What broadway play?

George C

FYI, The New York Times just published a cute little guide to Broadway (What to see, where to get tickets, where to eat...) https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/theater/broadway-shows-tickets.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Ftheater

- Mark

That is kind of cute. Also laughing and a little surprised at what we have seen on that list...

Phantom (national show)

Book of Mormon (Kennedy Center)

Wicked (Broadway)

Lion King (Kennedy Center)

Come from Away (Sunday! on Broadway)

Springsteen on Broadway (Last November)

Hamilton (Next April!)

We do want to see Harry Potter. Have to try sometime down the road.

Several in the Times list just don't have my attention at all (Frozen...)

It is nice to see things like Come from Away, Hamilton, Waitress, and the like that aren't recycled movies turned into Broadway plays...

AND, we'll be in London for three nights in June. May have to check out the West End just because!

markeb,

Even as a dedicated Broadway fan, who tries to visit annually to catch what's new, that's a big part of the equation. Not only, what have we already seen, even if on tour? (I despair of ever seeing the interior of the Majestic, home to Phantom) But also - how likely is a show to travel to my home town, and how similar with it be when it gets here?

Some shows, like "The Book of Mormon" doesn't depend upon stars or a complicated set, so the tour is more-or-less equivalent to the NY production. Others, like the current revival of "Three Tall Woman" will not tour and local productions are unable to match the experience of watching Glenda Jackson and Laurie Metcalf in a production directed by Joe Mantello. FYI - Frozen just announced they'll launch a tour in 2019.

I just saw a wonderful production of The Color Purple tour, with much of the NY cast, in San Francisco, last week.

....by the way, London is REALLY home to transfers of musicals that have already played in NY.

- Mark

When we saw Book of Mormon at the Kennedy Center in DC, the reviews actually raved that the actor playing Arnold (Elder Cunningham) was a better Arnold than the current lead on Broadway. Sometimes you get some amazing productions out of New York (DC is a pretty big market as well).

One of these days I'll have to go through the list of what we have seen! I think most were national touring companies, but we enjoyed them.

Just picked up two tickets third row of the mezzanine for the Sunday matinee of Come from Away! Not TKTS pricing, but I've REALLY wanted to see this one for awhile!

It's fantastic. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

....by the way, London is REALLY home to transfers of musicals that have already played in NY.

Agreed! We'll be seeing Hamilton in London later this year and really looking forward not only to seeing this show, but seeing it there. Something exciting about seeing this particular show in London.

Of course, the opposite in terms of transfers is also true. Some major hits (as I'm sure you know) got their start in London, including Phantom, Cats, Les Miz (the English version), and Miss Saigon.

Of course, the opposite in terms of transfers is also true. Some major hits (as I'm sure you know) got their start in London, including Phantom, Cats, Les Miz (the English version), and Miss Saigon.

Yeah. I really hadn't been paying attention since the 90s (when the aforementioned shows were hot transfers from London), so when I started looking for shows before a visit a couple of years ago, I was really surprised.

(Of course my complaints conveniently ignore the current amazing Angels in America revival and Harry Potter are London transfers, and I'm hoping for the Amber Riley Dreamgirls or Bryan Cranston in Network to come to NY too ...and Follies)

- Mark

Just back from a Come from Away. Oh my...

This one lives up to the old “you’ll laugh, you’ll cry” cliche. I expected the tears, but not the laughter. Possibly the most original thing I’ve seen on Broadway in years. Highly recommended!

What he said ^^

We saw this on Saturday at the matinee. Amazing. I cried 3 times, did not expect that to happen.

Was the best show of the weekend, and we also saw Hamilton (not our first time), Three Tall Women, and Once on This Island. Saw them in that order and liked 'em in that order. The set for OoTI is amazing, but the story is thin.

And we saw Deadpool 2 since it was too damp/cool Sunday morning to go to Coney Island. That was good, too! ;)

Just back from a Come from Away. Oh my...

This one lives up to the old “you’ll laugh, you’ll cry” cliche. I expected the tears, but not the laughter. Possibly the most original thing I’ve seen on Broadway in years. Highly recommended!

We got really lucky saw it last Saturday in the afternoon , got half price tkts on seats were in 7th and 8th row not together but behind each other , by far best of the 4 show we saw , will post later on other 3 , just got home 5 days in nyc and 4 around buffalo.

What he said ^^

We saw this on Saturday at the matinee. Amazing. I cried 3 times, did not expect that to happen.

Was the best show of the weekend, and we also saw Hamilton (not our first time), Three Tall Women, and Once on This Island. Saw them in that order and liked 'em in that order. The set for OoTI is amazing, but the story is thin.

And we saw Deadpool 2 since it was too damp/cool Sunday morning to go to Coney Island. That was good, too! ;)

Looks like we were at same exact show, we went to buffalo a few days later which has hundreds of Tim hortons , we had great half price tkts to 3 shows , all in First 10 rows or closer , Friday afternoon went to tkts booth in Lincoln canter bought hello dolly tickets for that night and come from away tickets for Saturday then on Saturday bought margheritaville for that night that is a fun show for buffet fans. We had pre bought tickets for Wicked and saw that last Friday, have not been to Coney Island in last 35 or so years.

My Fair Lady was awesome. My opinion is it’s going to win a bunch of Tony Awards. We loved the seating — not a bad seat in the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

View is great from all seats, legroom is terrible in at least some seats , left South Pacific at intermission a couple of years ago , but. I Am 6’ 4”, would really loved to have seen show, how was Diana Riggs ?

View is great from all seats, legroom is terrible in at least some seats , left South Pacific at intermission a couple of years ago , but. I Am 6’ 4”, would really loved to have seen show, how was Diana Riggs ?

Diana Riggs was terrific. She plays the mother.

One great advantage of London vs New York for shows is that there's an excellent resource on theatremonkey.com that gives the lowdown on seating comfort for all the West End houses, but no such thing exists for Broadway. Dammit.

- Mark

One great advantage of London vs New York for shows is that there's an excellent resource on theatremonkey.com that gives the lowdown on seating comfort for all the West End houses, but no such thing exists for Broadway. Dammit.

- Mark

In this particular theater there is no bad seat in the house. It’s stadium seating. Even though the theater is huge, it feels intimate.

- Mark

Yep, we used a sort of "seatguru" site for London theatres (called Seat Plan) to check out the Victoria Palace Theatre before we purchased our Hamilton tickets. Good thing we did, because we learned not only that the stage is raised, which patrons said could make it difficult for shorter folks to see well from some of the orchestra seats (the stalls as they say in the UK), but also that some of the otherwise great seats we might have chosen had pretty much no leg room. And the site also offers photos of the stage taken by patrons from specific seats, so you could see the view from those seats. We'll know once we get there and see our actual seats, but the site seems incredibly helpful.

In this particular theater there is no bad seat in the house. It’s stadium seating. Even though the theater is huge, it feels intimate.

I'm looking forward to seeing My Fair Lady on our visit in September, and I'll never forget the thrill of having the ship loom over us in the opening to The King and I, a couple of years ago. While most seats are great, I must offer a few cautions on seating at the Beaumont.

The stage is a thrust stage with a shallower proscenium behind. As a result, unless (theoretically) blocked by a set piece, the action on the thrust can be clearly seen from all the seats. However, along the extreme sides (100 section, seats 110+ and 500 section, 510+) the view can be skewed and visibility behind the proscenium can be limited. Also, some seats are literally wedged into the space and leg room can be tight in many seats, so if that's an issue, I'd go for an aisle.

- Mark

Apropos to the subject of legroom and the physical theaters. Today NYMag/Vulture just published a rating of the 41 theaters. I'm just now working my way through it but literally laughed out loud from this entry on #41, the newly-remodeled Helen Hayes Theater,

"
The seats are so close to each other that the aftershocks of you uncrossing your legs will reverberate throughout your entire row."

http://www.vulture.com/2018/06/nycs-41-broadway-theaters-ranked.html

- Mark

Edited by MarkBearSF

Don’t forget that Sunday June 10 on CBS are the Tony awards. They’ll be showing scenes from several nominated shows plus Dear Evan Hansen. Double plus Springsteen will be performing. No matter how good it is on tv, live theater is always the best.

Next time you return to New York you must get tickets to see Dear Evan Hansen. We just saw about a month ago and absolutely adored it.

The music is really phenomenal, tremendously moving and powerful. Definitely in my top 5 all-time shows. Don't miss it.

Jonathan

Next time you return to New York you must get tickets to see Dear Evan Hansen. We just saw about a month ago and absolutely adored it.

The music is really phenomenal, tremendously moving and powerful. Definitely in my top 5 all-time shows. Don't miss it.

Jonathan

Agreed. The only problem is the tix are very difficult to come by. My dd purchased from reseller when of course you pay much more than list price. So if you know you are visiting months from now see if you can get tix now.

Agreed. The only problem is the tix are very difficult to come by. My dd purchased from reseller when of course you pay much more than list price. So if you know you are visiting months from now see if you can get tix now.

Yes, DEH is a hot ticket and they are pricey. The OP had mentioned seeing Hamilton, so if you're prepared to spend a few bucks DEH is one that will stay with a long while.

Jonathan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app