Malta on December 25

Our MSC cruise stops at Valletta on Dec 25, 2018. I was originally planning on no excursion in Malta, just have a low key day exploring Valletta on our own. However, I now realize we will be there on Christmas. I was wondering if anyone has an idea if any businesses would be open on Christmas in Valletta. The ship has an excursion to Mdina but maybe that will be closed as well. Just looking for some advice on how to spend the day. thanks.

From the Malta website http://www.visitmalta.com/en/christmas it sounds like you will be able to visit restaurants churches......

Christmas is a highly celebrated festivity in Malta and Gozo, both for its religious significance as well as in its more social aspect. The season is celebrated to its fullest on the Maltese Islands, with the active participation of many; Nativity scenes, displays of cribs, carol services and other events are organised in each locality.

file.aspx?f=13434For a very special, spiritual evening, join the congregation at St. John's Co-Cathedral in Valletta for candlelit carol singing. Other Baroque parish churches across the Islands are just as awe-inspiring during advent. Their interiors are decked out in papal crimson and altars are adorned with flowers. All churches have a calendar of events, ranging from the procession of Mary and Joseph, to streets with groups of children carol singing.

Cribs are positively everywhere, from private houses to small chapels. Visiting cribs is a popular activity at Christmastime and many locals spend time going round touring the various ‘presepju' displays. Some are very artistic and elaborate, with figures moving around mechanically and a degree of detail that comes from hours of meticulous work by dedicated craftsmen.

A Christmas highlight, which is popular for children and adults alike, is the annual pantomime held at the Manoel Theatre. It's a happy mix of good slapstick humour for children and satire for adults.

Restaurants, hotels, bars and clubs all have their own entertainment, making for an abundant choice of what to do and see.

I would imagine that some bars and restaurants will be open for family lunches, but many people will be at home. Like many European places there are lots of Christmas celebrations, but many have finished or will not operate on Christmas Day.

It's a fairly popular winter holiday destination, even in winter, so there may be some life in the more touristy areas. It may be worthwhile to contact the Malta Tourist Board and ask.

Sent from my iPad using Forums