What broadway play?

George C

On 7/12/2019 at 8:07 PM, George C said:

We thought Prom was very entertaining, let us know what you think . I really had no idea what play was about until we saw it but glad we went. 

My friends had to talk me in to seeing The Prom. We saw it today,It was great. I am so happy that I went to see it.

Next play for us is the one about The Temtations. We bought tickets for Tina ,next year and plan to see Moulin Rouge and Westside Story.

We are going to see To Kill A Mockingbird in September.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

My friends had to talk me in to seeing The Prom. We saw it today,It was great. I am so happy that I went to see it.

Next play for us is the one about The Temtations. We bought tickets for Tina ,next year and plan to see Moulin Rouge and Westside Story.

We are going to see To Kill A Mockingbird in September.

I thought you would like it, very funny play with a very good cast. Unfortunately will not see another play in nyc till our trip next year , luckily will see some good touring shows in between. 

10 hours ago, George C said:

I thought you would like it, very funny play with a very good cast. Unfortunately will not see another play in nyc till our trip next year , luckily will see some good touring shows in between. 

There were 4 substitutes in the show yesterday.The lead actors were there though.

1 hour ago, Nitemare said:

Is it really is a three ring circus (remember those?)!

I don't remember if they had 3 rings (I am thinking one), but the movie the Greatest Showman with Hugh Jackson was quite entertaining. LOVED the music, still wearing out the cast CD!

Lenquixote, I hope you enjoy Ain't Too Proud. If you grew up with their music like we did, I think you will. Also Otis Williams, (played by Derrick Baskin in the show) the last original surviving Temptation wrote a book about the Band awhile back. Not sure if it's still available.

I would be interested to hear how the Tina Turner show is. Might put that on the list for next year.

6 hours ago, sparkle said:

I don't remember if they had 3 rings (I am thinking one), but the movie the Greatest Showman with Hugh Jackson was quite entertaining. LOVED the music, still wearing out the cast CD!

Lenquixote, I hope you enjoy Ain't Too Proud. If you grew up with their music like we did, I think you will. Also Otis Williams, (played by Derrick Baskin in the show) the last original surviving Temptation wrote a book about the Band awhile back. Not sure if it's still available.

I would be interested to hear how the Tina Turner show is. Might put that on the list for next year.

Not exactly grow up but I did like their sound . Since you are from Rochester ,something interesting that I ask everyone I meet to is from there.

I had a friend who grew up in NYC,married a woman from Rochester but the winters were too cold for him. They relocated to Hawaii and opened an ice cream parlor.His wife missed Rochester and they moved back and opened an ice cream parlor there.

On a cruise in 2017 I met a Fireman from the Rochester area and he knew the story.

Well I have not heard that story, but I can certainly relate to the winters being too cold! And the moving to Hawaii! I wonder if they opened a "shave ice" ice cream store in Rochester...hmmm...

We usually go home for the holidays but then not again until mid April for taxes. We go to LA and take cruises and/or fly over to Hawaii for a few weeks in Feb/March. We also ask our dispatcher for as many loads to FL as possible.😎

I'm waiting for someone to tell us how great Beetlejuice will be.  The NY Times reviewer  didn't like its "absolutely exhausting", loud, relentless pace, but still stopped short of calling it bad. 

He seemed to grudgingly appreciate that if they are going for high energy, they do it well, and praises many individual talents, but it was all clearly too much for him personally. 

We are short attention span types so it's probably perfect for us, not to mention that we have a teen going through that sort of Lydia-phase, who chose this play. 

I assume the lack of comment from the peanut gallery is a bad sign, but hey, at least we'll have the best leg room on Broadway.

Don’t listen to NYTS reviewer. I haven’t seen Beetlejuice yet but my experience is if you loved the movie you’ll love the show. If you despised the movie you’re gonna despise the show. 🤣🤣🤣 Beetlejuice Beetlejuice Beetlejuice 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/20/2019 at 11:32 AM, George C said:

Anybody going to see beautiful before it closes on 10/27, great play saw it 3 times.

The only play that I saw numerous times was The Fantasticks.I saw it in NY in the 60’s,in San Francisco in the 70’s and again in NY in 2007.

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

The only play that I saw numerous times was The Fantasticks.I saw it in NY in the 60’s,in San Francisco in the 70’s and again in NY in 2007.

I saw that decades apart both in original theater in the village , might have seen it three times . Love that area , love restaurant Montes great Italian food a couple of blocks away 

5 minutes ago, George C said:

I saw that decades apart both in original theater in the village , might have seen it three times . Love that area , love restaurant Montes great Italian food a couple of blocks away 

My favorite Italian restaurant in that area is Volare.It has been around forever or so it seems..

12 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

My favorite Italian restaurant in that area is Volare.It has been around forever or so it seems..

Montes been there a hundred years but Volare also sounds great , we eat lots of Italian on all visits , but normally do Becco twice on all visits on restaurant row. 

22 minutes ago, George C said:

Montes been there a hundred years but Volare also sounds great , we eat lots of Italian on all visits , but normally do Becco twice on all visits on restaurant row. 

My favorite Italian restaurant in Manhattan is Rao’s.In my opinion everyone should go there at least once.It is an experience that you will remember forever.

It's not gonna be anywhere near the theaters, but we gotta get some of those Japanese souffle pancakes. Taiyaki in Chinatown was written up in Delish this spring but it looks like a couple spots in the East  Village have them as well.  We'll have a full day to wander around the city and other than the show we don't have much of an agenda. 

On 7/21/2019 at 9:00 PM, George C said:

Yesterday my wife and I went on a 6 hour bus and walking tour of various areas in Brooklyn .It was a fantastic tour with an exceptionally great tour guide.If you are in NYC sometime and have free time other than going to the theater you might enjoy doing a tour with this company.If interested,let me know and I will post the name of the tour company and the guide we used.

Lenny

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Yesterday my wife and I went on a 6 hour bus and walking tour of various areas in Brooklyn .It was a fantastic tour with an exceptionally great tour guide.If you are in NYC sometime and have free time other than going to the theater you might enjoy doing a tour with this company.If interested,let me know and I will post the name of the tour company and the guide we used.

Lenny

Thanks but I do not think I want a 6 hour tour, what neighborhoods did you hit. I want to show my wife Carrol Gardens where I lived and also Brooklyn heights area I worked in IT for A & S which is in that area. 

2 hours ago, George C said:

Thanks but I do not think I want a 6 hour tour, what neighborhoods did you hit. I want to show my wife Carrol Gardens where I lived and also Brooklyn heights area I worked in IT for A & S which is in that area. 

2 hours ago, George C said:

We were in Red Hook and Sunset Park and made stops at the Brooklyn Navy Yard,Brooklyn Army Terminal,a park under the Brooklyn Bridge,lunch at an Italian restaurant owned by an actor who was in Boardwalk Empire.Then we were in Park Slope,Prospect Heights and Crown Heights.

• Like 1

Lenny , one of my buddies had a rent controlled 5 room apartment in park slope for about two hundred a month and walked away , wasn’t my brightest friend . So many great little Italian restaurants in Brooklyn. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, George C said:

Lenny , one of my buddies had a rent controlled 5 room apartment in park slope for about two hundred a month and walked away , wasn’t my brightest friend . So many great little Italian restaurants in Brooklyn. 

I had a friend who lived in Brooklyn .His family (before he was born ) opened an Italian restaurant in Brooklyn in 1936.It is still open .

When my wife and I lived in Brooklyn and went to the restaurant we had our own personal Waiter.We loved going there.

• 2 weeks later...