What broadway play?

George C

We've seen Come From Away and Dear Evan Hansen and thought they were both terrific.  I think Evan Hansen won due to it's greater popularity amongst young people, who Broadway is trying to attract.  The prior year's award was also won by an historical musical (about some guy who wasn't even President!), so maybe it was time for Fiction to win?  And then non-fiction won again the following year (Band's Visit)

Spamilton is really fun, we've seen all of the Forbidden Broadway productions.

We've got Hamilton again in NYC over Labor Day (bought the tix in December) and are seeing it in Providence a few weeks earlier for much cheaper.  Will be interesting to compare/contrast the casts

• Like 1

We saw beautiful for third time yesterday, first two times on broadway, this was at a great theater downtown Dallas, had interesting seats first row , so if we looked down could see orchestra pit. Show was just as good as broadway, except the one righteous song was slightly off. Just got credit card statements from our nyc trip 😂😂.

• Like 1

That will be great!  Well, I hope. Films of shows that replace the Broadway actors with "name" actors don't always turn out as well as one would hope. Will keep fingers crossed.

Netflix is also filming "The Boys in the Band" with the Broadway cast that was in the recent show (revival) including Jim Parsons and Andrew Rannells (he will be in "The Prom", too, good year for Andrew).

• Like 1

Nitemare, I think you are right about them wanting to attract a younger crowd.  I think there is always something for everyone on Broadway. Lion King to King Lear! But maybe for the folks that don't get to shows much, the Tonys can influence them.

We saw The Band's Visit in January. It was such a good show. It deserved all the 10 Tony's it won. A lovely show.  I still think about scenes from it. It is a "quiet" show, but it stayed with us.

We also saw The Cher Show. DH is a big Cher fan. It seems like it would have a  limited appeal though. Kind of like Ain't Too Proud, (which we really liked) with better costumes. We enjoyed it, and especially thought Stephanie J. Block did a fantastic job. It made us a bit nervous to see it on TKTS right way though.

33 minutes ago, sparkle said:

Netflix is also filming "The Boys in the Band" with the Broadway cast that was in the recent show (revival) including Jim Parsons and Andrew Rannells (he will be in "The Prom", too, good year for Andrew).

That was an extraordinary cast.  I did not get to see this revival, but it's hard to imagine the play did not feel dated.  It will be interesting to see the film version (for the cast if nothing else).

And in terms of Rannells's good year -- don't forget, his new book has just been released.  :classic_smile:

On 6/24/2019 at 6:41 AM, Nitemare said:

We've got Hamilton again in NYC over Labor Day (bought the tix in December) and are seeing it in Providence a few weeks earlier for much cheaper.  Will be interesting to compare/contrast the casts

I hope that Edred Utomi is still playing Hamilton when you see the show in Providence, he's fantastic in the role. (He's been with the Angelica Tour, but I don't know if he's still there.)

I'm three shows into this year's lineup with four to go. All winners.

1. Tootsie.  What a great, funny show. Santino Fontana deserved his Tony for the title role. (As did the hilarious book). A catchy, brassy score by David Yazbek that is still stuck in my brain from two days ago. (Full Monty, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, The Band;s Visit)
  2. The Prom. Another really great, enjoyable show. Looking forward to the movie, but disappointed that it appears none of the cast will be in the film.
    ...Especially about that "Pander Bear," James Corden playing the very gay Barry role. While I don't necessarily believe that all gay roles should be played by gay actors, this character's backstory really calls for one, with songs like "Barry's Going to the Prom!"
    I cried a few tears of joy during the final scene.
  3. Oklahoma!  Boy, is this a different, violent, take on the classic. It was truly excellent and I'll never see the show the same way again. (Although nothing was changed in the script)

Coming up, Kiss Me Kate, Hadestown, Frankie & Johnny, Moulin Rouge.

...and Sparkle, I totally agree about The Band's Visit. As I had mentioned earlier, I'm an usher in SF. Our subscription shows run for four weeks, so when a one comes in, the music for it becomes part of my life for a month. (Even if we're stationed in the lobby, we still hear it). The good news is a few months ago, I booked a roundtrip crossing for May 2020 on the QM2, which will follow another week of shows. The bad news is that those are three out of the four weeks that TBV will be at my theatre. I was SO looking forward to that wonderfuly atmospheric score being background music for a month. (First world problems, I know!)

Edited by MarkBearSF
  • Like 2

Oh My Gods! (...and Fates and Muses) I just saw Hadestown.

What a magnificent show this is! The staging and pictures that Rachel Chavkin composed on the stage were astonishing, haunting, and a demonstration of what magic can be done on stage. I was weeping. As the intro song goes, "It’s an old song. It’s an old tale from way back when" but I was transfixed. I would put the total experience up with Hamilton and Come From Away.

GeorgeC - We had PERFECT seats. You will be comfortable IF you sit in the sides of the aisle in rows K-P. As you may deduce somewhat from the seating plan, the aisle curves along the contour of the center section, and in those seats on the side (K1-P1 and K2-P2) you will have a half-seat of free aisle space in front of you. I sat in L1 with room to stretch - and the row in front also had room (Now you have no excuse)
FINAL.jpg
We also saw Kiss Me Kate. A wonderful revival. In contrast to Oklahoma! the previous night, which was a stripped-down, radical revival, this one was updated for 2019 (they both kick each other in the butt in a fight scene instead of him spanking her) BUT was a glorious, full-blown revival with stunning dancing, singing (Kelli O'Hara!) and a huge amount of fun. (It closes soon, but if you can make it, it's worthwhile).  Warning for those needing legroom - Never sit upstairs at Studio 54. BUT... I sat in A101 and it was the second row, but there was no seat in front of me (front row is AA) I assume the same is true for house left on the same row)

Edited by MarkBearSF
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, George C said:

Glad you had a great time , I know about studio 54 , would have had to walk out but chair next to me was empty, play was good Jim Parson playing God. 

14 hours ago, George C said:

Glad you had a great time , I know about studio 54 , would have had to walk out but chair next to me was empty, play was good Jim Parson playing God. 

• 2 weeks later...

Final report.
- Hadestown. The best!  An astonishing work. The music was so unique and perfect. (It's the story of Orpheus and Eurydice with the backstory of Hades & Persephone, told from a 30s-ish New Orleans blues joint) The staging and pictures that Rachel Chavkin composes on stage are breathtaking and the performances by the "adults" Andre deShields (Tony Winner) as Hermes, Patrick Page as Hades, Amber Grey as Persephone are excellent.

- Frankie and Johnny and the Clair de Lune. Excellent performances (Audra McDonald - duh!) in a classic play. Sales never caught fire and it's closing early despite great reviews and word-of-mouth.

- Moulin Rouge. Over the top. A spectacular spectacular from the moment you arrive in the velvet-covered theatre. The plot is perhaps a bit simpler than the movie, but still paper thin. There's not a lot of chemistry between the two leads, but it ulitmately doesn't make a lot of difference. (Aaron Tveit has a beautiful voice) Danny Burstein is having the time of his life playing the cabaret owner and is marvelous. The music is the same type of mash-up as in the movie and some of the key tunes are retained (Lady Marmalade, Roxanne, Your Song) and lots of new ones are added. The flash will make a lot of fans, but may alienate others.
WARNING - the sets and staging make a LOT of seats limited and obstructed view. Pay close attention to the seating charts when buying tickets for this one.

• Like 2

Appreciate the reviews.  We are so looking forward to Hadestown.  Didn't see Frankie and Johnny as we saw the last version (it was great and SO hot).  We love Audra but have seen her a few times already.  And Moulin sounds like it hasn't changed since we saw it in Boston.  A real Three Ring Circus

4 hours ago, George C said:

Just read they are bringing back West side story, previews starting December opening in February, would like to see that.

And Spielberg’s remake of the film version also opens in December. What a great time for fans of this legendary show. 

7 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

We are going to see The Prom this Wednesday. It is not something that I desired to see but Hillary and Clinton closed and this was a substitute by our Theater Club. It was either go to the Prom or get a credit toward a future show,

We thought Prom was very entertaining, let us know what you think . I really had no idea what play was about until we saw it but glad we went. 

On 6/12/2019 at 2:39 PM, lenquixote66 said:

I am 6' 5  and there are many theaters without sufficient leg room.I try and get an aisle seat for this reason.

We decided to see Beetlejuice at the Winter Garden and we saw online that the front row of the mezzanine has excellent leg room. I am hoping my husband will be comfortable. He's only 6' but is often cramped on leg room in older theatres.

15 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

We decided to see Beetlejuice at the Winter Garden and we saw online that the front row of the mezzanine has excellent leg room. I am hoping my husband will be comfortable. He's only 6' but is often cramped on leg room in older theatres.

I can only sit in the orchestra due to Vertigo. 

On 6/25/2019 at 7:31 PM, Turtles06 said:

And in terms of Rannells's good year -- don't forget, his new book has just been released.  :classic_smile:

Yes, I can't wait until our library has the audiobook  of   "Too Much is Not Enough" in.  We are over the road truck drivers and audiobooks are great!

Mark, when I retire I definitely want to usher!  Our local theater (GEVA, in Rochester) tries to keep the last row open for the ushers to watch the show, if possible. But like you said, you always get to hear them.  When I lived in the L.A. area in the 80's I volunteered at the Hollywood Bowl and got to hear some great concerts that way. 

Has anyone ever been on a Playbill cruise?  They sound wonderful but they aren't anywhere near our budget for the foreseeable future.   Audra McDonald will be headlining  Broadway on the Mediterranean August 2020.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sparkle said:

Has anyone ever been on a Playbill cruise?  They sound wonderful but they aren't anywhere near our budget for the foreseeable future.   Audra McDonald will be headlining  Broadway on the Mediterranean August 2020.  

Too pricey for me. We separate the Broadway week from the cruise. For the past four years, we've done a week of shows, followed by a trip on the QM2 (usually back and forth across the North Atlantic to Southampton, this year was a 1 week cruise to Halifax and overnight in Boston on July 4.) This is still cheaper than the Broadway cruises.