New shuttle bus service to Edinburgh from Queensferry 2018

On the cruise right now and use the shuttle system. It's a work in progress and for the most part seems to be a good option.However, we got on the broken bus and sat at the pier for over 35 minutes before the driver admitted there were problems. We then got onto another bus and had to wait until that filled, missed our scheduled tour in Edinburgh. The return trip about 4: was a bit slow due to traffic, but worked out well.

Tenders went quickly, the port also used on of their larger boats in the afternoon.

Seems the lower rate of 6GBP return forced other vendors to lower their price. Glad we didn't attempt the 120 steps at the rail station.

Darcy

Darcy

What kind of tour did you miss? We were going to repurchase castle tickets but they Are times. Does anyone know ihowblong the window is to get in with a timed ticket?

Darcy

What kind of tour did you miss? We were going to repurchase castle tickets but they Are times. Does anyone know ihowblong the window is to get in with a timed ticket?

We had a scheduled walking tour, eventually connected with the guides and moved the tour up an hour. We have all decided to fly to LHR and then do a road trip to truly experience Edinburgh and the surrounding area - not enough time to take in all the sites and experiences. If we did the Castle, it would have prevented us from doing other things on our agenda. So much to see on the small closes off the Royal Mile.

Darcy

• 2 weeks later...

tartanexile81

I hope you are still monitoring this thread.

We arrived home late Sunday night (May 20), and then, in a happy surprise, when the mail came on Monday, what did I find but a small package with 4 St Andrews golf ball markers :D:D! Thank you so much for sending them. So enjoyed meeting you and your hubby (I won't use your names because I haven't seen you sign your name on any posts and am unsure if you want people to know).

Thank you so much for this and all the other info you have provided :). We used the new shuttle service (and the HOHO option) and thought it was great. We used the green bus, as you suggested, and our guide was a hoot--very dry sense of humor.

I don't remember what time we took the tender but it must have been around 8:30 or so. We did have short wait to get on one but it wasn't too bad. the trip took 15-20 minutes, as I recall.

A couple of notes:

When you pay for the combined RT shuttle and the HOHO bus, you don't actually have a ticket for the HOHO bus yet. You have to walk over to the HOHO start point (close to where we were dropped off at St Andrew Square). If you walk south on St Andrew Square Street, cross Princes St and walk west around Waverly Mall, the HOHO busses load there (If you pass a McDonald's on S St Andrew, you're going the correct way).

There you show them your paper ticket and they give you a HOHO ticket. This may be the usual way, but we never used a HOHO before so it was new to us! They will give back part of the original paper ticket to use to reboard the shuttle for the trip back to the ship.

Loved Edinburgh and all our ports, saw so much. We are happy to be home and reunited with our dog. Now we have to readjust to the altitude, making our own meals, and cleaning up after ourselves :)

Thanks again, happy cruising

Mary Lynn

tartanexile81

We arrived home late Sunday night (May 20), and then, in a happy surprise,<snip> So enjoyed meeting you and your hubby (I won't use your names because I haven't seen you sign your name on any posts and am unsure if you want people to know).

I don't remember what time we took the tender but it must have been around 8:30 or so. We did have short wait to get on one but it wasn't too bad. the trip took 15-20 minutes, as I recall.

<SNIP>

Loved Edinburgh and all our ports, saw so much. We are happy to be home and reunited with our dog. Now we have to readjust to the altitude, making our own meals, and cleaning up after ourselves :)

Thanks again, happy cruising

Mary Lynn

Mary Lynn I'm so glad you posted! Now we have a person who did it! A few comments here:

First off - So Tartanexile81, you are a female? :D I never realized that. !!

Next Mary Lynn can you pleaase answer some more questions:

Did you visit the Castle? If so, how did you get there and at what time? I thought we could be off the ship by 9AM (after the ships excursions() and take the shuttle and start at the Castle with a timed ticket for 10- 11:30 and then walk down the royal mile and still have time for a HOHO loop.

What time did you catch the shuttle back to ship? And What time was ON BOARD? If you could describe in a bit more detail your day in Edinburgh it would be a BIG (no HUGE!) help.

Steve

Next Mary Lynn can you pleaase answer some more questions:

Did you visit the Castle? If so, how did you get there and at what time? I thought we could be off the ship by 9AM (after the ships excursions() and take the shuttle and start at the Castle with a timed ticket for 10- 11:30 and then walk down the royal mile and still have time for a HOHO loop.

What time did you catch the shuttle back to ship? And What time was ON BOARD? If you could describe in a bit more detail your day in Edinburgh it would be a BIG (no HUGE!) help.

Steve

Hi Steve

Happy to help (but tartanexile is the true expert) ;)

We did not go in the castle. TBH, we were castle'd out by the time we got there! I think your plan would work, if you mean that your timed ticket allows entry anytime between 10 and 11:30. When we got on the shuttle, we were stuck in rush hour traffic for some time, which slowed us down. Even so, I think it took about 20 minutes to get to St Andrew Square.

Then, if you want to use the HOHO, just follow my notes above to find it and you can take it to the castle (I think that is the only stop they always make). If I have that wrong, you will have to let your guide or the driver know if you want to get off the bus. If you sit upstairs (where the guide is), he asks for a show of hands for anyone wanting to get off at each stop and then he tells the driver. If you sit downstairs, there is a button you push; you will hear the guide's commentary. At least, this is how it was on the Green bus (which is the one with a live guide, in English).

The HOHO loop takes 90 minutes, and this is what we did. I had injured my foot in Dublin and had made it worse with all the walking we did in other ports, so we thought we would ride the loop and get off if we saw anything we wanted to check out more closely. As it turned out, we didn't.

Walking down the Royal Mile can take some time, I have no idea how long it would take to see the castle, but I'm sure others will post who know.

On board was 6:30 pm, with sailaway at 7 pm. After the HOHO loop, we decided to go back and explore Queensferry and get some lunch. Unfortunately, just as we arrived, the skies opened and dumped a lot of rain on us, so we just got back on the ship. This was probably around 1 pm. I think we ended up doing laundry that afternoon!

So, if you got to the castle at 10, spent an hour checking it out, then another 90 minutes walking down the Royal Mile and exploring, you should have plenty of time to take the HOHO loop, assuming your ship (the Royal?) is on the same schedule as ours. IIRC, they make 2 stops for the Ryal Mile, so be sure and pay attention to where the stops are on your way to the castlle.

Also be sure and allow plenty of time to catch the shuttle back. We went back at about 12:30 or so, and waited for about 20 minutes before the bus left (it wasn't full but I think they wait for another bus to show up). I'm sure as the onboard time gets closer, they will wait and fill the buses.

The only other notes I can add have to with bathrooms. On the way to the HOHO stop, you can use the McDonald's I mentioned above. There are bathrooms in the food court in Waverly Mall, but you need 30 p (or maybe 20) to use them. Just be prepared and it will be fine.

Good luck, you'll love it

ML

I'm going to bold my answers and hope this works :)

Hi Steve

We did not go in the castle. TBH, we were castle'd out by the time we got there! I think your plan would work, if you mean that your timed ticket allows entry anytime between 10 and 11:30. When we got on the shuttle, we were stuck in rush hour traffic for some time, which slowed us down. Even so, I think it took about 20 minutes to get to St Andrew Square.

I'm confused here - sorry - but I thought the shuttle from Queensferry takes 45 minutes to get to St. Andrews Square? Am I wrong? You say it took 20 minutes WITH rush hour traffic?

Then, if you want to use the HOHO, just follow my notes above to find it and you can take it to the castle (I think that is the only stop they always make). If I have that wrong, you will have to let your guide or the driver know if you want to get off the bus. If you sit upstairs (where the guide is), he asks for a show of hands for anyone wanting to get off at each stop and then he tells the driver. If you sit downstairs, there is a button you push; you will hear the guide's commentary. At least, this is how it was on the Green bus (which is the one with a live guide, in English).

The HOHO loop takes 90 minutes, and this is what we did. I had injured my foot in Dublin and had made it worse with all the walking we did in other ports, so we thought we would ride the loop and get off if we saw anything we wanted to check out more closely. As it turned out, we didn't.

Walking down the Royal Mile can take some time, I have no idea how long it would take to see the castle, but I'm sure others will post who know.

On board was 6:30 pm, with sailaway at 7 pm. After the HOHO loop, we decided to go back and explore Queensferry and get some lunch. Unfortunately, just as we arrived, the skies opened and dumped a lot of rain on us, so we just got back on the ship. This was probably around 1 pm. I think we ended up doing laundry that afternoon!

Our ship ((RCI Brilliance of the Seas) is in 7am to 6pm. (On Board at 5:30). So ours will be different. You were on Princess I think so you "do laundry". RCI does not have self-serve laundry on any of their ship. And the price for a bag is pretty hefty). So this wont apply to us.

So, if you got to the castle at 10, spent an hour checking it out, then another 90 minutes walking down the Royal Mile and exploring, you should have plenty of time to take the HOHO loop, assuming your ship (the Royal?) is on the same schedule as ours. IIRC, they make 2 stops for the Ryal Mile, so be sure and pay attention to where the stops are on your way to the castlle.

I think we can probably do that. Would be a shame to not take the HOHO bus. for the 11 # extra.

The only other notes I can add have to with bathrooms. On the way to the HOHO stop, you can use the McDonald's I mentioned above. There are bathrooms in the food court in Waverly Mall, but you need 30 p (or maybe 20) to use them. Just be prepared and it will be fine.

Good luck, you'll love it Thanks for the tips. Isn't that what CC is for? Hopeyour leg heals up soon!:)

ML

Steve

It didn't take 45 minutes but maybe 20 into town is a little short. If you want to be conservative, call it 45 and you'll have plenty of time to do things. It definitely didn't take 45 to get back to Queensferry. But, as you say, it does depend on traffic. And if you are returning closer to onboard time that might make a difference.

I only added the laundry note because I was typing in a stream-of-consciousness! One of my favorite things about Princess is the onboard laundry :). We sailed on RCI last year around NZ. Loved the ports but I wasn't that impressed with RCI. I wasn't suggesting you should do laundry instead of seeing Edinburgh ;)

Even with the hour difference in onboard time, I think you should be able to see the castle, explore the Royal Mile and take the HOHO. Just keep an eye on the time and get off the ship ASAP.

Have fun (my foot is slowly getting better) ;)

ML

Mary Lynn, thanks so much for sharing. Your info helps a lot. Thanks for the bathroom tips!! LOL

Steve, just wanted to remind you that if you don't feel you will use the HOHO part of the transport, you can buy one way tickets into and out of Edinburgh on the HOHO shuttle for £4 each way.

We are unsure if we will use the HOHO shuttle or the train to get into town. We may make our decision that morning, depending on weather, crowds, how quickly we can get off the ship etc. We will be there during the Tattoo and the Fringe Festival, so guessing traffic will be pretty intense, which might slow down the shuttle. So thinking the train might be faster, even with the 120 steps.

Once in Edinburgh, our plan is to walk to the Royal Mile and then walk DOWN it towards the Palace of Holyrood. After touring the Palace, we will get on the HOHO at that point and take the 70-90 minute loop. Our cruise ship has an overnight there and we are staying in Edinburgh that night for the Tattoo. So the next morning will tour the Castle first thing, then walk DOWN the Royal Mile from the Castle to the spot we started out at the day before. Then either the train or the HOHO back to the ship. We are hoping this will give us time to enjoy Edinburgh, without the rush rush rush of too many tours. Any opinions? Suggestions?

The lines for the HOHO shuttle might not be too long the second day we are in Edinburg, and still need to check train schedule to see how often it leaves the cruise port and the times it returns to the port. So more to do!!!

Thanks again to tartanexile81 for all the great and continuing information.

Steve, just wanted to remind you that if you don't feel you will use the HOHO part of the transport, you can buy one way tickets into and out of Edinburgh on the HOHO shuttle for £4 each way.

We are unsure if we will use the HOHO shuttle or the train to get into town. We may make our decision that morning, depending on weather, crowds, how quickly we can get off the ship etc. We will be there during the Tattoo and the Fringe Festival, so guessing traffic will be pretty intense, which might slow down the shuttle. So thinking the train might be faster, even with the 120 steps.

Once in Edinburgh, our plan is to walk to the Royal Mile and then walk DOWN it towards the Palace of Holyrood. After touring the Palace, we will get on the HOHO at that point and take the 70-90 minute loop. Our cruise ship has an overnight there and we are staying in Edinburgh that night for the Tattoo. So the next morning will tour the Castle first thing, then walk DOWN the Royal Mile from the Castle to the spot we started out at the day before. Then either the train or the HOHO back to the ship. We are hoping this will give us time to enjoy Edinburgh, without the rush rush rush of too many tours. Any opinions? Suggestions?

The lines for the HOHO shuttle might not be too long the second day we are in Edinburg, and still need to check train schedule to see how often it leaves the cruise port and the times it returns to the port. So more to do!!!

Hi Anita: If I remember the shuttle is 4# each way or 6# return. 9# gives your return plus the regular buises in Edinburgh. 20# includes the two HOHOs.

You are luckt to be there overnight. We get Dublin for our overnight (but, because of tides now dock at 11am instead of 7am). I don't know which date in August you are on but 4 of my friends are probably on your ship. I encourage them to use CC but they seem to want to be "independent" and don't join "groups" - their loss. :D

Really appreciate all the information!

We will be traveling with my parents on Royal Princess Jun 18-30 and stop in Edinburgh on Jun 27. I think taking train or shuttle then walk uphill to Edinburgh castle entrance will be too much for my parents but interested to take the shuttle for return trip. Can I pay the shuttle driver directly when get on-board the bus? Or I have to purchase tickets in Queensferry?

Also I am under the impression that it's not easy to hail taxi in Queensferry, thinking I should book it in advance, where is any ideal spot or is there a designated location in Queensferry for taxi pick up?

Thanks in advance!

We will be traveling with my parents on Royal Princess Jun 18-30 and stop in Edinburgh on Jun 27. I think taking train or shuttle then walk uphill to Edinburgh castle entrance will be too much for my parents but interested to take the shuttle for return trip. Can I pay the shuttle driver directly when get on-board the bus? Or I have to purchase tickets in Queensferry?

Also I am under the impression that it's not easy to hail taxi in Queensferry, thinking I should book it in advance, where is any ideal spot or is there a designated location in Queensferry for taxi pick up?

Thanks in advance!

It sounds to me like your best bet is to that the shuttle with your parents and buy the 20# ticket. It's only a short flat walk to get on the Hop Off Hop On bus and you round ride around and get off (and on at the castle.). It eventually brings you to where the shuttle bus takes you back to ship. And you'd have a full day of sightseeing with narration.

S

It sounds to me like your best bet is to that the shuttle with your parents and buy the 20# ticket. It's only a short flat walk to get on the Hop Off Hop On bus and you round ride around and get off (and on at the castle.). It eventually brings you to where the shuttle bus takes you back to ship. And you'd have a full day of sightseeing with narration.

S

Thank you Steve!

• 4 weeks later...
tartanexile81

We arrived home late Sunday night (May 20), and then, in a happy surprise, when the mail came on Monday, what did I find but a small package with 4 St Andrews golf ball markers :D:D! Thank you so much for sending them. So enjoyed meeting you and your hubby (I won't use your names because I haven't seen you sign your name on any posts and am unsure if you want people to know).

Thank you so much for this and all the other info you have provided :). We used the new shuttle service (and the HOHO option) and thought it was great. We used the green bus, as you suggested, and our guide was a hoot--very dry sense of humor.

Mary Lynn

Just come across this post Mary Lynn. So glad the markers arrived safely (and quickly!) and that you enjoyed your visit to Edinburgh. It was lovely to meet you both - we had a great evening onboard Royal :D. R x

Thanks in advance!

First of all yes you can pay the bus driver (correct money only) for the trip from Edinburgh to Queensferry.

There is a taxi rank right by the gates to Hawes Pier so no problem getting a taxi at Queensferry. Taxis can be easily hailed on the street in Edinburgh and there are ranks dotted across the city centre

We're still in the brilliance - free WiFi day - and just want tip say that the shuttle was fabulous. We bought the return for 6 # and shared a cab up to castle with another couple. 6# total. Saw castle-had explorer pass - and walked down mile to see parliament (must see open every day) and 4pm bus back to ship. Thank you tartan exile and lotharian!

We're still in the brilliance - free WiFi day - and just want tip say that the shuttle was fabulous. We bought the return for 6 # and shared a cab up to castle with another couple. 6# total. Saw castle-had explorer pass - and walked down mile to see parliament (must see open every day) and 4pm bus back to ship. Thank you tartan exile and lotharian!

We'll be on the Brilliance July 27th. How was the tender process at that port? And how long to get on the shuttle and then how long to get downtown? Any other tips?

We'll be on the Brilliance July 27th. How was the tender process at that port? And how long to get on the shuttle and then how long to get downtown? Any other tips?

I was on Brilliance when it was last here and the tender seemed to go well with the local tourist boats being used as well. The shuttle goes continuously and there's been plenty of buses. The journey to the city centre depends on time of day (i.e. takes a bit longer in rush hour) but roughly 30-35 minutes

We were off ship within 30 minutes. Easy process. They hire large sightseeing boats and at least 3 or 4 buses waiting. Super easy. Btw tomorrow well see how tender in Guernsey. Are you on cruise critic roll call for your sailing? Ill try to join when I get home Wednesday and answer port and ship questions. I only have Wi-Fi today. But you can email me questions to answer next week at stevenramm at aol dot com.

Best rec for Wales is with busy bus tours. Better than rci's. Book now on line and request small bus. Mention Steve from last brilliance. They now know me. Sorry if some of this is off topic 😁

We were off ship within 30 minutes. Easy process. They hire large sightseeing boats and at least 3 or 4 buses waiting. Super easy. Btw tomorrow well see how tender in Guernsey. Are you on cruise critic roll call for your sailing? Ill try to join when I get home Wednesday and answer port and ship questions. I only have Wi-Fi today. But you can email me questions to answer next week at stevenramm at aol dot com.

Best rec for Wales is with busy bus tours. Better than rci's. Book now on line and request small bus. Mention Steve from last brilliance. They now know me. Sorry if some of this is off topic 😁

Thanks, Steve. Yes, I'm on roll call for the July 25th sailing. I'm traveling with 22 friends - we are booked on Busy bus in Wales - Invergordon Bus Tours there - and Butlers in Cork - each tour just our group. The rest of the places we're just exploring. There are so many things I've written down for Edinburgh including a free 2 hour walking tour - I was concerned about how long it takes getting back and forth which would even more shorten that day. Thanks for the info!! I've kept your email!

Thanks Steve and Tartan for the updates.

After much discussion, we have decided against the train to get into Edinburgh. We will use the HOHO shuttle and if there is a wait, will just get a cab.

Checking with City Cabs (fare approximately £34.00) and Central Taxi (fare approximately £25-£26) it is a reasonable price for the 4 of us. And they will drop us off right at North Bridge and the Royal Mile where our airB&b is located. So if the tenders are handled that well for us, and the traffic is not too bad, we should have a full day in Edinburgh.

We will walk DOWN the Royal Mile from North Bridge, ending up at the Palace. After touring the Palace with our pre bought tickets, we plan to hop on the Green HOHO bus (live commentary) for a full ride, around 70 minutes. That will give us our history lesson and we can see a bit of the area away from the Mile. Back to our apartment to get ready for dinner at the Witchery, then the Tattoo. Next morning will tour the Castle (pre bought tickets) , enjoy the Whiskey Experience, and walk back DOWN the Mile to North Bridge where we started the day before. We will probably take the train back to the port, as it sounds like a bit of an adventure....and we can walk DOWN the stairs!! I love it when a plan finally comes together!!

Thanks, Steve. Yes, I'm on roll call for the July 25th sailing. I'm traveling with 22 friends - we are booked on Busy bus in Wales - Invergordon Bus Tours there - and Butlers in Cork - each tour just our group. The rest of the places we're just exploring. There are so many things I've written down for Edinburgh including a free 2 hour walking tour - I was concerned about how long it takes getting back and forth which would even more shorten that day. Thanks for the info!! I've kept your email!

Will ply from home. Was in Canterbury today and it was at and cheap on my own tool cab from ship to train 8# for up to 4 people - I was just me - train to Canterbury 16 minute ride was 9#. Return. Took walking tour for two hours for 7#. You should previous and break up group into 11 each.

More to see here and catch train back

I was on Brilliance when it was last here and the tender seemed to go well with the local tourist boats being used as well. The shuttle goes continuously and there's been plenty of buses. The journey to the city centre depends on time of day (i.e. takes a bit longer in rush hour) but roughly 30-35 minutes

For some reason I can't pull up the shuttle website - my computer says "not a secure site" - I just wanted to know - is the price 6 pounds ROUND TRIP? And do they take credit cards? If so where/who do you pay?

For some reason I can't pull up the shuttle website - my computer says "not a secure site" - I just wanted to know - is the price 6 pounds ROUND TRIP? And do they take credit cards? If so where/who do you pay?

Here's the brochure. They have staff standing there with credit card machines outside the buses. JUst make you are at the square by 3:30pm to not catch last bus.

https://www.lothianbuses.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/X99-Cruiselink-WEB.pdf

Steve