Look Who's in the Panama Canal today...

Essiesmom

No doubt about it, you would miss some things in a night transit... but... but... however, a night transit is pretty neat in its own way. You can see things pretty well at the locks at night and with all the bank lighting in Gaillard Cut makes that part of the transit very attractive. A daylight transit certainly preferable, then again a night transit isn't a washout! I suppose they felt the $30,000 saved for a daylight transit guarantee could be better spent on their book program. Wonder if they had a transit reservation? That would be another $5500 on top of the toll for that sized ship.

I'm sure they had a reservation, as they have a schedule. Actually, they were supposed to be in Balboa yesterday, not 2am or so today... A couple of years ago, the little Windstar ships - the ones they go from Seabourn - were doing night transits. Don't know if the guests realized it would be that way, but someone wrote a review here, very upset about it. They do it in daylight now. EM

• 3 weeks later...

enhance

enhance

enhance

The next transit will be Friday, Aug 24, Sea Princess westbound on her world cruise. Heading back home to Australia. She also has a very nice bridgecam, https://www.princess.com/bridgecams/?shipCode=ru

The Panama cams are here: https://www.pancanal.com/eng/photo/camera-java.html?cam=Miraflores. Only the Gatun High Red. and the Miraflores Hi-res work, and sometimes you have to refresh often, especially the Gatun cam. I may not be able to get much of her transit because I will be on the road to a cruise...

This is a sample from last years transit:

enhanceEM

This post is not really "who's in the Canal today" but rather what's not in the Canal today! More accurately, what is not in the Canal today... that would be water;). Borrowed this picture from EM above, the Crystal Symphony is moving between the middle level to the lower level... take a close look to the left. What you are seeing is the west lane of Gatun without water. What is going on is "dry chamber" to renew miter gate seals as well as the quoin seals for the gate that will be reinstalled.

Dry West Chamber on the Left...

enhance

Here are some drone shots taken during the lane outage ... The first is looking south from the sea entrance towards Gatun Lake... 244r70x.jpg

Looking north from the chamber towards the sea...

23m6l9h.jpg

Photo Credit: Canal's FB page, Canal de Panama for last two photos

Edited by BillB48
Add photo credit

Maybe they are all canaled out, since it is the last lock in the middle of the afternoon. Actually, it could be crew. If I am not mistaking the bow on that ship is not open to the public, pretty sure there is a small crew pool on the bow. At the bottom center of the the picture you can just see the round white edge of what I think is the pool.

• 3 weeks later...