St Thomas Day Sails

cruisedad

We are booked with Kathleen and High Pockets for a May 30th sail. Since we are 5 we have the entire sailboat for our family. I have such a great feeling about Kathleen and her husband Jim. Not only were all of our emails answered promptly we have also spoken with them numerous times on the telephone.

Oddly enough we decided to book this as we didnt want to be in St Thomas with the masses of cruise ship passengers. The last time we were there it was so crowded with 8 ships being in port. The irony of it is that there are only two ships in St Thomas when we are there......no biggie as I prefer to be on the water than shopping anyway.

You will have the time of your life with Kathleen. I have taken 13 cruises & her daysail was by far the most memorable of any & all excursions we've ever done. The lunch she prepares is awesome. I even e-mailed her when I got home & she e-mailed me the recipe. It may be chicken but it was the best chicken dish I have ever had. Hope you enjoy. Please tell her Tracey from SC with all the cats says hello. She too has a cat named Cranberry.

Have you done any other day sails from St Thomas that you can compare Kathleen and High Pockets with?

Only the cruise sponsered one's. They are crowded & I was just miserable. I wanted to try one that was more intimate. I had looked at Kathleen & Bobby (Rumbaba). At first I really wanted Bobby because the menu sounded so awesome but we had 4 & they only had room our day for two. I was really hesitate with Kathleen because the menu only had the marinated chicken with linguini. I thought "how good can that be". It was actually the best meal I had all week except for the Filet at The Sterling Steakhouse on Princess. I really went on this day sail very skeptical. I am so glad I got Kathleen. A few weeks after our trip we had friends that were cruising there as well. It was my friends birthday while in St. Thomas. I e-mailed Kathleen to try to arrange to have her favorite vodka there & a candle for the rum cake. Kathleen agreed to my requests & even had some birthday decorations up. I was just really impressed with her personal touch at helping me surprise my friend.

The entire day I felt very pampered at a reasonable price!!!!

You will have the time of your life with Kathleen. I have taken 13 cruises & her daysail was by far the most memorable of any & all excursions we've ever done. The lunch she prepares is awesome. I even e-mailed her when I got home & she e-mailed me the recipe. It may be chicken but it was the best chicken dish I have ever had. Hope you enjoy. Please tell her Tracey from SC with all the cats says hello. She too has a cat named Cranberry.

Gracie65,

How much was the daysail with Kathleen? We have a group of 6. I just emailed her but I thought maybe I might get an idea of what it cost when you went. Thanks for the great review. It makes me want to be there now!

Gracie65,

How much was the daysail with Kathleen? We have a group of 6. I just emailed her but I thought maybe I might get an idea of what it cost when you went. Thanks for the great review. It makes me want to be there now!

I'm pretty sure it's $125.00 cash or $135.00 cc per person.

If you don't get a e-mail from her today I would call her. I sent her an e-mail last night just to say hello & haven't heard back yet. She alway's responds fast. Just in case of any internet problems etc. she could be having. You leave real soon so have fun!!!! I wish my next one was the Eastern Caribbean so I could go back.

• 2 weeks later...
Gracie,

I did receive an email today from Kathleen. You are right about the rates. Sounds like an incredible day! They are available for the day we are there so we are seriously considering going with them. Thanks.

My computer has been down a few days. I see you boarded today. Hope you had a great cruise & you got to do the daysail with Kathleen.

Just returned from our Caribbean Princess Cruise, how I wish I was back at sea today. Anyway, we choose Rumbaba Day Sail while in St. Thomas initially due to the menu. If you do a search on this board, you will see that Rumaba's menu out shines chicken and rice or even pasta by a long shot! I received a personal call from Captain Bob to complete our reservation, which was a nice touch. When ever I had a question I always received a speedy email response. Trust me, I had some questions.

So off we go to St. Thomas, the taxi ride was open aired theme park ride across the mountain (serisouly)to the American Yacht Harbor, hubby paid them, so I can't quote you a price. Although I will say this, it was cheaper than Disney so it was well worth it!! We were a few minutes early so Captain Bob had not arrived yet, hubby and I walked the docks, dreaming and wishing. We were only 1 couple and there were 2 other couples going to be on board, we had decided to see what the luck of the draw provided us instead of solicitiing others from our cruise. We met a wonderful couple from Virginia that had sailed with Bob and Karen multiple times, they were staying on the island; another couple from Carnivals Liberty which was their very first sailing trip. Bob arrived and what a wonderful person! Out to the boat we went. We all introduced ourselves, met Karen, stowed our back packs beneth and were ready for a wonderful day. The luck of the draw provided us with a great group before we even left the marina.

I do not profess to know the first thing about sailing, all I can say is that it as such a smooth ride.

Bob pointed out so very much as we sailed by I can't even begin to tell you everything we saw. You will just have to let it all speak for itself.

We anchored in a lovely area, with a fellow competitor on each side of us. Now, this is where I do see issues, with them of course. The one competitor lined their paying customers up and spoke with them for what seemed a solid 30 minutes before they were able to get in the water for snorkling. Come on now, aren't we all adults? The other comptetor issued their customers what I would consider outdated life vests. They looked like what I use in my profession as head blocks.

Bob and Karen offered the appropriate snorkeling vests. Their equipment that they offered to those who did not bring their own was clean, and in excellent condition, they even had anti fog for your mask. That is a first that I have ever seen offered. The water was wonderful so off I went. Too cool for hubby so he stayed on board with Bob and Karen and some cold beers. The snorkeling in this area was good, it is a young reef though. I watched as one of the competitiors customers kicked over a huge purple sea fan with their fin. Obviously the lecture did not work. I did manage to get some good picutres in this area.

Back to the boat I went. It is easy to keep in sight too, just look for the pirate flags. LOL Of course there was Rum waiting for me when I got back. I was helped back on board and I was able to rinse of with a warm shower, rinse my gear and get ready for a drink. And trust me, Karen bless her heart, keep them drinks coming until you said no more too!

Food, now we are getting serious,,,,, a wonderful appetizer tray of homemade corn chips, flat bread chips, celery, carrots and a delicious papaya dip and Grilled Shrimp! This was just to tempt your senses and wake them up. Another Rum Runner too!

Lunch,,,,, My choice was the Tuna,,,,, Grilled to my specifications, gotta love a man who can grill, not to mention a man who can grill in the middle of the ocean. Come on!!!! Grilled Tuna Steak, grilled to perfection, with a seseme sauce on the side, side salad and asparagus. I, at that moment, had to be pinched. Did I mention that it was our 15 anniversay???? What a way to go. Another Rum Runner was now on it's way to me. Hubby that the Filet, more perfection.

The day was progerssing so nicely. We were all just chatting, finding little things in common. Bob and Karen had such nice stories to share.

After lunch, we of course refilled our drinks,,,, Rum Runners,,,, by now I should not be able to type anymore. Hahahhaha

He gave us the choice of more sailing, more snorkeling, or beach. We all choose a slow leisurely sail back and that is exacly what we did. Slow sail back, past the hanging tree, past Micheal Jordans cliff home,right back where we started from.

WHAT A DAY!!!!

I will say this, I am a nurse, I work hard for my money, I want service, excellence and memories on my vacations. With Bob and Karen, this is exaclty what I received. I will be going back again every chance I get.

I hold my cup up to the Hindu God of Irresponsiblity!!!!

Cheers!!!

We really want to do this day sail, but we are just a couple and need another couple or 3 or 4 people to join us, as they have a minimum of 4 passengers to sail. Anyone interested in joining us on AUGUST 2ND 2008? :D

Highpockets without a doubt! We had a wonderful time on our daysail in May and would love to go back and do it again. The food and drinks were the best we had the entire trip and Kathleen and Jim treated us like family.

We sailed with Kathleen on March 30 and it was the high light of our cruise. She was very professional and answered all e-mail very quickly. Food, drinks and snorkeling were great. We will book with her again on our next cruise. I think a "family tradition" has started!

I've been looking for a sail that can hold 9 of us.

Most hold up to 6.

Nightwind holds up to 18 (I believe) -- but are not available on our day.

Heavenly Days (catamaran) holds a bunch and does a full day.

Castaway Girl (catamaran) (Cruiseline exclusive) holds a bunch for 1/2 day only.

Any other ideas for 7+ passengers? Thanks.

Has anyone went on a Day Sail? I am thinking of going on one, and was wondering which one to book. Any thoughts or info would be great!

I'm looking at some of these::confused:

Treazzure Day Sailing

Jester day Sails

Fantasy

Thanks

There is information on lots of different day sails going out of St Thomas on the website.

http://www.**********/stthomas/SandL/charters.php#Jolly%20Mon%20Iguana%20Sailing%20Charters

Hope this helps :)

Try typing ********** instead of the ***s

v i n o w . c o m

We're back from our cruise aboard the AOS. Our day sail in St. Thomas was excellent!! We sailed with Rumbaba about 2 wks. ago. The best meal we had the whole trip. Snorkeling was great, water was calm. There were 6 in our group and it was perfect. The grilled filet mignon, mahi mahi & ahi tuna were excellent. I tasted them all!! Cooked to perfection. I wish I had Bob grilling for me at home. If we make it back to St. Thomas I wouldn't hesitate to spend the day with them again.

We sailed Highpockets about 3 yrs. ago, which was good also. Kathleen's service and food were good as well. I would have to rate the food on Rumbaba better though. Although Kathleen is very nice & knowledgeable, we just felt more comfortable aboard Rumbaba. Our group likes to partake in the rum, beer, etc. Kathleen's rum swizzles were good, but a bit more relaxed atmosphere on Rumbaba.

I don't think you could go wrong with either of these day sails.

Have fun!

We're back from our cruise aboard the AOS. Our day sail in St. Thomas was excellent!! We sailed with Rumbaba about 2 wks. ago. The best meal we had the whole trip. Snorkeling was great, water was calm. There were 6 in our group and it was perfect. The grilled filet mignon, mahi mahi & ahi tuna were excellent. I tasted them all!! Cooked to perfection. I wish I had Bob grilling for me at home. If we make it back to St. Thomas I wouldn't hesitate to spend the day with them again.

Out of curiosity, what does it cost per person for the day sail?

Archived