Budget & kid friendly port activities?

sandkps

Hello!

We are cruising to Alaska next week and looking for budget & kid friendly (boys ages 12 & 9) activity ideas while in the ports of Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway. They love animal sightings and would really enjoy seeing a glacier up close as well as panning for gold.

Due to employment issues we are on a much tighter budget this cruise than we’d originally planned and must keep our spending as low as possible, but still want to provide our kids with memorable experiences as this really is a once in a lifetime trip for us.

Any suggestions or advise would be very much appreciated!!

Thank you!

I know that in skagway there are trails that you can hike. There is one by the old miner cemetery one the edge of town that leads to a water fall. We walked to it or you can take the free trolley.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I know that in skagway there are trails that you can hike. There is one by the old miner cemetery one the edge of town that leads to a water fall. We walked to it or you can take the free trolley.

https://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/shorterdayhikes.htm

Not a port idea, but definitely get them looking for whales/whale spouts from the ship. Maybe check youtube for videos so they know what they are looking for.

In Skagway, one can sometimes see a seal or two near the dock. In Ketchikan, there are plenty of eagles to see -- look up into the trees, see something that looks like a plastic grocery bag? Look closer, that is very likely an eagle.

Have a great time!

I know that in Ketchikan you can ride the funicular at the top of Creek Street (I think $2pp) then check out the totem poles at the lodge on top of the hill. There's also the Totem Heritage Center in town. There are museums in each town. Check the websites for each city.

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Forums mobile app

Past trip reports are a good resource ... look thru the family reports to see what others have done. Most people can't afford $thousands at every port. You can have a great time and spend nothing or under $150.

You'll see bald eagles along the coast from Seattle thru BC and Alaska. Look in the large trees, esp at the mouth of a river or near a port. You;ll see what looks like a golf ball !

- Juneau I'd suggest a rental car, but you've left it to the last minute so there may be nothing available. With a car you can drive to Mendenhall Glacier and take an easy hike to Nuggett Falls. Then drive 20 miles to the coast where you can visit Eagle Beach .. look for eagles and whales off shore.

- Ketchikan .. wander around the harbor and Creek St. Usually lots of eagles around Ketchikan. Look for the colorful starfish around the piers. Take the city bus $2 to Totem Bight. The kids will enjoy the colorful totems and the history behind each one, plus it's located on the water with a short hike in the forest. http://www.experienceketchikan.com/things-to-do-in-alaska.html

- Skagway. A rental car to Emerald Lake would have been nice . Early in the season people often spot black bears grazing along the hwy. But you would need passports to cross the border. Otherwise visit the Klondike Goldrush Museum and do their free walking tour. Then walk out to the Goldrush Cemetary where some ot the colorful characters are buried. At the edge of the cemetary there's a trail to Lower Reid Falls.

Most towns have a web site with maps, suggested activities, trails, visitor guides, etc. (Similar to the Ketchikan link posted above. ) Look in the Helpful Resources thread for those web sites.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2347988&highlight=resources

-

Here is a link to the Klondike Gold Rush National Historic Park in Skagway.

We reserved a walking tour- it is free, however there is a 75cents per person reservation fee. There are a few different options and the website might be something for the kids to look into in advance of your trip.

https://www.nps.gov/klgo/index.htm

Ketchikan - Take the Duck tour, cheap and the kids will love it. Take them to the lumberjack show. Take the funicular to Cape Fox Lodge and hike back down through the woods. Go to the SE Alaska Discovery Center for nature exhibits and a film.

Juneau - rent a car if possible. They are around $100 for a day. Drive to Mendenhall Glacier and hike to the huge waterfall and on the Trail of Time. Take pictures of the kids in front of the glacier so when they come back in 20 years they can see how much the glacier has receded. Drive out to Eagle Beach and let them run.... Drive over to Douglas Island and go to the beach/ playground there. Eat halibut and chips at the Sand Bar. Walk out to the end of the runway on the nature trail and watch a jet take off right over your head. Geocache. Check out the University campus at Auke Lake. Go tidepooling. Take the tram up Mt. Roberts and hike around looking for ptarmigan.

Skagway - The NPS has a ton of stuff for "junior" rangers including their own building where they can do activities. Hike out to the point. Hang out in Pullen Park. Rent a car and drive to the Yukon. Get the shuttle over to Dyea and go on a ranger walk including the slide cemetery. Go to the city museum. Buy elephant ears made on the spot at Klondike Doughboy. Take the shuttle bus out to the gold dredge and pan for gold. Go to the NPS museum and watch the movie and check out the "ton of goods" the miner's had to haul to Dawson City.

Also, check town websites for any special activities going on.....