Are you and inadvertant pet peeve?

phoenix_dream

Oh oh, somebody has opened Pandora’s Box. I have multiple peeves that have annoyed me intensely:

1) Ships’ Captains. They all seem to drive the ships in to every port and past every scenic wonder in such a way that the view from my cabin/stateroom is either of an open expanse of ocean or the local cement works. For goodness sakes, try reversing in occasionally please.

2) On board photographers. I have no issues with them taking photographs at every possible opportunity. I just want one of them to take a picture that looks more like the refined and attractive gentleman that stares back at me in the mirror most mornings and less like a wrinkled old prune with dubious dress sense. Not much to ask.

3) Whales, especially of the Humpback variety.There must be a global conspiracy for them to have days off when word gets around that I am in hot pursuit armed only with my trusty Nikon. I’ve lost count of the money spent and hours sitting on hard benches in pouring rain waiting to see one of them. A tail slap at 400 metres is a poor return.

4) In a similar vein we have Bears. I know there is no guarantee to see these magnificent creatures but being told that there were so many salmon that all the bears had eaten their fill and were having a nap deep in the woods was just plain silly. Can’t they stagger the eating times – they could have early, late or any time dining!

5) Finally (for now at least) fellow cruisers that respond to my tales of woe in 3 and 4 above by saying that ‘when we were there last year/last month/an hour before you* we saw loads of whales, bears, eagles,walruses, mermaids*.’ It really doesn’t help.

‘*’ delete as appropriate.

OK my tongue was firmly in my cheek when I wrote the above. The way I look at life on board is that a less than perfect day at sea is far better than any day at the office. With thousands of people milling around in close proximity and a limited supply of New York Cheesecake frictions will arise. I believe the OP has it spot on with the word inadvertent. Sometimes people do not realise they are causing offence or annoyance. I have never had a problem politely pointing this out to people.

So If I ever do anything that annoys my fellow cruisers then please remember that I never meant to and just ask me to stop and I will. Unless of course you are objecting to my wild air guitar playing in the silent disco in which case you can go whistle. :)

1. Old Gals who think its necessary to pump 3 quarts of perfume on them before going to the dining room on fancy night.

2. Before we switched to My Time Dining, people who showed up late for their dining times.

That's about it for me. I usually have too much fun enjoying myself on cruises to get wrapped up in other people's shortcomings but since the question was asked .....

Oh oh, somebody has opened Pandora’s Box. I have multiple peeves that have annoyed me intensely:

1) Ships’ Captains. They all seem to drive the ships in to every port and past every scenic wonder in such a way that the view from my cabin/stateroom is either of an open expanse of ocean or the local cement works. For goodness sakes, try reversing in occasionally please.

2) On board photographers. I have no issues with them taking photographs at every possible opportunity. I just want one of them to take a picture that looks more like the refined and attractive gentleman that stares back at me in the mirror most mornings and less like a wrinkled old prune with dubious dress sense. Not much to ask.

3) Whales, especially of the Humpback variety.There must be a global conspiracy for them to have days off when word gets around that I am in hot pursuit armed only with my trusty Nikon. I’ve lost count of the money spent and hours sitting on hard benches in pouring rain waiting to see one of them. A tail slap at 400 metres is a poor return.

4) In a similar vein we have Bears. I know there is no guarantee to see these magnificent creatures but being told that there were so many salmon that all the bears had eaten their fill and were having a nap deep in the woods was just plain silly. Can’t they stagger the eating times – they could have early, late or any time dining!

5) Finally (for now at least) fellow cruisers that respond to my tales of woe in 3 and 4 above by saying that ‘when we were there last year/last month/an hour before you* we saw loads of whales, bears, eagles,walruses, mermaids*.’ It really doesn’t help.

‘*’ delete as appropriate.

OK my tongue was firmly in my cheek when I wrote the above. The way I look at life on board is that a less than perfect day at sea is far better than any day at the office. With thousands of people milling around in close proximity and a limited supply of New York Cheesecake frictions will arise. I believe the OP has it spot on with the word inadvertent. Sometimes people do not realise they are causing offence or annoyance. I have never had a problem politely pointing this out to people.

So If I ever do anything that annoys my fellow cruisers then please remember that I never meant to and just ask me to stop and I will. Unless of course you are objecting to my wild air guitar playing in the silent disco in which case you can go whistle. :)

So glad I read your post after first swallowing my coffee and so sorry we have not come to know you on our cruises! Love the attitude:D:loudcry:

I realize this is about personal peeves, but did you have to really give us this word-picture of dirty toenails??? I don’t think I’ve ever looked at toes except for someone wearing glow-in-the-dark polish. I mean, it’s not like these dirty-toe guys are sticking them in your face. Doesn’t it take more than a little effort to see these unclipped, dirty toes???

Sorry about the mental picture! [emoji23] I don’t actively walk around the ship looking for dirty toenails. It just happens when I’m standing still for a few minutes, like in an elevator or waiting in line. My eyes start wandering around and when they focus on the floor, very often there seems to be someone with nasty, unkept toenails. Can’t help but noticing. Sorry! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OK I thought of a pet peeve and it's not about other pax.

I really don't like when the ship I am sailing docks out in the boonies. It is so annoying to wait and wait and wait for transportation.

It has happened to us too often.

The last cruise, we docked further away in Curacao and Aruba. Princess had our usual slot both times.

The worst was in Copenhagen one year. The Constellation had the good spot and we were miles away, had to pay for and wait for the shuttle. It was very poorly organized.

Sorry about the mental picture! [emoji23] I don’t actively walk around the ship looking for dirty toenails. It just happens when I’m standing still for a few minutes, like in an elevator or waiting in line. My eyes start wandering around and when they focus on the floor, very often there seems to be someone with nasty, unkept toenails. Can’t help but noticing. Sorry! [emoji6]

Don’t worry, A good Irish Whiskey will wash away all those pictures in my head! And I sometimes just enjoy pulling people’s chains. My wife really loves it when I do it in person....ouch.

And you did get me to go look at my toes and clean those babies up before I got back on line. You got me glancing down and I didn’t want to be horrified by my own....

Den

Fritos corn chips.:eek:

Completely agree about the toes. We had a neighbor who had something going on (yellowing nails and dry/flaky skin) yet insisted on wearing sandals anytime the temps got above freezing. Real fun to be at a cookout and see those puppies in all their glory while trying to eat Cheetos. Fungus on your toenails is a medical condition that can be treated with an oral medication. If you cannot take or do not want to take the treatment, please wear socks. And even if your nails are fungus-free, treat yourself to a pedicure now and again.

I hate it when there are 4 people walking across together and you cant get past them. Yeah I know, this should be the worst thing that ever happens to us.

Vigilante walking cures this... puff yourself up and play through. I do this in NYC too. Its like sidewalk chicken.

I write this post not to complain per se, but to perhaps help people who are causing issues for others but don't realize it.

My pet peeve with other passengers is those who let their cabin doors slam. The doors are heavy and on too many occasions I have had the displeasure of being next to (or across the hallway) from passengers who exit (or enter) and let the door slam behind them. On a recent cruise, this was particularly annoying as we are early to bed/early to rise and our next door neighbors regularly came back to their cabins around 2:00 in the morning letting their door slam each time. Ugh! Woke me up many a time. The mean part of me wanted to do the same when I left my cabin at 8:00 am the next morning but I resisted, preferring to think they were doing it without realizing the noise it was causing.

I am writing this hoping some who read this have been doing it and just didn't realize it was causing their neighbors a problem.

Anyone else have any similar issues to address? Please don't even bother mentioning chair hogs. From what I have seen on these boards and experienced onboard they are well aware of inconveniencing others and just don't care. This thread is meant for people who are well-meaning but......

I can't stand when the elevator opens & pax just barge in! I've gotten to saying: "The ship has NOT hit the iceberg quite yet. All you men will still have plenty of time to change into women's clothing & hop in the lifeboats with the children!" Boy does that one get a good laugh from those of us trying to exit!

Edited by keithm
spelling

I have the same problem I have knees and legs that keep me from doing stairs, if people will listen I explain to them the reason

After the explanation they are sorry for saying anything. Know when to complain

IMHO it's terribly rude and presumptive to call someone out for taking an elevator one or two floors. You never know what health situation the other person is in. And for that matter, even though I wish physically capable people would take stairs for just a floor or two they have as much right as anyone to be on the elevators. I could never be so rude as to say otherwise to them.

Ha ha. Or the ones that think it’s ok to turn up to the show three quarters of an hour in and then talk loudly through the performance. There are dufuses everywhere!

Phil

Had some of these on our last cruise - only they showed up right when the show started, sat right behind us, and then proceeded to talk through the whole thing. Are these people really being inadvertent pet peeves or just inconsiderate ........fill-in-the-blank.

For me, it's passengers with the "I'm getting more than my fair share on everything" attitude. Many times they will extend it to others in their party.

They are worse than rude and seem to think they are smarter than everyone else for getting more.

For me, it's passengers with the "I'm getting more than my fair share on everything" attitude. Many times they will extend it to others in their party.

They are worse than rude and seem to think they are smarter than everyone else for getting more.

It ends up hurting us all in the long run. :(

We went with some friends once that wanted us to sneak them into the lounge so they wouldn't have to get the drink package as one of their perks. Nope!! I didn't want to chance it ... plus, it's dishonest and will say it again, it ruins it for others in the long run.

Had some of these on our last cruise - only they showed up right when the show started, sat right behind us, and then proceeded to talk through the whole thing. Are these people really being inadvertent pet peeves or just inconsiderate ........fill-in-the-blank.

I can think of a lot better word (s) that describes people like that.. :evilsmile:

I can't stand when the elevator opens & pax just barge in! I've gotten to saying: "The ship has NOT hit the iceberg quite yet. All you men will still have plenty of time to change into women's clothing & hop in the lifeboats with the children!" Boy does that one get a good laugh from those of us trying to exit!

(y):cool:(y)

1) People who save entire rows of seats at shows, and have only 1/3 of their friends show up...often late...and leave a row mostly unfilled.

2). People who get to shows late, and decide to stand behind the back row...and drink & talk loudly while the show is happening. My gosh, if all you want to do is talk and drink, go find yourself a bar or other hangout. Plenty of them on the ship, and then others can catch the show.

First world problems, I know.

1) People who save entire rows of seats at shows, and have only 1/3 of their friends show up...often late...and leave a row mostly unfilled.

2). People who get to shows late, and decide to stand behind the back row...and drink & talk loudly while the show is happening. My gosh, if all you want to do is talk and drink, go find yourself a bar or other hangout. Plenty of them on the ship, and then others can catch the show.

First world problems, I know.

It may be first world problems, but you've paid good money to not have first world problems!

Mine are people who don't wait for you to get off the elevator before barging in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

Saw that happen on the cruise we just got off. We were waiting to get on right in from of the Sky Lounge as the Elite cocktail party was starting. An elevator shows up full off well dressed folks and when the door opens 2 aussies start to barge in. One gal let them have it:') Just chewed them out, it was very amusing. We were in the elevator with those 2 on the way down and all the did was bitch about the "rude woman". I so wanted to tell them they deserved everything they got.

That's funny:D I'm never quick enough to think to say things like that at the time. It's usually half an hour later. Lol

Phil