What broadway play?

George C

re Harry Potter tickets...

If you're keeping things open until the last minute and you're interested in the play(s), keep checking. They have been releasing small blocks of tickets and also reposting returns (yes, there are some) For other shows, I'm usually able to get online within a minute or two after ticket availability begins and can usually get tix for what we want to see, but this one was different. Registering, waiting for the big releases and then being randomized before being chosen (which I repeatedly was not).

Finally, last week they released some more seats and we got a couple of great ones for September at a reasonable price. (Not cheap, but not Hamilton - $199)

So persistent checking can pay off.

- Mark

I guess this is another one to monitor. I'll try the "Friday Forty" lottery for the next weekend we're in town. Do I gamble Potter and Hamilton for the same weekend???

I really can't complain; we DID get Springsteen on Broadway tickets last November, and we just got All-Star (game and home run derby) tickets here in DC, so we've been very lucky twice now. Come from Away really has my attention, so we'll see if we get an opportunity to see it down the road. We're probably going to have 2-3 nights in London in June; maybe we can get one of the shows in the West End...

We're probably going to have 2-3 nights in London in June; maybe we can get one of the shows in the West End...

You should check on "tickets" to Hamilton in London. Probably sold out this close, but since it's a paperless ticket system with rules that prevent scalping, people are allowed to and do return "tickets" to the theatre, so seats do open up. Also, at noon local time on Mondays, a limited number of "premium tickets" are released on line for all of the following week's performances. And maximum prices are far less than in NY (200 GBP on weekdays, 250 on weekends [starting Thurs. nights]).

https://hamiltonmusical.com/london/

We are seeing Hamilton in London this fall before a TA, and are of course hugely excited about it. A friend just saw it there and said the production is incredible, on par with NY.

FYI Turtles06 - On our crossing a year ago, we shared a table one breakfast with another couple (coincidentally, neither of us usually asks for a shared table) - and it turned out that they were among the "plane people." ...

- Mark

That is an amazing and beautiful story on every level. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

FYI, the Tony nominations were announced this morning.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/2018-Tony-Awards-Nominees-Complete-List-And-the-Nominees-Are-20180501

Highlights (Few surprises, by the way)

Best Musical

• The Band's Visit
  • Frozen
  • Mean Girls
  • SpongeBob SquarePants: The Musical

Nominations per show:

• Mean Girls - 12
  • SpongeBob SquarePants: The Musical - 12
  • Angels in America - 11
  • The Band's Visit - 11
  • Rodgers & Hammerstein's Carousel - 11
  • Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts One and Two - 10
  • My Fair Lady - 10
  • Eugene O'Neill's The Iceman Cometh - 8
  • Once On This Island - 8
  • Edward Albee's Three Tall Women - 6
  • Farinelli and The King - 5
  • Travesties - 4
  • Frozen - 3
  • Lobby Hero - 3
  • The Children - 2
  • Junk - 2
  • Summer: The Donna Summer Musical - 2
  • Children of a Lesser God - 1
  • Latin History for Morons - 1
  • Meteor Shower - 1
  • 1984 - 1
  • Saint Joan - 1

- Mark

I thought the Donna Summer one was not good? Yet it was nominated for two awards.

Sorry but I have no interest in seeing Square Pants or Frozen.

I am with you they may be good plays but we will not be seeing Square pants or Frozen

I thought the Donna Summer one was not good? Yet it was nominated for two awards. Sorry but I have no interest in seeing Square Pants or Frozen.

In Summer, acting nominations went to Broadway veteran LaChanze for Lead and Ariana DeBose for Featured Actress in a Musical. (In one of the slowest years in a long time). Great singing of great songs. But as for the whole megillah? Personally, I'd recommend a dozen shows before it.

But y'know? That's why I'm glad that there are so many shows to choose from. And like you, I have no desire to see Frozen. And that's OK. I think Disney will survive. (I never thought I'd see Spongebob, but after taking to friends and reading reports, I'm interested. I have one slot left and, depending on what's on stage in September, I might see it.)

- Mark

Edited by MarkBearSF

There is a great discount for the amazing production of Sweeney Todd which is playing off Broadway at the Barrow Street Theater. All non-premium seats are $50 for the month of May with the code FIVEHUNDRED.

We're seeing it again in a couple weeks. Seats are regularly $129, this is one of the best discounts I've ever seen and for a very good show

There is a great discount for the amazing production of Sweeney Todd which is playing off Broadway at the Barrow Street Theater. All non-premium seats are $50 for the month of May with the code FIVEHUNDRED.

We're seeing it again in a couple weeks. Seats are regularly $129, this is one of the best discounts I've ever seen and for a very good show

Agreed. (I was in Sweeny's "MOVE!" seat in the Pirelli scene) Good pies too - worth the extra charge. Glad to hear they're still doing well and getting good reports since Carolee Carmello finished her contract a few months ago. (Of the eight or so Lovetts I've seen in very big and very small productions, hers was the best.)

It's set in a recreation of an actual pie and eel shop in London, where this production was originally staged. It's a teeny-tiny house and they use the space beautifully. Especially if you're a fan of the show, it's an astonishing production.

Seating hint - (You really need to see the seating chart for this) I'm told that the second row upstairs has severely restricted views and should be avoided. The counter seats on the sides and the back of the main floor have great views and minimal interaction. The rest of the seats are sideways on either side of long tables perpendicular to the stage. Although action moves throughout the house, the main performance is on the stage next to and in front of the pie counter (from the audience's point of view, center to center-left)

- Mark

Edited by MarkBearSF

Love all this great info, hope we hit lottery so we can get springsteen tickets (but sure it is worth the money), I see once on his island is in the round? Just to change topic just heard B.B. King club on 42st street is closing this week.

We sat in that second row upstairs when we first saw it (the $$ savings was significant) and although it was slightly obstructed, we had no complaints. It's still worth it if you can't get this deal and don't want to pay more than double to sit downstairs.

I've heard nothing but raves for Bernadette in Dolly. We've seen her a number of times in concert and on stage (Follies, A Little Night Music) and she is always wonderful. We saw Dolly with Bette in that production and I couldn't stop smiling for hours afterward. ...And to be frank, with Santo Loquasto's technicolor take on the original costumes, I think any current show would literally pale in comparison in that regard. (well, perhaps not SpongeBob)

And glad that the second row upstairs seating for Sweeney was okay. When it opened, there were many complaints about having to stand in those seats to see. (Originally, they were the same price as the ones in the front row, I think - so that may have been a source of the complaints. Or they may just be whiners - there can be a lot of them on chat boards, as we all know.)

- Mark

I know when we were in NYC last year Dolly tickets for Bette were going for 500, now appears to be on half price tickets most days, this is on top of my list, 22 days to go.

I cannot recommend this show enough. It's a big, old-fashioned delight. If you're willing to accept a discount that's a little less than that offered at TKTS, there are discount codes you can use for advance purchases. One of my go-to discount sites (requires free registration) is Playbill Club. http://www.playbill.com/discount/playbill-discounts-for-hello-dolly

- Mark

Loving this thread . . . :D

Very interesting comments on the Barrow Street production of Sweeney (which I haven't seen). Sweeney may just be my all time favorite show. Back in early 1979 (when I was *very* young!), I had to be in NYC on a Wednesday morning, and I thought I would take advantage of the day by seeing a matinee before returning home. I asked a close friend who lived in the city and who also loves the theatre for a recommendation. He said he had just seen a new Sondheim show called Sweeney Todd in preview and that it was simply incredible and that I had to see it; he would not tell me more. It was easy to get a ticket for that afternoon. To say that I was blown away would be an understatement. I have not seen anything like that production, before or since. (Maybe the original Les Miz.)

Some months later, after the official opening, I saw Sweeney on Broadway again. I have seen a number of Sweeney productions since, and enjoyed them, but Angela Lansbury and Len Cariou, *and* the staging of the original Broadway production (the brilliance and impact of which I can't overemphasize), are etched in my memory as theatre at its very best.

Love all this great info, hope we hit lottery so we can get springsteen tickets (but sure it is worth the money), I see once on his island is in the round? Just to change topic just heard B.B. King club on 42st street is closing this week.

Yes after 18 years BB King Blues Club and Grill is closed, the final show was April 29th don't know if President Clinton performed.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8347122/bb-king-blues-club-nyc-closing-rent-times-square

There are Hamilton lottery every day. Some one has to win. My daughter and her husband got Springsteen tickets. They sighed up in Nov. Went 3 weeks ago. Loved it. Also enjoyed Lobby Hero.

We went to Green Roon at Yotel. Fun. Check out who will be there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...
Just entered Hamilton lottery for this Thursday, we fly out earlier that day, will report back about plays we had the chance to see, have Becco reservation twice best bargain in area .

We love Becco.

- Mark

We love Becco.

- Mark

On one of our last trips to Becco we had a young waitress , I complained that there was a problem , our wine bottle had evaporated , she thought I was serious for a few seconds love that 29 dollar wine list:D

Just entered Hamilton lottery for this Thursday, we fly out earlier that day, will report back about plays we had the chance to see, have Becco reservation twice best bargain in area .

Any luck?

Just picked up two tickets third row of the mezzanine for the Sunday matinee of Come from Away! Not TKTS pricing, but I've REALLY wanted to see this one for awhile!