Hotels in Sydney

We have stayed at Meriton Suites in Campbell Street, It is a typical hotel apartment. Our stay was comfortable and very convenient to public transport and to China Town for restaurants. I would recommend it.

Leigh

• 5 weeks later...

We need two nights pre-cruise in Jan 2020 and return to Sydney for another five nights after another cruise out of Melbourne.  

We seldom take taxis unless it's really necessary, haven't had the best experiences. Won't be using UBER either.

For the first two nights, we booked the Russell Hotel in The Rocks. The airport train will bring us to Circular Quay train station in 20 minutes, then it's minutes on foot to the hotel and the cruise terminal. The location is great and the hotel includes breakfast... we know, no A/C.  :0  For the moment, we also reserved the additional five nights at the Russell. However, I'm now considering the Park Royal in Darling Harbour though more expensive.  Now that we've booked our flights through Qantas, we can get a decent price through the airline. I see the Park Royal is 1.5km further from the OPT. How would the hotel's location be for getting around, to/from Airport and OPT?

Edited by Adventures ahead

We have stayed at Marriott Pier One (rocks),  Radisson (cbd),  Regents Court (apt hotel), and last month at Four Points Sheraton at Central Station.

Our favourite was Pier One.  We stayed on Points.   Radisson was fine but it was very dark-because of the buildings beside us.  Regents court was older but the room was large, had a kitchen, and there was a self serve laundry in the building.   We did five nights at Four Points Sheraton last month.   Hotel was very good.  It was an ideal location for transportation.   Great restaurants in the area-lots of Thai and Vietnamese.  Walking distance to Darling Harbour, etc.

We liked them all for various reasons.  The only one we would pass on would be the Radisson and only because is seemed squeezed between other high rise buildings and this made the room seem dark.

Edited by iancal

8 hours ago, iancal said:

We used points for Pier One and for Four Points Sheraton.  Hotwire for Radisson and Regents Court.  Late Rooms for Sydney AIrport Rydges.

Yeah Pier 1 is normally nearly $1000 a night.

It is a beautiful hotel in a great spot.  More like a boutique hotel.  But we would never pay $1000.   I seem to recall that the rate, two years ago, would have been about $275AUD or so per night had we not used points     We tried to reserve on points last month but we simply did not have enough for a five night stay.   We preferred the Four Points Sheraton at Central  for a longer stay.  

Edited by iancal

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2019 at 11:58 AM, buchhalm said:

Christ! There are dozens of such questions and hundreds of answers in this board. 

Could you guys not just do a bit if simple search before asking the same thing over and over and over again?

How rude !!!

• Like 3

Think all hotels in the Rocks/ Circular Quay area are pretty expensive.

We stayed in the Holiday Inn on the Rocks AKA Holiday Inn Old Sydney.  We arrived at about 10 am. Were not able to check in early as hotel is extremely busy..a different cruise ship every day (March), However they stored our bags and gave us access to both restrooms and pool area and phoned our British mobile to say when room was ready. Very helpful staff.

Hotel is quite old but clean and comfortable. Breakfast was included in our booking..it was excellent with choices for every taste. (Book the evening before for lower price)

Close enough to walk to Bridge, Opera House, Ferries to Manly (Beach) Trains to Blue Mountains, buses to Bondi Beach etc.

Best thing...can walk luggage to Overseas Passenger Terminal in five minutes. Dropped off big bags at 9am, then went back for leisurely breakfast before taking ourselves and rollaboards to check in.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Good expensive hotels around Circular Quay is easy.🤑

Good inexpensive hotels around Circular Quay is hard (if not impossible).

I’m thinking of leaving it till next year and hoping for a bargain close by , failing that there are plenty affordable a short cab ride away

Cheers Carole

On 5/4/2019 at 2:51 PM, Elorac123 said:

I’m thinking of leaving it till next year and hoping for a bargain close by , failing that there are plenty affordable a short cab ride away

Cheers Carole

We have stayed at the IBIS in Pitt St price was pretty good I think it was about $15 in a cab to the OPT, nothing fancy but a good price for the city

17 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

We have stayed at the IBIS in Pitt St price was pretty good I think it was about $15 in a cab to the OPT, nothing fancy but a good price for the city

Thanks Gut, we have always found Ibis satisfactory in different cities,

All the booking sites and the hotels themselves are showing ridiculous prices at the moment as its to far out yet I think.

Cheers Carole

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2019 at 1:22 AM, GUT2407 said:

Stayed there a few weeks ago and was completely happy with it. We usually would walk down Pitt St. to CQ, but on our last day we went to the Museum station and took the train!!!

7 hours ago, zdcatc12 said:

Stayed there a few weeks ago and was completely happy with it. We usually would walk down Pitt St. to CQ, but on our last day we went to the Museum station and took the train!!!

Yep that works fine, really depends how much luggage you’ve got, and it’s basic, but probably the best low price option in Sydney.

Has anyone stayed at the Amora Hotel Jamison on Jamison St in the CBD?  Close to the Rocks and a bit less price wise then the Four Seasons.

Anything I should know about and experience with this hotel?

1 hour ago, 2Scots said:

Has anyone stayed at the Amora Hotel Jamison on Jamison St in the CBD?  Close to the Rocks and a bit less price wise then the Four Seasons.

Anything I should know about and experience with this hotel?

Never stayed there myself, but only heard good things.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2019 at 3:18 AM, Expat Cruise said:

When in Sydney we like to stay Circular Quay/The Rocks, and have found the Four Seasons to be about the best option. Very close to Circular Quay docks, (150 meters) nice hotel and reasonable for the area.

We have stayed there twice and enjoyed it very much, but expensive.  We usually ate elsewhere, like Darling Harbour mall.   LOL  

We are booked in the Hyatt Regency this fall near Darling Harbour.

Edited by boards