Are you and inadvertant pet peeve?

phoenix_dream

I hate it when there are 4 people walking across together and you cant get past them. Yeah I know, this should be the worst thing that ever happens to us.

Or even two people who are walking slowly but are spaced just far apart so that one cannot pass left or right or up the middle. They must be the same people driving in the passing lane at 55 mph. on the interstates My wife once got whacked by a cane while having the audacity to pass one in the hallway (and no it was not accidental...)

I write this post not to complain per se, but to perhaps help people who are causing issues for others but don't realize it.

My pet peeve with other passengers is those who let their cabin doors slam. The doors are heavy and on too many occasions I have had the displeasure of being next to (or across the hallway) from passengers who exit (or enter) and let the door slam behind them. On a recent cruise, this was particularly annoying as we are early to bed/early to rise and our next door neighbors regularly came back to their cabins around 2:00 in the morning letting their door slam each time. Ugh! Woke me up many a time. The mean part of me wanted to do the same when I left my cabin at 8:00 am the next morning but I resisted, preferring to think they were doing it without realizing the noise it was causing.

I am writing this hoping some who read this have been doing it and just didn't realize it was causing their neighbors a problem.

Anyone else have any similar issues to address? Please don't even bother mentioning chair hogs. From what I have seen on these boards and experienced onboard they are well aware of inconveniencing others and just don't care. This thread is meant for people who are well-meaning but......

"Hell is other people"--JPSartre

We've become door slammers... Just thought I'd mention it here so people can realize that sometimes you do things that can be a bit annoying to others without meaning to. My husband has significant right side paralysis from a stroke, and we just went on our first cruise since the event last month. When he enters and leaves the room, he can't swing around and catch the door before it slams behind him, and sometimes I'm not there with him, or not quick enough to catch it. At least on Princess, the doorways aren't very wide, and two people can't be in there at once. I'm sure most people who slam are just not thinking, but sometimes there's a story behind an annoying "habit." We've got enough trouble in our lives; I would hope no one would retaliate simply because they heard our door slam.

My pet hate is not a hate its a "I don't understand" observation

I am on deck 14 of 15 decks and want to go down so I get in any lift going either up or down as you can either over-ride the lift or it really doesn't matter going one deck up before you go down again.

The number of times on our last cruise that the queue of people from the buffet would not get in the lift with me because it was going up? I just don't get it ? :confused:

We've become door slammers... Just thought I'd mention it here so people can realize that sometimes you do things that can be a bit annoying to others without meaning to. My husband has significant right side paralysis from a stroke, and we just went on our first cruise since the event last month. When he enters and leaves the room, he can't swing around and catch the door before it slams behind him, and sometimes I'm not there with him, or not quick enough to catch it. At least on Princess, the doorways aren't very wide, and two people can't be in there at once. I'm sure most people who slam are just not thinking, but sometimes there's a story behind an annoying "habit." We've got enough trouble in our lives; I would hope no one would retaliate simply because they heard our door slam.

I would hope so too. Obviously we are not referring to situations like this.:)

I am not sure that all these examples meet the intent of what Phoenix_Dream wanted. “Well meaning that people might not realize”

Very little bothers me (beside the one item that the OP has explicitly asked us not to mention), but here is my other one.

Dirty dishes and left over food that is left in the hallway in such a way that two people walking down the hallway from different directions need to divert. Personally I think it is a potential safety hazard, very inconsiderate, and often gross. I am not convinced that the offenders even realize it. Just call and have someone come into your cabin and pick it up or leave it for your cabin steward.

I write this post not to complain per se, but to perhaps help people who are causing issues for others but don't realize it. ..... Anyone else have any similar issues to address?

Could be, but that's part of my charm. ;)

Two things. First, we were door slammers on our last cruise and I apologize profusely. It was the only way the door would close. We'd try to push it gently but it wouldn't close and when you pulled it back far enough to make it close, it slammed. I tried everything - sorry, sorry, sorry. I would have been annoyed by me too.

Secondly, I hate it when people come into the theater late, fumble to get in place and then proceed to talk back and forth for several minutes. Dirty looks don't seem to help in a dark theater.

more on hateful people:

I saw Someone who cuts a piece of the baguette with his own hands.

Another a disgusting passenger who at the MDR blew his nose with his napkin.

Both cases were reported and appropriate measures were taken to protect the hygiene of other passengers

Dirty dishes and left over food that is left in the hallway in such a way that two people walking down the hallway from different directions need to divert. Personally I think it is a potential safety hazard, very inconsiderate, and often gross. I am not convinced that the offenders even realize it. Just call and have someone come into your cabin and pick it up or leave it for your cabin steward.

Just this past Christmas, our friends kept walking out of their cabin to find a canapés plate outside their door. Apart from it being very annoying, it was also a safety hazard. They discovered it was the couple in the next cabin that obviously didn’t like the Concierge afternoon offerings and each day decided to leave it outside our friends’ door. Who knows why :confused:?

Or even two people who are walking slowly but are spaced just far apart so that one cannot pass left or right or up the middle. They must be the same people driving in the passing lane at 55 mph. on the interstates My wife once got whacked by a cane while having the audacity to pass one in the hallway (and no it was not accidental...)

Oh that wouldn’t have ended pretty if it was me who got whacked. I probably would’ve threaten to shove that cane where the sun don’t shine if they ever thought of doing that again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You cannot make this stuff up: someone practicing their trumpet! When asked nicely to cease and desist, the answer was they had called Celebrity and was told that would be fine (!) and that we had no musical appreciation! The good news is the person did quit. And isn't there a practice area for the orchestra??

I have to wonder how many of those slammers are in balcony rooms who are leaving the balcony doors open - which they aren't supposed to do - and creating the suction that causes the doors to slam.

Double pet peeve there.

I can attest that an open balcony is not necessary for a good slam as I have a family member who much to my dismay is a chronic slammer. As many times as I have reminded my loved one, it only lasts for so long. My apologies ahead of time to the cruising community.

My pet peeve are the people who are so heavy handed with their perfume/cologne/aftershave. Honestly, if people can smell you from 5 feet away, youre wearing too much. If people run out en mass from the elevator after you get on, you're wearing too much. If the people at the next table in the MDR can't tell what their food smells or tastes like because of the fumes wafting around them, you're wearing too much. Lighten up already!

Well said! And, dear perfume wearer, if I have a sneezing fit lasting five minutes after you’ve passed, don’t glare at me as if I’m Typhoid Mary dispensing germs. Not so. My daily allergy drugs simply cannot combat the histamine response caused by your lavish application of scent.

I have experienced all of the above ... and agree on all of them as being pet peeves, especially the perfume overload. That is the worst ... well, actually maybe second to someone coughing at the dinner table all over my food. I've actually just gotten up, headed back to the hostess and asked to be re-seated alone or with someone that isn't sick. I know they have to eat, too, but I would never go to a restaurant and allowed them to seat me with any unsuspecting passengers.

The only other one I can add is when people stop at the top or bottom of the stairs and congregate there and hold a conversation with their friends ... step aside or keep it moving people!!

My pet peeve is the hand wavers. You know who you are. If you don't like that area don't go through it.

I agree. I find them annoying, and I don’t smoke. There you are, relaxing in one of the limited areas available to you, when they pass you. They glare. They mutter imprecations.They stare. Then they begin coughing and flapping their hands:rolleyes:

I agree. I find them annoying, and I don’t smoke. There you are, relaxing in one of the limited areas available to you, when they pass you. They glare. They mutter imprecations.They stare. Then they begin coughing and flapping their hands:rolleyes:

I have no problem with the smoking section at the pool deck being on the Port side -- I just walk down the Starboard side, and it's not an issue. In the case of the Sunset Bar on the S-Class ships, especially during inclement weather when the smokers are under the overhang on the Port side in the smoking section, you have to wade thru all the cigar smoke to get to the men's room. A wave here and there is certainly in order. :rolleyes:

Welcome back, Denny, and thanks for the laugh....the tears are running down my cheeks. You and I reached 1,000 posts the same day and I always enjoyed your posts. Then you seemed to disappear. Glad you're back........

Thank you TeaBag. I took off for a while because I was starting to react too strenuously and overreacting to posts that I thought were overwrought with complaints. So I decided it was time to back off and relax. We somethings need to remind ourselves we are talking about cruising the world, and being so lucky to have the money and time so many others dont have to go cruising.

I’ve used the Roll Calls and some of the info on ports and so on, but hadn’t posted on these general threads for a while. But, yup, I’m back and hope to share and have fun, and learn, and share.

Den

Thank you TeaBag. I took off for a while because I was starting to react too strenuously and overreacting to posts that I thought were overwrought with complaints. So I decided it was time to back off and relax. We somethings need to remind ourselves we are talking about cruising the world, and being so lucky to have the money and time so many others dont have to go cruising.

I’ve used the Roll Calls and some of the info on ports and so on, but hadn’t posted on these general threads for a while. But, yup, I’m back and hope to share and have fun, and learn, and share.

Den

Denny, I was also glad to see you return. When I first came over to the X boards, from RC -- back in 2010 -- you made me feel very welcome here. You were a great source of information and encouragement. And, if memory serves, you're part of the Navy family (our son is active duty, USN). You are SO right: Regardless of how we feel about X (or any particular cruise line), we are truly fortunate to be able to travel and see the world, in such a special way! Thanks for reminding us of that. :halo:

OK -- so, now I've inadvertently become that worst of all pet peeves -- that poster who drags a thread off-topic!:o;)

Remember, folks, the original intent of this thread was not to start another long list of complaints. There are already many threads about that.

The idea is sometimes people can be a bit oblivious and do things that are annoying or disturbing to other people without realizing it. Personally I was hoping to enlighten at least one person (preferably the person in the cabin next to me:)) that when you leave/enter your cabin and let your door slam the sound clearly resonates to the cabins around you. If I can eliminate even one 2 am door slam like I kept getting on my last cruise I will be happy!