Anyone done Viking’s “In Search of Northern Lights” itinerary?

TravelSmith24

We are considering a 2020 In Search Of the Northern Lights cruise up the coast of Norway and would love to hear about your experiences if you have done this with Viking. Specifically, did you get to see the Northern Lights? Which sailing did you take (Jan/Feb/March)? How rough was the water while at sea? Any issues with icebergs or other safety issues? Would you do it again? We are experienced ocean cruisers and have managed our fair share of rough water, but have never done a winter cruise into a cold weather area before. But Aurora Borealis is on my bucket list...Any insights would be appreciated now that Viking has completed its first “season” of these cruises.

Oh, I was under the impression they had started them this year. Yes, I had reviewed all the earlier posts and saw one thread from someone else like me who was curious about this itinerary. But I was hoping to hear from someone who had actually done it already. Guess I will have to wait till next year. I didn’t see any rollcalls yet but will keep an eye out. Thanks.

Oh, I was under the impression they had started them this year. Yes, I had reviewed all the earlier posts and saw one thread from someone else like me who was curious about this itinerary. But I was hoping to hear from someone who had actually done it already. Guess I will have to wait till next year. I didn’t see any rollcalls yet but will keep an eye out. Thanks.

Roll calls are in a separate forum and then subdivided by ship. Viking Ocean Roll Calls. Using the "Find Your Roll Call" tool can be hit or miss and the best way to find a roll call is still to navigate to the correct forum and then use the search function or even just read down the list of roll calls until you find what you are looking for.

Viking Sky - March 14, 2019 - "In Search of the Northern Lights"

Viking Sky - March 2, 2019 "In Search of the Northern Lights"

Search for Northern Lights - Jan 13 2019

Viking Sky ~ Jan 25 - Feb 6 2019 ~ In Search of the Northern Lights

Viking Sky Feb 6, 2019 "In Search of the Northern Lights

In Search of the Northern Lights, March 2, 2019

In Search of the Northern Lights February 18, 2019 - Mar 2,2019

Krisval, there are two March 2 roll calls. If you report it to the moderators, they will combine them into one

We have not been lucky to see the Northern Lights on a cruise, in spite of having done several very northerly cruises. None of the cruises was during summer months. However we fell in love with Iceland, and now visit Iceland by air, and that is when we get to see the Northern Lights. Seeing the lights cannot be guaranteed, and we felt that flying to Iceland and staying a while would improve our chances. It worked, and we can’t wait to go again.

There is a website on which you can monitor your chances of seeing the lights, and we find it quite helpful. Try http://www.spaceweather.com. Good luck. Scroll down towards the bottom on the left hand side, and the map image will be helpful.

Iceland is a wonderful place to see the northern lights. We saw them this past September while returning from an excursion to one of the glaciers. The bus driver pulled over several times so we could get out and look. Because you’re so far north, the lights appear directly overhead. Truly magical. I hope you get to see them!

We did a northern lights cruise to Norway but with P&O. It was in February and luckily we did see the lights but it was pure luck as the second night we were in Alta, the most northern point of the trip it was thick cloud. One tip I will give you is go to the expense of buying proper Arctic weather clothing. On the excursion to see the lights we were stood out for over two hours before they came out then out for a further two hours while they performed a magnificent display. It was -20 and a huge amount of people were so inadequately dressed they had to go back to the ship because they were so cold and missed the lights. The sort of coats people wear for a uk winter, jeans and knitted hats doesn’t cut it in Arctic Norway!

We have not been lucky to see the Northern Lights on a cruise, in spite of having done several very northerly cruises. None of the cruises was during summer months. However we fell in love with Iceland, and now visit Iceland by air, and that is when we get to see the Northern Lights. Seeing the lights cannot be guaranteed, and we felt that flying to Iceland and staying a while would improve our chances. It worked, and we can’t wait to go again.

There is a website on which you can monitor your chances of seeing the lights, and we find it quite helpful. Try www.spaceweather.com. Good luck. Scroll down towards the bottom on the left hand side, and the map image will be helpful.

What a great web site! I will be spending lots of time exploring there. Thanks for recommending it.

We did a northern lights cruise to Norway but with P&O. It was in February and luckily we did see the lights but it was pure luck as the second night we were in Alta, the most northern point of the trip it was thick cloud. One tip I will give you is go to the expense of buying proper Arctic weather clothing. On the excursion to see the lights we were stood out for over two hours before they came out then out for a further two hours while they performed a magnificent display. It was -20 and a huge amount of people were so inadequately dressed they had to go back to the ship because they were so cold and missed the lights. The sort of coats people wear for a uk winter, jeans and knitted hats doesn’t cut it in Arctic Norway!

There is no need to rush out and get expensive cold weather clothing for this trip. Do not let the thought of hugely expensive kit put you off.

It is simply a matter of dressing in layers, and ensuring that those layers are up to the job. We get our stuff from Mountain Warehouse, and mianly buy ahead when they have their sales. Ski socks yes, thermal long johns and thermal vests and fleece tops yes, ski trousers yes and a winter jacket with a minimum of minus 20 degrees C ; we have bought all those on the sale at Mountain Warehouse, and even gloves and fleece hats too. One tip which might be super helpful is try and get a Buff, and if you are keen on photography you may need to search online for special gloves which have finger tops which open and fold back. You can get the special silk inner gloves from Mountsin Warehouse. For information a Buff is like a tubular affair usually. Very colourful and consisting if two types of fabric. You can wear it around your neck, but also bring the top of it up over your ears, and put your hat on top of it. It will look smart and trendy, it is versatile, and above all nice and cosy when it is seriously cold.

Iceland is a wonderful place to see the northern lights. We saw them this past September while returning from an excursion to one of the glaciers. The bus driver pulled over several times so we could get out and look. Because you’re so far north, the lights appear directly overhead. Truly magical. I hope you get to see them!

This is great news! My wife and I are booked for August '19 on the new "Iceland's Majestic Landscapes" cruise on the Sky. I had assumed because of the far northern latitudes during the summer months there is very few hours of any sort of darkness. I had given up hope of seeing the Lights. We will be spending a few days in Iceland, you are telling me we have a chance of seeing them? Outstanding. Just made me even more anxious for the trip to begin.

This is great news! My wife and I are booked for August '19 on the new "Iceland's Majestic Landscapes" cruise on the Sky. I had assumed because of the far northern latitudes during the summer months there is very few hours of any sort of darkness. I had given up hope of seeing the Lights. We will be spending a few days in Iceland, you are telling me we have a chance of seeing them? Outstanding. Just made me even more anxious for the trip to begin.

I don’t know how dark it gets there in August, but by mid-September it was roughly equivalent to Michigan. You can check to see sunset times here: https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/iceland/reykjavik?month=8

I don’t know how dark it gets there in August, but by mid-September it was roughly equivalent to Michigan. You can check to see sunset times here: https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/iceland/reykjavik?month=8

The same website also has a good map that shows you just how dark the night-time sky is going to be all over the globe (just because the sun is down doesn't mean it it completely dark). https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/sunearth.html?iso=20181021T0154 For best viewing, your location should be in the dark purple zone indicated in the map.

The same website also has a good map that shows you just how dark the night-time sky is going to be all over the globe (just because the sun is down doesn't mean it it completely dark). https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/sunearth.html?iso=20181021T0154 For best viewing, your location should be in the dark purple zone indicated in the map.

I am well aware of that. We spent 3 nights in Denali in August where those room darkening shades come in handy!

• 1 month later...
We have booked the "In Search of the Northern Lights" cruise for February 2020. I've wanted to do this for a long time -- kept putting it off.

I'd also be grateful to hear comments from anybody who has experienced this cruise.

Too soon for feed back from pax on Viking (not til Jan, 2019) but you might be able to find feed-back from other cruise lines doing similar itineraries (maybe Hurtigruten). Try the Ports of Call section of these boards and the reviews on the main website. In the meantime, follow the roll calls for all sailings (subscribe to them "daily notification" and you will get an e-mail with any new activity; you won't have to actually check in with those roll calls on a regular basis, because the daily notification will be doing the legwork for you).

Too soon for feed back from pax on Viking (not til Jan, 2019) but you might be able to find feed-back from other cruise lines doing similar itineraries (maybe Hurtigruten). Try the Ports of Call section of these boards and the reviews on the main website. In the meantime, follow the roll calls for all sailings (subscribe to them "daily notification" and you will get an e-mail with any new activity; you won't have to actually check in with those roll calls on a regular basis, because the daily notification will be doing the legwork for you).

Thanks for the good information, Peregrina651. I mistakenly thought that this cruise itinerary had started this year. I have read up on the Hurtigruten ones, and they do give some idea of what's in store.

I'm super excited for this cruise and wish we could do it in 2019, but that unfortunately doesn't fit in life's schedule. I will subscribe to the roll calls. :)

We did a Nothern Lights cruise in February 2012, with the Fred Olsen cruise line (British based). It was absolutely amazing. If there are any specific questions, I might be able to help.

Jammy Bun, thanks for offering to help here!

One thing...did you do any excursions that you particularly enjoyed? If The Lights are not cooperating, I want to make sure the cruise is memorable anyhow.

Jammy Bun, thanks for offering to help here!

One thing...did you do any excursions that you particularly enjoyed? If The Lights are not cooperating, I want to make sure the cruise is memorable anyhow.

I'm not sure which ports you're heading to - and can't remember exactly where we went! In most places we tend to do our own thing, as cruise excursions are normally so expensive and we prefer not to be herded around, but we did do a couple of memorable ones on the Northern Lights cruise... one good, one not so good. The good one was a trip to an Ice Hotel and the less-good one was the 'Chasing the Northern Lights', on which we were out most of the night and weren't lucky with the weather (clouds).

We used to write a cruise blog so that our family and friends could see what we were doing while we were away. You can have a look at it if you wish, but it's not terrible factual! And it's British humour, so if you're from the States, you may not 'get' it. Anyway here's the link...http://norwaywinter.blogspot.com/ As with many blogs, you have to click the 'Older Post' button at the bottom of the page to get back to the beginning and read it in the correct order.

The thing that sticks in my memory most is standing on the balcony in Tromso with heavy snow falling, looking across the water to the Arctic Cathedral. We don't get much snow where we live!

Edited by Jammy Bun
missed information
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure which ports you're heading to - and can't remember exactly where we went! In most places we tend to do our own thing, as cruise excursions are normally so expensive and we prefer not to be herded around, but we did do a couple of memorable ones on the Northern Lights cruise... one good, one not so good. The good one was a trip to an Ice Hotel and the less-good one was the 'Chasing the Northern Lights', on which we were out most of the night and weren't lucky with the weather (clouds).

We used to write a cruise blog so that our family and friends could see what we were doing while we were away. You can have a look at it if you wish, but it's not terrible factual! And it's British humour, so if you're from the States, you may not 'get' it. Anyway here's the link...http://norwaywinter.blogspot.com/ As with many blogs, you have to click the 'Older Post' button at the bottom of the page to get back to the beginning and read it in the correct order.

The thing that sticks in my memory most is standing on the balcony in Tromso with heavy snow falling, looking across the water to the Arctic Cathedral. We don't get much snow where we live!

I enjoyed your blog very much...and the British humour. Isn't it funny how "characters" become so much more vivid on a cruise ship?

The photo of your wife with the lights behind her would make the whole trip worthwhile.

It was Joanna Lumley who got me all jazzed up over seeing the lights. Her BBC trip to the Arctic Circle is on youtube. It's wonderful to watch.

I know the OP asked about weather and safety concerns. If anything about that comes to mind, please do share your experience. It's a bit daunting thinking of being at sea in that extreme climate.

Again, great and very amusing blog!

I enjoyed your blog very much...and the British humour. Isn't it funny how "characters" become so much more vivid on a cruise ship?

The photo of your wife with the lights behind her would make the whole trip worthwhile.

First of all - I am the wife. And the photo of me on the balcony with the green aurora swirling in the background... well, you've heard of Photoshop? My husband tends to be rather creative occasionally! (See what I mean about British humour?)

We did see the lights, but didn't have fancy enough equipment to photograph them - and to be honest, I sometimes think it's better to enjoy and absorb the moment, rather than try to capture an image.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed reading the blog.

Janet

First of all - I am the wife. And the photo of me on the balcony with the green aurora swirling in the background... well, you've heard of Photoshop? My husband tends to be rather creative occasionally! (See what I mean about British humour?)

We did see the lights, but didn't have fancy enough equipment to photograph them - and to be honest, I sometimes think it's better to enjoy and absorb the moment, rather than try to capture an image.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed reading the blog.

Janet

That's hilarious. I admit I did think of photoshop, but we've taken so many balcony shots situated exactly like that that I totally bought into it. Fun stuff!

If you get chance to go dog sledging that was great fun. When I booked my excursion all the daytime slots had gone and was unsure about how worthwhile going in the dark would be but I’m glad I booked. The sledge drivers had lanterns on the sledge and it was very atmospheric.

You need to dress appropriately, some people were complaining that the excursion shouldn’t have been included because of how cold it was, the problem wasn’t the excursion but their ridiculous idea of arctic clothing (the most vocal complainer was wearing a crocheted beret !).