What broadway play?

George C

Her performing schedule is a little complicated, and so is that of Hadden-Paton: Laura Benanti will star as Eliza Doolittle through 7/7/19. Kerstin Anderson will play the role of Eliza at Tuesday evening performances, however Laura Benanti will perform on Tuesday 3/19, 4/23 and 6/4. Laura Benanti will not perform on 3/9, 3/10, 3/24-28, 4/27-28, 6/5, 6/28-30 or 7/6. The role of Henry Higgins will be performed by Michael Halling on Wednesday evenings.

I assume it’s because she had concert dates or other plans that were scheduled before she extended. Fortunately we are going on Friday, May 9, so we should be good, baring any illness or injury. It was at the top of my list even before they announced that she was extending, so that just sweetened the deal. I love the show so I’m sure I will have a great time regardless of any unforeseen changes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Fair Lady is a classic and the producers take great care when casting replacements. I’m sure it will be great. I happened to see Dear Evan Hansen when a couple of the leads were on vacation and it didn’t interfere with our enjoyment. The show is strong it’s not a hit because of star power. 

On another note, has anyone heard any advance reports about “Tootsie”?  

7 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

My Fair Lady is a classic and the producers take great care when casting replacements. I’m sure it will be great. I happened to see Dear Evan Hansen when a couple of the leads were on vacation and it didn’t interfere with our enjoyment. The show is strong it’s not a hit because of star power. 

We are seeing Tootsie on April 17. Previews begin March 29 and the advance press has been quite positive.

8 hours ago, cft8 said:

I assume it’s because she had concert dates or other plans that were scheduled before she extended. Fortunately we are going on Friday, May 9, so we should be good, baring any illness or injury. It was at the top of my list even before they announced that she was extending, so that just sweetened the deal. I love the show so I’m sure I will have a great time regardless of any unforeseen changes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are also going to see the show in May.We have been to several productions of this show with many talented actresses.

8 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

Tootsie got great reviews and word of mouth pre-Broadway. It's generally considered the leader for the big popular musical hit of the season (Hadestown is looking to be the best critical musical hit)

And "Gary" just started previews on Monday and is already getting amazing word of mouth. A messy, profane, absurd, blood-soaked, obscene, farcial "sequel" to Shakespeare's bloodiest play (which ends with everyone dead) - Titus Anronicus. Nathan Lane is having a ball and Kristin Nielsen has mastered a very wordy play with blank verse and iambic pentameter in the week since she stepped up to replace Andrea Martin.
Still a very messy work getting its first public performances, so things will certainly change - but definitely one to watch.

Edited by MarkBearSF
  • Thanks 1

On 3/14/2019 at 3:14 AM, Nitemare said:

Early comments on the Broadwayworld message board are VERY encouraging!

OK, now by the end of the week, a bit more perspective from others who have seen these first previews and posted online. It's sounding more like what I'd expect from a Taylor Mac show - brilliant, messy, provoking, obscene, beautiful, confusing, absurd, self-indulgent, generous, hilarious, disgusting, and unique. In 85 minutes, no intermission.

AND - likely to be quite divisive. And not a good choice if you are easily offended or want a neatly packaged product. Also, the first row, AA, will likely get hit with (stage) blood, urine, and other bodily fluids. (There are a LOT of corpses remaining at the end of "Titus Andronicus" - and thus, the start of this play)

If the above isn't daunting, and you want to see a hilarious show, with some amazing acting, that you'll be talking about for years, it may be just the show for you! 

Still another month of previews for them to make changes before the actual reviews, but after reading more  reports on chat boards, I thought that a couple of cautions and a bit more detail might be in order here.

Edited by MarkBearSF
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

It really holds up.

We go to the box office pretty much every other visit we make to NYC (5-7 trips/year) and ask about tickets for our future visits.  We get lucky a couple times a year, so we are seeing it again over Labor Day.  It really holds up no matter who is in the cast

19 hours ago, markeb said:

After an almost 11 month wait, we saw Hamilton today. Wow. Really nothing more to add. Just wow!

11 hours ago, Nitemare said:

It really holds up.

We go to the box office pretty much every other visit we make to NYC (5-7 trips/year) and ask about tickets for our future visits.  We get lucky a couple times a year, so we are seeing it again over Labor Day.  It really holds up no matter who is in the cast

My wife and I think it’s extraordinary. We’ve seen it twice (including in London, which is an amazing production), and we’ll be seeing it a third time later this year. 

13 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

My wife and I think it’s extraordinary. We’ve seen it twice (including in London, which is an amazing production), and we’ll be seeing it a third time later this year. 

We just might try for tickets in London over the holidays this year...

And, while we were in town, we deprived Ticketdisaster of their extortion and picked up tickets to Harry Potter on two consecutive nights in August. 

3 minutes ago, markeb said:

We just might try for tickets in London over the holidays this year...

The other wonderful thing about Hamilton in London is that the producers have eliminated the re-sale market by using "paperless tickets."  You buy on line through Ticketmaster UK and get a confirming email.  To enter the theatre, you have to show up with that email, your photo ID, the credit card you used for the purchase, and everyone in your party.  There's nothing that can be scalped or re-sold.  It means that tickets are generally available, and at the prices set by the theatre (much cheaper than in NY, too).   

Apparently, it's illegal in NY for theatres to sell paperless tickets that can't be resold.  Sheesh.

9 minutes ago, George C said:

What’s current price for tickets for Hamilton? 

Ours were rear mezzanine. $199 each plus fees. A year ago...

The one challenge with Hamilton, at least in NYC, is that it seems most of the seats are premium seats, so you can easily get up to $600+ per ticket; we elected not to do that...

4 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

The other wonderful thing about Hamilton in London is that the producers have eliminated the re-sale market by using "paperless tickets."  You buy on line through Ticketmaster UK and get a confirming email.  To enter the theatre, you have to show up with that email, your photo ID, the credit card you used for the purchase, and everyone in your party.  There's nothing that can be scalped or re-sold.  It means that tickets are generally available, and at the prices set by the theatre (much cheaper than in NY, too).   

Apparently, it's illegal in NY for theatres to sell paperless tickets that can't be resold.  Sheesh.

So much for verified fan, or maybe it would be much worse without it! I did notice a LOT Of resell tickets on Ticketmaster, and verified fan is supposed to at least reduce that. Worked well for Springsteen on Broadway, at least for u.

I'll check on the London options. We were both so blown away that we feel like we only took in half the show!

4 hours ago, markeb said:

Ours were rear mezzanine. $199 each plus fees. A year ago...

The one challenge with Hamilton, at least in NYC, is that it seems most of the seats are premium seats, so you can easily get up to $600+ per ticket; we elected not to do that...

The top price in London on a weeknight is £200, and £250 on the weekend.  Worth flying over for a few days . . . :classic_smile:

19 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

The top price in London on a weeknight is £200, and £250 on the weekend.  Worth flying over for a few days . . . :classic_smile:

When do we need to look for December? We’re there already...

8 minutes ago, markeb said:

When do we need to look for December? We’re there already...

They’re on sale now only through August, so keep checking Ticketmaster UK.  It looks like there are some ways to learn of the next release of tickets on social media sites. 

https://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/hamilton?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq_eovcXT4QIVj1cNCh18-gl6EAAYASAAEgKR0PD_BwE

Edited by Turtles06

Will be in nyc end of May will see 3 or 4 plays depending on time flight arrives 

list I believe is

gary

tootise 

preety woman

cher

all on on tkts today would buy tickets outside of tkts if 250 or under 

Hi folks, I am at Sea right now but wanted to say I saw BEAUTIFUL on April 9th before my cruise.......FANTASTIC😃

And now for the kicker...........our itinerary is changing and we will be back in NY a full day early........(due to weather)

So.....I get to see another Broadway show on Saturday night!.......going to see "Come From Away"..........

George.......we are arriving in NYC at 3:00pm........so I should make that 8:00 show with plenty of time😃!!!!

• Like 1

Just loved “ come from away” one of the best feel good plays I have ever seen. We saw beautiful twice on broadway and have first row tickets to see it in Dallas in June.

Now you have another chance to eat at Gallagher’s 😁 or one of the other great restaurants