"HIstoric St. Andrews" excursion sold out on British Isles Explorer

mathtutor101

Just wanted to comment that my husband and I love to golf and tried to book the "Historic St.Andrews" excursion onboard the Viking Sun for Tuesday May 15, 2018 on the first day it was available (60 days out to book after midnight) and it was already sold out. Extremely disappointed, but we are going on "Into the Midnight Sun" in July and hope to try again this $219/pp excursion out of Edinburgh port again. May just have to pay more to get 90 days out booking option instead of 60 days on our Veranda Category #3009. We've been checking back every week and it is still sold out. Actually, three of the included tours were unable to book online as well. Guess we will have to spend more money on Viking next time. Cheers!

St Andrews is about one and a half hours drive from Edinburgh. Depending on traffic and time of day maybe more. Take that into consideration if booking a private tour. What a pity you've been so unlucky with the Viking one. St Andrews is lovely but wrap up warm!

Just wanted to comment that my husband and I love to golf and tried to book the "Historic St.Andrews" excursion onboard the Viking Sun for Tuesday May 15, 2018 on the first day it was available (60 days out to book after midnight) and it was already sold out. Extremely disappointed, but we are going on "Into the Midnight Sun" in July and hope to try again this $219/pp excursion out of Edinburgh port again. May just have to pay more to get 90 days out booking option instead of 60 days on our Veranda Category #3009. We've been checking back every week and it is still sold out. Actually, three of the included tours were unable to book online as well. Guess we will have to spend more money on Viking next time. Cheers!

You are just pulling our legs, right? A 90-day cabin so you are guaranteed a spot on the bus while for even less than the cost of the upgrade you can go in a private car for the two of you?:eek:

If an included tour is sold out in all time slots, write to the folks at tellus@vikingcruises.com and tell them which included tours are sold out and ask when they will be adding more seats and what your recourse is if there are no seats available for you. You are guaranteed a place on the included tours.

In any case, try booking St. Andrew's when you get on board; maybe they realize how popular the tour is and be able to add another bus (or find a couple seats last minute).

BTW, every once in a while it turns out that an excursion marked "sold out" isn't being offered at all. Why it isn't deleted just from MVJ, I have no idea but hat is just another Viking quirk (and don't call Viking because the folks who answer the phones won't know; they will just spout the generic script).

Thank you all for the info! My husband just booked a round trip train on RailEurope.com for $67.95 for the TWO of us. We leave Edinburgh-Waverly station to Leuchars, then on to St. Andrews. We will be first off the Viking Sun and make our own private excursion before the ship sets sail at 6:00pm. My husband said Viking is becoming like Disney...creating demand for a magical moment for people like us, only to let 15 or so experience it. That's OK. We paid a lot of money and like to plan ahead and know what we are doing each day. We wanted to be guaranteed to see St. Andrews and the St. Andrews Ladies' Putting Club. We will use the cost savings to buy a lot of golf memorabilia! The people at Rail Europe (800) 622-8600 are a lot friendlier and more helpful than the Viking cruise folks, too.

You are just pulling our legs, right? A 90-day cabin so you are guaranteed a spot on the bus while for even less than the cost of the upgrade you can go in a private car for the two of you?:eek:

If an included tour is sold out in all time slots, write to the folks at tellus@vikingcruises.com and tell them which included tours are sold out and ask when they will be adding more seats and what your recourse is if there are no seats available for you. You are guaranteed a place on the included tours.

In any case, try booking St. Andrew's when you get on board; maybe they realize how popular the tour is and be able to add another bus (or find a couple seats last minute).

BTW, every once in a while it turns out that an excursion marked "sold out" isn't being offered at all. Why it isn't deleted just from MVJ, I have no idea but hat is just another Viking quirk (and don't call Viking because the folks who answer the phones won't know; they will just spout the generic script).

Actually this is not an included excursion but an optional one. Re sending a complaint or comment about something incorrect with the web site, I've had good luck sending a note to TellUs, as well as, with my Viking TA who then forwards my note to the appropriate folks in the Viking IT department. I noticed an error in MVJ where the dates given for an excursion in 2018 was citing a date in 2017. It was fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good advice which we did try...and it helped us to get the included tours booked online. This is our 4th Viking cruise and the most frustrating one for several reasons. For the past 30 days, we've had 2 included tours on our "Wish List" along with optional "Historic St. Andrews" Tour. We sent several emails until the included tours finally opened up for us to book on MVJ. For the optional, which was sold out on day 1, we were told that "Your Wish List is not a wait list. If a shore excursion is sold out, you will have to keep checking back to see if space becomes available." We checked back every day for 30 days and finally gave up. Now we have created our own St. Andrews "optional excursion" (haha) and hope that the risk of doing our own thing will be memorably rewarded. Our Viking exclusive zippered document pouch is inscripted with "The important thing is to never stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

There you go.

Actually this is not an included excursion but an optional one. Re sending a complaint or comment about something incorrect with the web site, I've had good luck sending a note to TellUs, as well as, with my Viking TA who then forwards my note to the appropriate folks in the Viking IT department. I noticed an error in MVJ where the dates given for an excursion in 2018 was citing a date in 2017. It was fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

True but OP tagged on at the end of her opening remarks that they also could not book three included shorex, so you know I just had to comment on that, too.

Your time will be very tight. The station in Edinburgh is not near the docks. Similarly, Leuchars is not in St Andrews. Walking around the old town is more interesting than just looking at the golf courses which can be seen from the road. There's golf touristy stuff in lots of shops.

Be sure and have lunch at 'The Tale End' - the best fish and chips we've ever had.

I've been thinking about this and am a bit worried on your behalf. Rail Europe doesn't run the railways here, Scotrail does and it isn't great. Last time I tried to take the train it was cancelled with no warning while we were all standing on the platform waiting for it.

You'll have to allow for getting to and from the station in Edinburgh and finding transport from Leuchars to and from St Andrews.

I urge you to persevere with Viking. Really hound them. Doesn't matter if you lose your 67.95 dollars (we pay for train tickets in pounds here anyway - another worrying aspect). You could end up spending a whole lot more trying to catch up with the ship.

Souvenirs can easily be bought online.

Don't want to dampen your enthusiasm but...

• 2 weeks later...

OP I live in St Andrews and am looking out to sea as I type. You will love the town, it's ancient buildings, the ruined cathedral and of course, all that is golf. If you are here on a Sunday you can walk on the Old Course and go over the Swilken Bridge.

Nippy Sweetie is right about the fish and chips. Take them out of the shop and sit on a bench in Market Street and watch the world go by.

There are always taxis at Leuchars station and it is a 10 minute drive to St Andrews. Alternatively, the local bus leaves Leuchars stain every 10 minutes. Ask to be taken to the Golf Musum from where you will easily find the Old Course and the R and A clubhouse. The town is small and easily walkable. Enjoy your visit and if you need any specific information please let me know.