Anyone ever used STA travel insurance?

I was reading another thread and the subject of travel insurance came up. Two people mentioned STA (student travel), but you do not have to be a student to get the insurance.

I checked prices and $48 covers an 8 day trip!! Comparatively, the last travel insurance that I bought last year was $115 each! This would be a GREAT savings IF they are a good insurer and medically covered out of the US.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Yes, this will be our 2nd year using STA insurance. I got my info about it from one of my patients who has cruised many, many times and used it every time. STA has store front agents in many places aroung the world. Talk about service in the spot.

I recommend it.

Yes, this will be our 2nd year using STA insurance. I got my info about it from one of my patients who has cruised many, many times and used it every time. STA has store front agents in many places aroung the world. Talk about service in the spot.

I recommend it.

And you don't have to book with them to get the insurance,is that correct?That is the way I understand it but just want to clarify.

Laura

• 1 month later...

Hi, this is an older thread now so you may no longer be interested. But just in case: I live in Australia and have used STA insurance and have had to claim on it. They were exceptional - paid up quickly and with no fuss. Of course STA is a broker - e.g. they don't actually own the insurance company, so the one they use in USA might be different. But I was hospitalised in Singapore and claimed through them and they were quick, efficient and no problem.

And yes, you don't have to travel with them to use their insurance, nor do you have to be a student, although if you are a student (at the time I was a 46 year old full time PhD stude) you get it even cheaper.

I too booked out trip insurance with them, I found their web address and there was a 1-800 number which I called, it so happened to be that I was talking to a local office they had in downtown Columbus. I ordered up my policy and went there to pick it up (not a necessity they will mail it but I was going to be in the neighborhood that day) they have been around for a long time. The policy is underwritten by BerkelyCare which other cruiselines use for their insurance. I am happy with the coverage offered, seemed to be the same as many others but the price can't be beat.

• 2 weeks later...

momofslg...

Actually, STA was designed and administrated by BerkelyCare, a division of Affinity Insurance Services, Inc., in all states except: AIS Affinity Isurance Agency, Inc. in CA/MN/OK and AIS Affinity Insurance Agency in NH and NY. Claims are administered by BerkelyCare, a division of Affinity Insurance Services, Inc. in OK and AIS Affinity Insurance Agency in NH and NY.

This plan is underwritten by National Union Fire Insurance Company of Pittsburgh, PA.

I am unable to locate any financial ratings for this company.

• 2 weeks later...

We have used Travel Guard Insurance since 2002 and been on 6 cruises. This many cruises with 2 adults,one handicap, insurance adds up to a lot of money for bad coverage.:(

We have never had to file a claim before until this 2/18 cruise. Our garmet bag with our formal wear never arrived to the ship from the pier after the porter picked it up. We filed out of lost and found claim form at the Carribean Princess pier. Nothing has been recovered so today I called to file an insurance claim. I am still in shock to find out our expensive coverage is only "secondary" coverage and was told to file a homeowners claim first. I did some research and found out when shopping for travel insurance anything highlighted in yellow means it is secondary insurance. So buyer beware of fine print and yellow highlights.

I just called STA insurance and found out that they don't have a pre-existing condition waiver unless you book your travel with them The rest of the insurance was as good as anything else, but I need the waiver.

Laura

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the process of looking for travel insurance for our June cruise/air. It seems I just get more and more confused as I go!

I've done tons of research (this site mostly!), and learned some of the things to look for in a policy. I understand that PRIMARY insurance is important and has been my first question with the recommended insurance companies.

So far, I've checked with 2 of the most recommended companies on this site (CSA and Travel Guard) and was told their insurance is SECONDARY insurance! I'm confused, as these are considered great companies by many. Am I missing something here?:confused:

• 2 weeks later...
As shipaddict can attest, getting "Primary" insurance is one of the VERY IMPORTANT tips to consider when buying travel insurance.

Sorry to hear you had problems.

Can anyone tell me if STA Travel Insurance is Primary? I'm doing research for our Sept. Med. Cruise with another couple. Since we booked this cruise in February we understand that the pre-existing conditions are not covered. The cost of this insurance seems very low in comparison to other policies that I'm looking at, would love to hear any comments on this Company. Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm in the process of looking for travel insurance for our June cruise/air. It seems I just get more and more confused as I go!

I've done tons of research (this site mostly!), and learned some of the things to look for in a policy. I understand that PRIMARY insurance is important and has been my first question with the recommended insurance companies.

So far, I've checked with 2 of the most recommended companies on this site (CSA and Travel Guard) and was told their insurance is SECONDARY insurance! I'm confused, as these are considered great companies by many. Am I missing something here?:confused:

Have you looked at insuremytrip.com ?

Each company CSA and Travel Guard offer more than one type of policy. This is an excellent site where you can compare everything that is covered.

When looking at things, make sure you go to the far right on the screen. It shows a small chart that defines Secondary and Primary by color.

Travel Guard,"Cruise, Tour and Travel" package has Primary medical coverage.

Going through everything takes time but you can find the type of coverage you need.

• 1 year later...
I just called STA insurance and found out that they don't have a pre-existing condition waiver unless you book your travel with them The rest of the insurance was as good as anything else, but I need the waiver.

Laura

Does anyone know if this has been changed. AS I read the policy, it doesn't matter whether you book with them or not. I have not called, however, as I am sorting through CC and their website. Sounds like a great policy to me; don't know if I would need the pre-existing waiver, but would certainly be good to have, just in case.

Archived