Cruise Critic Community
FredT

Travelinng to Tilbury

This post is mostly aimed at the "internationals" that book on CMV, and are flying into Heathrow.

When we took our cruise in March, we researched many ways to get from the airport to Tilbury. Needless to say, all were super expensive, or overly complicated. Luckily, it really is not that bad.

1) From your terminal find the "Heathrow Express" Train. (Departs one way or another from all four terminals)

That train goes nonstop to Londons Paddington Station. If you are spending the night in London (As we were) you are already right in the heart of London, (Blocks from Hyde Park) in a wonderful neighborhood.

2) Ready to go to Tilbury? Go back to Paddington , walk down to the underground, and take the "Circle Line" tube to "Tower Station"... Simple

3) At Tower station, exit the station and walk about 2 blocks to Fenchurch Street Station. On a weekday there are over 40 departures a day. It's a small station, easy to navigate. Hop on your train, and off at Tilbury. From there we found that there was a complimentary bus to the docks, (But that bus did NOT operate on weekends when we returned) If you cant find the bus (or if it's not running) a cab was about 5 US dollars. (A 5 minute ride... and no you cant walk it)

By the way, on our return, we opted to carry our luggage off the ship (simple) so we enjoyed a nice breakfast, and off we went. Two hours and 10 minutes later we walked up to the British Airways check in at Heathrow...

Although not an 'International' passenger, I live in the North of England and always stay a night in London pre cruise. The most hassle free way to travel to Tilbury is to take the direct bus provided by CMV from Victoria Coach Station. You put your bags on the bus and you next see them outside your cabin. You are also allowed to check in as soon as the bus arrives at Tilbury regardless of what time is on your ticket.

Yes, we have used the CMV coach service from Victoria twice and it is a nice easy way to get to the ship. Plus you feel more secure that the ship will wait for you if there is any delay.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When the Heathrow Express, Tube, Train and possible taxi are all added up for a group of 4, the 90odd GBP for a black car from Terminal 2 Heathrow right to the dock is not so bad. For Americans considering the CMV coach from Victoria, check the fare first. It is not on the web site, but last time iI considered that option it was USD 75 per person. I, for one, would never overnight in London if it could be avoided. I love London but not for a "one night" stand.

When the Heathrow Express, Tube, Train and possible taxi are all added up for a group of 4, the 90odd GBP for a black car from Terminal 2 Heathrow right to the dock is not so bad. For Americans considering the CMV coach from Victoria, check the fare first. It is not on the web site, but last time iI considered that option it was USD 75 per person. I, for one, would never overnight in London if it could be avoided. I love London but not for a "one night" stand.

Good grief! It should only be £25 return per person!

Well, we have a "rule" never to take a plane to our cruise the day of departure, and with the options of spending the night at Heathrow (Or Tilbury) we see a nice relaxed evening in London (Hitting up a restaurant we love.) a "no brainer".

As well, when you add up a black car TO London, then the next day TO Tilbury, then FROM Tilbury to Heathrow, the way we did it begins to look good (At least to us, as a pair without children)

Yes, we have used the CMV coach service from Victoria twice and it is a nice easy way to get to the ship. Plus you feel more secure that the ship will wait for you if there is any delay.

how does one book this bus we are overnight in the area prior to the cruise

how does one book this bus we are overnight in the area prior to the cruise

I don’t know which country you are based in. In the UK, you just book it either directly with CMV or through your travel agent if you used one. My agent usually throws it in for free as an inducement to book through them! If you do an online booking on CMV website for a cruise, it comes up as an option to book then.

We're in Australia and we are booked on the 21 July 2019 Greenland cruise on the Marco Polo through CMV Australia. The prices on the CMV Australia website for the transfers to and from Tilbury are $A27 one way and $A45 return which convert closely to the UK price of £15 one way and £25 return.

When I was booking our cruise I compared the Australian, UK and US CMV websites and found that the Australian prices were very close to the UK prices while the prices through the US website were higher. I remember seeing that the US site showed transfers to and from Tilbury as $US75 each way or $US150 return and have just looked again at the US CMV website (us.cruiseandmaritime.com) and that is still what they are charging!

We haven't booked the transfers yet. Before the cruise we will be staying with relatives who live near Ascot and will travel to Tilbury on the day. We will probably go by train from Ascot to London Waterloo and then by tube to Paddington to join the coach. Our cruise is scheduled to depart Tilbury at 4pm and to arrive that morning from the previous cruise at 8am. What time would the buses usually depart from London Victoria when the ship is scheduled to depart at 4pm?

We're in Australia and we are booked on the 21 July 2019 Greenland cruise on the Marco Polo through CMV Australia. The prices on the CMV Australia website for the transfers to and from Tilbury are $A27 one way and $A45 return which convert closely to the UK price of £15 one way and £25 return.

When I was booking our cruise I compared the Australian, UK and US CMV websites and found that the Australian prices were very close to the UK prices while the prices through the US website were higher. I remember seeing that the US site showed transfers to and from Tilbury as $US75 each way or $US150 return and have just looked again at the US CMV website (us.cruiseandmaritime.com) and that is still what they are charging!

We haven't booked the transfers yet. Before the cruise we will be staying with relatives who live near Ascot and will travel to Tilbury on the day. We will probably go by train from Ascot to London Waterloo and then by tube to Paddington to join the coach. Our cruise is scheduled to depart Tilbury at 4pm and to arrive that morning from the previous cruise at 8am. What time would the buses usually depart from London Victoria when the ship is scheduled to depart at 4pm?

That is completely ridiculous that they charge Americans so much more for the transfer. I wonder if they also charge much more for the cruise? Seems to me Americans need to find a friend or relative living in the UK and book with their address on the UK site.

I assume your mention of Paddington was just a slip. I would not recommend using the tube to get from Waterloo to Victoria Coach Station. The 211 bus is much easier, especially with luggage, and door to door. Have a look at the Transport for London website for details and maps of where the bus stops are.

The two times we caught the bus, I think it left about 12 noon. It is a good sightseeing route which is unintentionally followed, past most of the main sights of London!

That is completely ridiculous that they charge Americans so much more for the transfer. I wonder if they also charge much more for the cruise? Seems to me Americans need to find a friend or relative living in the UK and book with their address on the UK site.

I assume your mention of Paddington was just a slip. I would not recommend using the tube to get from Waterloo to Victoria Coach Station. The 211 bus is much easier, especially with luggage, and door to door. Have a look at the Transport for London website for details and maps of where the bus stops are.

The two times we caught the bus, I think it left about 12 noon. It is a good sightseeing route which is unintentionally followed, past most of the main sights of London!

Thanks marylizcat. Yes I did mean Victoria. Thanks for letting me know about the 211 bus. I was going to check if there were lifts at Waterloo and Victoria tube stations since we will have luggage with us but the bus sounds a lot easier.

I am in Australia and have just booked this transfer through 'vacations to go ' an American site which I booked my cruise through they quoted me 45$ US for the round trip which is fairly close to the 25 GBP

I am in Australia and have just booked this transfer through 'vacations to go ' an American site which I booked my cruise through they quoted me 45$ US for the round trip which is fairly close to the 25 GBP

Oh good! I am glad you got it at a sensible price.

I'm please that Vacations To Go were able to get it at that price for you. The price of $US150 return on the US CMV site is ridiculous compared with the UK price.

Edited by Koz1

I just booked the Victoria to Tilbury transfer in both directions and it was $50 pp RT.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Regarding the bus transfer from Victoria to Tilbury with CMV. We are booked on the Greenland cruise in July and was wondering if anyone who has used this service knows how often they run this shuttle service, hourly or whenever the bus is full? 

Thanks

2 hours ago, Cell2200 said:

Regarding the bus transfer from Victoria to Tilbury with CMV. We are booked on the Greenland cruise in July and was wondering if anyone who has used this service knows how often they run this shuttle service, hourly or whenever the bus is full? 

Thanks

There is just one departure time from Victoria, when however many buses there are depart. On the return, whilst there is again one departure time, I imagine they go as they fill up, but basically at the same time.There will probably only be a couple of coaches.

On 5/3/2018 at 2:37 AM, FredT said:

Hop on your train, and off at Tilbury. From there we found that there was a complimentary bus to the docks, (But that bus did NOT operate on weekends when we returned) If you cant find the bus (or if it's not running) a cab was about 5 US dollars. (A 5 minute ride... and no you cant walk it) 

Is that a "distance" thing, or are there some areas around the terminal which don't allow pedestrians? (looks like it's only about a mile)

It's a distance thing.  (Not really THAT far, but, a winding, narrow road, with lots of turns) 

16 hours ago, marylizcat said:

There is just one departure time from Victoria, when however many buses there are depart. On the return, whilst there is again one departure time, I imagine they go as they fill up, but basically at the same time.There will probably only be a couple of coaches.

Forgive me but I'm not quite sure of what you mean about just one departure time from Victoria station. Do you mean one, and only one departure all day? Basically I'm trying to find out at what time does the one, or more than one, bus depart from Victoria to Tilbury. As for the return? We won't be needing that as family will be picking us up.

We arrive at Gatwick on the 20th July, stay the night there and travel up to Victoria on the 21st, hence would like to know what time to arrive at Victoria in order to connect with the shuttle to Tilbury?

Thanks

7 hours ago, Cell2200 said:

Forgive me but I'm not quite sure of what you mean about just one departure time from Victoria station. Do you mean one, and only one departure all day? Basically I'm trying to find out at what time does the one, or more than one, bus depart from Victoria to Tilbury. As for the return? We won't be needing that as family will be picking us up.

We arrive at Gatwick on the 20th July, stay the night there and travel up to Victoria on the 21st, hence would like to know what time to arrive at Victoria in order to connect with the shuttle to Tilbury?

Thanks

7 hours ago, Cell2200 said:

Thanks

Sorry but I was answering your original question which was ‘how often’ not ‘when’ do they run.

i believe it varies according to each cruise’s departure times. Ours was about noon I think. They will notify you with the final documents.

if you book the transfer through a travel agency [which we did ] they will tell you what time to be at Victoria BUS station , they also supplied us with colour coded bag tags and when you your bags  on the bus , the next time you see them are in you cabin SO SO easy       see your or any travel agency  super simple

Thanks for the info. 

We were just wondering if there was a specific timetable the shuttle runs to so that we could book a particular time and schedule the rest of the day around that.

We'll see what the travel agent says.

Again, appreciate the information.

Thanks