What kind of activities to expect onboard Summit

TechKnowBabble

This will be our first Celebrity cruise after 2 with Royal Caribbean. It is my understanding that there won't be activities such as towel folding classes or belly flop contests. Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining here, I was just wondering what activites would be available. Only 6 weeks away and I'm getting very excited!!!

Celebrity is a very upscale hoity-toity cruise line. There will be classes in caligraphy (signing charge slips all day long), art appreciation (watching an auction of stuff you would never by), wine tasting (sitting at the bar hoisting a few) linguistics (trying to understand your waiter and cabin steward) and personal finance (how to declare bancruptcy after you get your final bill)....:rolleyes:

Hi,:) other than the items Jerry mentioned (though I have not

participated in any of them) there is also Trivia, teams as well

as Battle of the Sexes.

They do have an Art Auction and plenty of folks attend.

Bingo is offered as well.

They have wine tastings too. For some reason I can't think of

everything offered. I have loved every one of my X cruises. And I am

looking forward to trying Zenith for the first time in February.

Hoitey Toitey is not how I would describe Celebrity but that is

why we all have different opinions.

Nikki, hope you enjoy your cruise:)

Hi Lois,

The Summit has a motion picture theater that will screen recent films. Celebrity has an enrichment program that will provide guest lecturers, in addition to the computer classes. Port lectures are customary as are excercize classes. There are always activities listed in the daily information letter, but not always enough time to participate.

Petert

Nikki, yes, they do have lecturers on different topics. I forgot about

that.

And I was on Summit in October and it was WONDERFUL:D

Hi Petert!

Oh they do have some pool games but don't recall any bellyflopping.

If you want to play water volleyball, I think they offer that as well.

This will be our first Celebrity cruise after 2 with Royal Caribbean. It is my understanding that there won't be activities such as towel folding classes or belly flop contests. Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining here, I was just wondering what activites would be available. Only 6 weeks away and I'm getting very excited!!!

I haven't checked, but am guessing that you're Summit cruise will be a 14nt or so trans-Canal.

Note on Lectures & Special Entertainment:

IF you're lucky enough to get a good Canal lecturer (e.g., Nelson), then by all means, take advantage of this. He packed the big theater on our trans-Canal cruise with an exceptionally informative 3-part series, including every aspect of how the Canal came to be, including all of the medical and engineering feats, and the many financial and political shenanigans that went on prior to the start of the dig.

Our most recent cruise included Rita Moreno speaking on her life in entertainment and another session on the English language (recorded for posterity!) -- she could have been a stand-up comic, and Pearl Kaufman, pianist for the scores of what must be half of the movies that were ever worth watching. Quite a talent.

You never know who your lecturers or special mid-day entertainment will be on your at-sea days. Keep an eye on them in the ship's daily! Sometimes you'll find the topic or speaker boring, and sometimes you'll find they've booked you a couple of real gems!

You never know who your lecturers or special mid-day entertainment will be on your at-sea days. Keep an eye on them in the ship's daily! Sometimes you'll find the topic or speaker boring, and sometimes you'll find they've booked you a couple of real gems!

And we found ourselves sitting at the same table at lunch in the restaurant with former Miss America Lee Meriwether (Amana girl, Barnaby Jones, Days of Our Lives). You never know!!

If you get a chance, read the Path Between the Seas before you go. There is so much information that you can't take it all in. So a lecture, or a condensation of the book in a one hour PBS/Discovery style movie by the author will just keep refreshing your memory. The movie was shown in the theater on our Panama cruise.

There are introduction to acupuncture sessions, and the actual acupuncture, if you desire, for a charge, of course.

There were lecturers on astronomy and wild life on the Alaska cruise. There were motivational talks on the Panama cruise.

There will no doubt be cooking demonstrations where there may be audience participation in the cooking, and definitely in the tasting. And free martinis are served at a martini mixing seminar.

There are seminars given from the spa on anything from make up to body fat.

There may be dance lessons, bridge tournaments, slots tournaments, win a cruise bingo. And prizes will be given for winners of trivia games...prize might be a bingo card or larger prize.

And the worst part is that two or even three may occur at the same time and you have to choose one. It's a good idea to call guest relations to find out if any of them will be repeated. Some things are shown again on the onboard tv but not all.

I haven't checked, but am guessing that you're Summit cruise will be a 14nt or so trans-Canal.

Note on Lectures & Special Entertainment:

IF you're lucky enough to get a good Canal lecturer (e.g., Nelson), then by all means, take advantage of this. He packed the big theater on our trans-Canal cruise with an exceptionally informative 3-part series, including every aspect of how the Canal came to be, including all of the medical and engineering feats, and the many financial and political shenanigans that went on prior to the start of the dig.

Our most recent cruise included Rita Moreno speaking on her life in entertainment and another session on the English language (recorded for posterity!) -- she could have been a stand-up comic, and Pearl Kaufman, pianist for the scores of what must be half of the movies that were ever worth watching. Quite a talent.

Wow...that is really neat. I like Rita Moreno. I wasn't aware there would be actual stars on the ship (possibly) that's very cool.

Regis has a contract to do some speaking for Celebrity as does a number of of less famous folks.

At pool side there will be bands playing and they'll have everything from a hula contest to --my favorite-- martini shaking contest (you learn how to shake it upside down without a lid--a real valuable skill to talk back home with you).

They will bring folks up on stage to sing and dance and get everyone laughing.

Regis has a contract to do some speaking for Celebrity as does a number of of less famous folks.

At pool side there will be bands playing and they'll have everything from a hula contest to --my favorite-- martini shaking contest (you learn how to shake it upside down without a lid--a real valuable skill to talk back home with you).

They will bring folks up on stage to sing and dance and get everyone laughing.

Oooohhhh...that is a valuable skill...hope I'm coordinated enough to learn. Thanks for the tip!

Interesting. When I was channel surfing on Monday morning for the Rose Bowl parade, it just so happened that Regis and sidekick were broadcasting a show from NCL's Pride of America. (They also mentioned they would be doing so each day this week). I watched just long enough to see them set up a contest where passengers -- all grown men -- lined up at a long table with their hands tied behind their back. Each was presented a bowl of some barbecuey-looking goo containing hot dogs, with the objective being retrieving and consuming as many as they could within two minutes. Use your imagination here.

That was that!

Do you really want someone who believes the public wants to view this to be in Celebrity's corner? Say it ain't so!

Interesting. When I was channel surfing on Monday morning for the Rose Bowl parade, it just so happened that Regis and sidekick were broadcasting a show from NCL's Pride of America. (They also mentioned they would be doing so each day this week). I watched just long enough to see them set up a contest where passengers -- all grown men -- lined up at a long table with their hands tied behind their back. Each was presented a bowl of some barbecuey-looking goo containing hot dogs, with the objective being retrieving and consuming as many as they could within two minutes. Use your imagination here.

That was that!

Do you really want someone who believes the public wants to view this to be in Celebrity's corner? Say it ain't so!

Good grief. I'd heard some negative things about Norwegian's "Freestyle Dining", but didn't realize it had come to this!:eek:

Good grief. I'd heard some negative things about Norwegian's "Freestyle Dining", but didn't realize it had come to this!:eek:

Actually, our experience of NCL was worse than this. I'm not kidding! :D

There were cakes actually squashed into the carpet on the Norwegian Jewel in August 2005.

It was the maiden voyage, and I guess they'd run out of plates!!!:eek:

(And yes, that was the first and last time we'll be going with NCL!)

At least Reg is only ask to speak--not bring his show--on Celebrity

In 2005 the top 10 celebrities involved in cruise activities were as follows:

1. Regis Philbin

2. Kelly Ripa

During June 2005 Regis Philbin and Kelly Ripa gave away free cruises to 1,000 contest winners and fans to join them on a week-long vacation at sea onboard “Live’s Pride of America Cruisin’ Reunion.” During the cruise, they did five shows from the NCL ship. Regis Philbin is also occasionally an invited speaker on Celebrity Cruise Line.

3. Mary Tyler Moore

Crystal Harmony Godmother and seven-time Emmy Award-winner Mary Tyler Moore, joined the ship on October 22, 2005 for one of the ship’s last voyages as part of the Crystal Cruises fleet. The star of television, stage and film christened Crystal Harmony in 1990.

4. Isabella Rossellini

In March 2005 Silversea Cruises published its new full-color Voyage Atlas with the lifestyle section that features images of Isabella Rossellini, Silversea’s new Ambassador. Isabella personally selected suites onboard cruise line’s ships that were customized and refurnished to her liking, and renamed The Rossellini Suite.

5. Rita Moreno

Rita Moreno, the only female performer to have won all four of the most prestigious show business awards, Oscar, Emmy, Tony and the Grammy, was the onboard lecturer for Celebrity’s Constellation on July 30 - Aug 16, 2005.

6. Carly Simon

Pop musician Carly Simon's PBS concert was recorded onboard Cunard's Queen Mary 2 and is currently airing on more than 100 stations. It marked the first time that a television special was taped during a transatlantic crossing.

7. Melania Trump

Melania Trump christened the world's largest gem, NCL's Norwegian Jewel at an official ceremony at the Port of Miami on November 5th.

8. Elaine Chao

In July 2005 U.S. Secretary of Labor Elaine Chao christened one of two Carnival Cruise Lines ships the Pride of America.

9. Mira Sorvino

Actress Mira Sorvino became a godmother to the Carnival Liberty in July 2005.

10. Princess Anne

Her Royal Highness Princess Anne christened 1,874-passenger P&O‘s cruise ship Aurora on April 27, 2005 with the words "May God bless this ship and all who sail in her."

Archived