What broadway play?

George C

Ford's Theater just announced a special, free concert performance of "Come From Away" at the Lincoln Memorial on Friday, September 10th, the eve of the 20th anniversary. We'll be thinking about it, depending on how nuts it looks like it'll be (National Mall events are by definition nuts). If it stays a more or less public event without Presidential and Prime Minister attendance, it could be a very nice outing. At some point, given timing, size, and potential attendees, it becomes a National Security Special Event, and nowhere near as much fun!

No word yet on any television coverage. It would be really nice if PBS could work out broadcast rights...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markeb said:

Ford's Theater just announced a special, free concert performance of "Come From Away" at the Lincoln Memorial on Friday, September 10th, the eve of the 20th anniversary. We'll be thinking about it, depending on how nuts it looks like it'll be (National Mall events are by definition nuts). If it stays a more or less public event without Presidential and Prime Minister attendance, it could be a very nice outing. At some point, given timing, size, and potential attendees, it becomes a National Security Special Event, and nowhere near as much fun!

No word yet on any television coverage. It would be really nice if PBS could work out broadcast rights...

That would definitely be the way to go....PBS needs to televise it!

1 hour ago, George C said:

While I really loved that play Come from away, I just don’t think any plays transfers to tv that well  

Agreed, but it’s being presented in a concert format on Sept. 10, which would work on TV.   (However, since Ford’s didn’t announce a broadcast partner, it doesn’t seem likely.  Hope I’m wrong.)

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Agreed, but it’s being presented in a concert format on Sept. 10, which would work on TV.   (However, since Ford’s didn’t announce a broadcast partner, it doesn’t seem likely.  Hope I’m wrong.)

That's why I think it could work if televised. But nothing's been announced yet.

Oh, and, one of the first shows to reopen, earlier this evening, in the West End, was Come From Away. From what i see on Twitter, it looks like it was quite the night! We saw the London production on New Year's Day 2020, right before the world turned upside down (we saw Hamilton a couple of days earlier). Great production that really translated very well, with a few minor changes.

I've been waiting patiently to see Come From Away but free on PBS is good for me regardless of whether they tape at the Lincoln Memorial or wherever. I saw Hamilton for the first time on the Disney broadcast last year and it was probably less direct emotional impact than being right there (in the room where it happened) but I still enjoyed it and went back and played several scenes over and over later.

The first time I really saw this stage-on-TV format was Pippen about 40 years ago with William Katt and Ben Vereen and it was a lot of fun.

15 hours ago, George C said:

While I really loved that play Come from away, I just don’t think any plays transfers to tv that well. Hope we can see it again on Broadway or in Dallas area. 

They did a nice job with getting Hamilton onto TV.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I think it depends on the size of your TV screen.

I still have not finished it with my 70” tv, really happy our Tony winning regional theater is having Christmas Carol again this year 

1 hour ago, George C said:

I still have not finished it with my 70” tv, really happy our Tony winning regional theater is having Christmas Carol again this year 

Hi George,😃 this is a bit OT but just wondered, how was your Caribbean Cruise on Edge? I got home from Greece back on Sunday night......It made me realize how much had missed cruising over the past 18 months......so much so, I just booked an Alaskan cruise for next month out of Seattle😃

10 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi George,😃 this is a bit OT but just wondered, how was your Caribbean Cruise on Edge? I got home from Greece back on Sunday night......It made me realize how much had missed cruising over the past 18 months......so much so, I just booked an Alaskan cruise for next month out of Seattle😃

It was a amazing cruise, we were celebrating our 30 anniversary and my wife’s July 4th birthday, so I went crazy and did a move up going from a sky suite to the appropriate 1500 sq ft penthouse, staff treated us like royalty, then on her birthday she won a thousand on video poker, she had never won more than two hundred in her life , following day she hit a 300 slot machine jackpot. Our next is Allure in November.

2 minutes ago, George C said:

It was a amazing cruise, we were celebrating our 30 anniversary and my wife’s July 4th birthday, so I went crazy and did a move up going from a sky suite to the appropriate 1500 sq ft penthouse, staff treated us like royalty, then on her birthday she won a thousand on video poker, she had never won more than two hundred in her life , following day she hit a 300 slot machine jackpot. Our next is Allure in November.

WOW!!!  Sounds pretty awesome😃........PH and winning all that money? SWEET!

Another somewhat setback, proof of vaccines and mask will be required to attend broadway plays until at least 10/31 . Have no intention of wearing a mask ? Wonder if there will be exceptions if you are drinking?

58 minutes ago, George C said:

Another somewhat setback, proof of vaccines and mask will be required to attend broadway plays until at least 10/31 . Have no intention of wearing a mask ? Wonder if there will be exceptions if you are drinking?

Additional information states that like Radio City Music Hall during the Christmas Show, Security will be checking patrons outside of the theaters for vaccination proof. No patron will be allowed to enter the theater till proof is checked and masking will be checked outside, lobby and entrance to theater seating. Source friend that manages a theater. Additional private security and NYPD will be in the area.

Working out the amount of occupancy within the building.

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Additional information states that like Radio City Music Hall during the Christmas Show, Security will be checking patrons outside of the theaters for vaccination proof. No patron will be allowed to enter the theater till proof is checked and masking will be checked outside, lobby and entrance to theater seating. Source friend that manages a theater. Additional private security and NYPD will be in the area.

Working out the amount of occupancy within the building.

Have you been to 54 below , great night club shows just off Broadway. They have been open for a while. 

2 hours ago, George C said:

Wonder if there will be exceptions if you are drinking?

“The rules, which will be in place at least through October, apply to all 41 Broadway theaters, and require that audiences wear masks except when eating or drinking in designated areas.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/30/theater/broadway-audiences-vaccine-requirement.html?smid=url-share

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, George C said:

Have you been to 54 below , great night club shows just off Broadway. They have been open for a while. 

My late very good friend Steve Rubell owned Studio 54.

When Michael Feinstein was trying to make it he worked in a restaurant on Park Avenue South along with other singer actors trying to make it.I used to work a block away and often ate there.

11 hours ago, George C said:

Since June they have been opening slowly one at a time. Maybe since the Bigger Name Shows are being featured more in the Press. Also this is not a Major Theater House name, night club shows are another type of theater...

13 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Since June they have been opening slowly one at a time. Maybe since the Bigger Name Shows are being featured more in the Press. Also this is not a Major Theater House name, night club shows are another type of theater...

Many theaters in Manhattan,Brooklyn and Long Island have closed permanently .I am referring to small theaters.

15 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I see Micheal Finestien is returning to 54 below end of august for two weeks would love to see him in small club like this.

Edited by George C

On 8/4/2021 at 9:38 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Come From Away will be on Apple TV soon

September 10!  (On Apple TV+, which is the steaming service. Apple TV is hardware, and not needed to watch Apple TV+.)

https://www.playbill.com/article/filmed-come-from-away-sets-apple-tv-premiere-date-releases-trailer-announces-cast?fbclid=IwAR0YIJBmtXvn2Y5x3QBfokw9ZOkIocoad8NMtrYTKn_XpyhP8IDjTW0HqQo 

Edited by Turtles06

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

September 10!  (On Apple TV+, which is the steaming service. Apple TV is hardware, and not needed to watch Apple TV+.)

https://www.playbill.com/article/filmed-come-from-away-sets-apple-tv-premiere-date-releases-trailer-announces-cast?fbclid=IwAR0YIJBmtXvn2Y5x3QBfokw9ZOkIocoad8NMtrYTKn_XpyhP8IDjTW0HqQo 

I am looking forward to seeing it.