Are you and inadvertant pet peeve?

phoenix_dream

I write this post not to complain per se, but to perhaps help people who are causing issues for others but don't realize it.

My pet peeve with other passengers is those who let their cabin doors slam. The doors are heavy and on too many occasions I have had the displeasure of being next to (or across the hallway) from passengers who exit (or enter) and let the door slam behind them. On a recent cruise, this was particularly annoying as we are early to bed/early to rise and our next door neighbors regularly came back to their cabins around 2:00 in the morning letting their door slam each time. Ugh! Woke me up many a time. The mean part of me wanted to do the same when I left my cabin at 8:00 am the next morning but I resisted, preferring to think they were doing it without realizing the noise it was causing.

I am writing this hoping some who read this have been doing it and just didn't realize it was causing their neighbors a problem.

Anyone else have any similar issues to address? Please don't even bother mentioning chair hogs. From what I have seen on these boards and experienced onboard they are well aware of inconveniencing others and just don't care. This thread is meant for people who are well-meaning but......

I have to wonder how many of those slammers are in balcony rooms who are leaving the balcony doors open - which they aren't supposed to do - and creating the suction that causes the doors to slam.

Double pet peeve there.

Good point.

And it's a good thing my pet peeve isn't grammar, as I had a typo in my title - oops!:)

I hate it when people get off the elevator, stand there, look me in the eye and say “where’s the bingo” (or whatever). I now either ignore them or say do you see a Celebrity name tag on me. I feel they just can’t be bothered to research the location of the events they are looking for.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have to wonder how many of those slammers are in balcony rooms who are leaving the balcony doors open - which they aren't supposed to do - and creating the suction that causes the doors to slam.

Double pet peeve there.

Keeping balc door open also can create a terrible whistling sound into other cabins...only cure is put a towel inside your own door to try and stop the noise,

I write this post not to complain per se, but to perhaps help people who are causing issues for others but don't realize it.

My pet peeve with other passengers is those who let their cabin doors slam. The doors are heavy and on too many occasions I have had the displeasure of being next to (or across the hallway) from passengers who exit (or enter) and let the door slam behind them. On a recent cruise, this was particularly annoying as we are early to bed/early to rise and our next door neighbors regularly came back to their cabins around 2:00 in the morning letting their door slam each time. Ugh! Woke me up many a time. The mean part of me wanted to do the same when I left my cabin at 8:00 am the next morning but I resisted, preferring to think they were doing it without realizing the noise it was causing.

I am writing this hoping some who read this have been doing it and just didn't realize it was causing their neighbors a problem.

Tell me about it! A thread started by yours truly in late 2016 and it seemed I wasn't alone then:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2415616&highlight=Doorschlammer

To mitigate some of the problem I now actively seek out and book S-Class ship cabins with doors that do not abut the cabin next to it or have by way of position stand on their own.

Phil

Keeping balc door open also can create a terrible whistling sound into other cabins...only cure is put a towel inside your own door to try and stop the noise,

Yep. PLUS it can affect the a/c in all the cabins in that block - even the OV and Interior cabins who have no option for fresh air.

A couple of summers ago I was on RCCL's Brilliance of the Seas in the Med. The first morning, I was chatting with my room steward in the hall when a housekeeping supervisor came to check on a cabin that had reported the a/c not working well. He stopped at a door where there was obviously whistling and said "Pretty sure I know what the 'air conditioning problem' is..." but even before he could knock on the door, we heard someone from inside the cabin saying "Help! I can't open my door!!" He said "Try closing the balcony door and see if that works."

It worked.

And he proceeded to explain to them that there was a reason the balcony door is supposed to be closed.

Good point.

And it's a good thing my pet peeve isn't grammar, as I had a typo in my title - oops!:)

PhoenixDream -- Your thread title DID make me chuckle (typo and all). It reminded me of that classic old saying: A lady never offends anyone -- unintentionally! ;)

My pet peeve occurs quite often while waiting my turn at the OVC for an omelette or stir fry or at a bar for a drink. In those situations, I find I inexplicably become invisible to my fellow cruisers, who suddenly go ahead of me.:rolleyes:

I hate it when people get off the elevator, stand there, look me in the eye and say “where’s the bingo” (or whatever). I now either ignore them or say do you see a Celebrity name tag on me. I feel they just can’t be bothered to research the location of the events they are looking for.

Sounds similar to what we refer to as "deer in the headlights" syndrome..They stop short in their tracks, blocking everyone while trying to figure out where they are and where they want to go, oblivious to all around them!

Sounds similar to what we refer to as "deer in the headlights" syndrome..They stop short in their tracks, blocking everyone while trying to figure out where they are and where they want to go, oblivious to all around them!

#truth. [emoji51]

Pet peeve. 1: I am at the back of the elevator when I get to my floor. I say excuse me please, but people won’t move over so I can get out. Pet peeve 2: I arrive at my floor and people are rushing into the elevator instead of waiting until I get out of it. These 2 peeves are no big deal but when it happens so often it can be very frustrating. Whatever happened to plain old common courtesy?

Anyone else have any similar issues to address? Please don't even bother mentioning chair hogs. From what I have seen on these boards and experienced onboard they are well aware of inconveniencing others and just don't care. This thread is meant for people who are well-meaning but......

My pet peeve is people who cough into the air.

We had a “late night door slammer” as our next door neighbor once. Tolerated it about 3 days. I started slamming back at 6:30 a.m.

They noticed, it stopped, a truce ensued for the remainder of the cruise.

As for elevators, I’ve been on both sides of the door.

When waiting and it opens you want to run in.

When on it, and it opens, you wonder WHY won’t they let me get off, so they can get on?

My dw has a saying that, on vacation people forget to pack their manners.

My pet peeve is people who cough into the air.

Once I had finished getting my breakfast in the buffet and had set my plate down while I got my coffee. Someone came by and coughed right onto my plate. I just walked away, leaving my plate behind. I could not think of anything else to do. Besides, I needed to get a new breakfast plate.

Smoking on the balcony. Oh and this only happened once, so I’m not sure it qualifies for peeve status. We were at the buffet and I had gotten my food but hubby was lagging behind. I sat down at a 2 top but it was pushed next to another 2 top. Plenty of other tables though. Pretty soon, this man comes and sits down diagonally across from me. Didn’t ask if I minded. Just sat down and started eating. Didn’t even acknowledge my presence. My hubby shows up and I get up and we move to another open table. I’m not sure what that was about, but it was truly annoying.

I’m peeved about all these peeves!!! My biggest peeve is peevish people pushing particuar pet peeves that don’t bother me because they are just things I do such as rushing onto elevators so I don’t miss it even if I have to body cross some geezer on a walker, and slamming my SR door so I know it’s properly closed!

If you don’t like that and you get ‘peeved’, get a life! we are all on vacation and I should do whatever I want to do. I mean, back home I have to follow all those stupid rules because I may offend someone I’ll see again, but on a cruise, who cares? I’ll never see any of these peevish prickly people possibly in perpetuity.

My person pet peeve is, I once asked the guy leaning on his balcony rail next to mine if he had a light - my cigar had gone out - he just ignored me until I yelled at him and asked him if he was a complete idiot....he then, and I can’t believe this, he then called security on me. Wow, what a peevish person!

Den

I hate it when there are 4 people walking across together and you cant get past them. Yeah I know, this should be the worst thing that ever happens to us.

That's when you play that childhood game .... a little differently ...

Red Rover Red Rover I'm busting through .... :D