Kids on cruises - late September

lucky978

We're considering planning a cruise for late September to celebrate our 10th anniversary. We want to take our 8 year old daughters with us. Obviously they would miss a week of school, but I wonder if there will be other kids onboard since it's the beginning of the school year. I would like some other kids onboard so they could hang in the kids clubs.

Any thoughts? :confused:

Depends on which cruiseline and the length of cruise you are looking at. If it's Royal Caribbean or Carnival, there will always be kids on board, no matter the time of the year. If it's a longer cruise say on HAL or Celebrity, it is less likely there will be a lot of kids on board.

We cruised mid-September two years ago with our then seven and nine year old children on the NCL Majesty to Bermuda two weeks after a devastating hurricane to the island. Yes, the kids missed school and the island was in rough shape, but we had the time of our lives! The ship was small (we've been on bigger ships since) and the kids club was small, but the kids had a great time. I noticed there were not as many kids on the cruise as I have heard there are during vacation weeks. We are going on the Caribbean Princess 2/17 (school vaca week) so I will better be able to comment after that cruise. The advantage I see to cruising during non-school vacation times is that your children will receive more attention from the kids club staff. My children made very wonderful friendships with the kids club staff due to low ratio and the staff seemed very relaxed and not stressed due to being overwhelmed by a huge number of children to entertain. We would definitely do another cruise during non-vaca weeks however because our daughter is now in seventh grade, we feel it is best for her not to miss any school because at this grade, even one day missed is hard for them to keep on track. One thing we did do before we left for the cruise is ask their teachers to prepare their classwork/homework for the week they would miss so we could take it with us for them to do on the cruise so they wouldn't be behind. Believe me, it wasn't that painful doing a bit of classwork with them each day on the cruise when they knew they were done they could go to the kids club! Your children will have a blast and be sure to enjoy yourself as well when they are in the club!:)

Since that's the beginning weeks of school, you rarely find kids on board. It's just too tough for kids to catch up when they miss the first few weeks of school. I know this because I'm a former teacher. It's also prime hurricane season, so be aware of that.

Hi again Lucky. Well, if worse comes to worst, your two daughters will have each other to hang with at the kids place.:D

I agree that the first few weeks of school are likely not a great time for a lot of kids to be on board, but there will be some, for sure. I've never cruised without kiddies around.

I happen to choose the first week of September to cruise, because there won't be many kids. I think most parents realize how important those first few weeks of the new school year are, and the kids would miss so much. But, that's your call.;)

Sailed once on the 3rd week of September. there was 35 kids onboard under the age of 18.

Last week of August had a tab bit more kids-- but not many. I have not sailed any cruise with 100 or more kids onboard.

camps wills till be opened. and the kids get more attention from the counselors since they dont have many kids there

We're considering planning a cruise for late September to celebrate our 10th anniversary. We want to take our 8 year old daughters with us. Obviously they would miss a week of school, but I wonder if there will be other kids onboard since it's the beginning of the school year. I would like some other kids onboard so they could hang in the kids clubs.

Any thoughts? :confused:

We did the 9/25/05 miracle sailing. There was 68 kids onboard and it was great..... they all got to know the Camp carnival staff real well, and had an amazing time. My kids were in the under 5 agegroup, but we watched the older kids activities as well (like the pool party, etc) and there was about 15 or so at each activitity that we saw.

Archived