so I would think walking around and seeing some of the sites would be better than the beach.