Cloud Expedition, Lisbon to London

Wellseasoned

Sad to see Silver Cloud leave this morning.

Weather took a turn for the worse (back to normal I guess!) Was raining on my way into work but fortunately sunny but much cooler for departure at 9am.

Left my ipad pro against the window of my office to record Tug Bootle power it from the Belfast before assisting Brunel pulling the Cloud through Tower Bridge backwards. Watched... And only a short clip of "action" but come out well.

Walked over to my usual spot in front of the Tower of London. Set the first GoPro up and started recording. Then the second, only to realise that I'd downloaded the content of both last night, but had left one micro SD inside my laptop!

Still recorded the entire departure with the other, but with a small amount of movement as she passed. I also use a normal 1080P HD video camera (with the same movements)... Seems to have come out well.

And along with my DSLR and phone, I've another large collection of photos and video.

I watched the incoming footage from the 8th last night and happy with the results.

Will post the YouTube links once editing is complete. Hopefully this evening I'll get both completed.

Cloud left 5 mins later than scheduled this morning. I saw what looked like port authority guys board the Belfast and run up to give something to someone. How it looked anyway.

She made good time and a speedy turn above Rotherhythe tunnel but reached my usual viewing location of Dartford bridge 2 hours after departing.... Exactly on time!

Busy month coming up with Silver Spirit in Greenwich for the start of June. And a bonus, clouds next departure on the 3rd of June will pass Spirit while moored. Hopefully I'll still be on board the Spirit at that time to film.

3e18355286effc3edab5b92c79f566af.jpg

1ec5e79ea0153b50cb9ae9181020d603.jpg

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

The sail away was very nice, and the sail out the Thames lovely. Sadly, unlike a few years ago, no “Rule Britannia” playing while going under Tower Bridge. Today is like a sea day. There was a pub brunch on the pool deck. We will anchor at Guernsey tomorrow morning.

claudiaYVR, I am attaching photos of the fitness center. Also a photo of the suite balcony. So far no one has been able to tell me why there are chairs on the balconies but no table. Someone suggested that it was because the Arctic/Antarctic are too cold. But then why have chairs? And we are in warmer areas for many weeks.

If anyone would like photos of a specific area on the ship, I would be happy to try to send some.

fitness room

363cd9fba22ef3b2b8732f018d6e213e.jpg

b760a91e505ebd2c8a46da0b5b126e1e.jpg

Balcony

b3dbc82465aad4881564d622816d2cab.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Emtbsam, CruisinPashima, Silver Spectre, just want to tell you that, starting yesterday, Eileen, who was in charge of Indochine on the Muse last fall and created that fabulous last night Asian dinner for us, is now the Restaurant Manager of the Silver Cloud!

Wellseasoned,

I was surprised that there are no tables on the verandas. Where am I supposed to put my wine glass!!!

Looking forward to boarding on the 19th in Dublin.

Emtbsam, CruisinPashima, Silver Spectre, just want to tell you that, starting yesterday, Eileen, who was in charge of Indochine on the Muse last fall and created that fabulous last night Asian dinner for us, is now the Restaurant Manager of the Silver Cloud!

That’s really good to hear. We still have very fond memories of that dinner, as I’m sure that the Echo’s do.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you Perfectionistcruiser! After your post I vigorously questioned what I had been told and the non response for the past 12 days and said that we wanted a table NOW. Finally , the butler manager appeared at the door and admitted that they hadn't received enough tables, so they just decided not to provide them on deck 5. They immediately provided a table from the pool deck. We have been with Silversea for over 20 years and are on this cruise for 36 days, in a mid-ship verandah, and I am astounded that they would mislead any passenger in this way.

Thank you so much for the pics of the gym Wellseasoned, glad you got your table although you think by now they should have got whatever they did not get during the refurb. Continue to enjoy your fantastic cruise.

Thank you Perfectionistcruiser! After your post I vigorously questioned what I had been told and the non response for the past 12 days and said that we wanted a table NOW. Finally , the butler manager appeared at the door and admitted that they hadn't received enough tables, so they just decided not to provide them on deck 5. They immediately provided a table from the pool deck. We have been with Silversea for over 20 years and are on this cruise for 36 days, in a mid-ship verandah, and I am astounded that they would mislead any passenger in this way.

Thanks for the heads up. We'll be on deck 5 also, and we will have that table!!

Glad it wasn’t taken as a negative./ and I must admit I’ve not visited the gym.

In the meantime something extraordinary.

Another tug pulled cruise ship came all the way up to the bridge and pulled back. Great experience if you can’t get through for sure. Think it was called Boreal....lots of photos taken from the panorama....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Le Boreal was docked in Caen when we were on the Cloud for the 70th Anniversary of D-Day charter. Looked like a nice ship. Wellseasoned commentary brings back fond memories of that cruise sponsored by the National D-Day Museum in New Orleans.

I think the "Rule Britannia" was a special request organised by Colin Brown - Cruise Director at the time of our first cruise from Tower Bridge. It was around 7pm and the crowds waiting on land for the ship to sail sang along with passengers and crew. A memorable moment to say the least!!

On another cruise, the sail up the River didn't have the "buzz" that leaving did, I suppose a lot of the people who would have loved to be there were still at work, the time of the arrival and departure obviously depends on the time and the tides.

I'm on the Spirit for the cruise Sept 10th and nobody has advised me that the departure is now from Tilbury, maybe later to the date Silversea will officially advise me.

I think the "Rule Britannia" was a special request organised by Colin Brown - Cruise Director at the time of our first cruise from Tower Bridge. It was around 7pm and the crowds waiting on land for the ship to sail sang along with passengers and crew. A memorable moment to say the least!!

On another cruise, the sail up the River didn't have the "buzz" that leaving did, I suppose a lot of the people who would have loved to be there were still at work, the time of the arrival and departure obviously depends on the time and the tides.

I'm on the Spirit for the cruise Sept 10th and nobody has advised me that the departure is now from Tilbury, maybe later to the date Silversea will officially advise me.

It’s Azamara Journey that has displaced the Spirit and I agree it’s very poor such an important and significant part of your journey has been cancelled.

https://www.pla.co.uk/Travel/Cruise-Ship-Diary/Cruise-Ship-Diary

It’s funny you mention Colin Brown. I was standing next to his wife as Silver Wind sailed through Tower Bridge one evening at about 7pm nearly 2 years ago as Rule Britannia blared out. Maybe the same cruise?

In the meantime....here is silver Cloud expedition from 8th May

Edited by les37b

Eileen, who was in charge of Indochine on the Muse last fall and created that fabulous last night Asian dinner for us, is now the Restaurant Manager of the Silver Cloud!
She's a winner! And, I'd say well deserving a promotion to Manager of the Cloud's Restaurant.

When I was on the Muse last fall, she went out of her way to work with some new friends we made during our voyage who hailed from Australia to create a wonderful Indian meal one evening and Executive chef Anne-Mari's team executed it perfectly.

...the butler manager appeared at the door and admitted that they hadn't received enough tables, so they just decided not to provide them on deck 5.

...I am astounded that they would mislead any passenger in this way.

I totally agree and would have been exceptionally disappointed. I guarantee you, I would certainly bring my displeasure to the attention of the Hotel Director.

Perhaps it’s an SS VIP thing.

Mr. Silver, I hope someday my DW and I have the opportunity to be on board one of your sailings because I love your 'insider' humor. I'm still laughing! Heck, I'd be in stitches all evening having you, Wellseasoned, Col. Wes, and ETual at the same table one evening.

Mr. Silver, I hope someday my DW and I have the opportunity to be on board one of your sailings because I love your 'insider' humor. I'm still laughing! Heck, I'd be in stitches all evening having you, Wellseasoned, Col. Wes, and ETual at the same table one evening.

Careful. Having all of them together at a table when you're trying to eat could be dangerous. It would only be a matter of time before somebody's dinner went down the wrong way!, from laughing too hard. Could really be an evening to remember...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Concur with Brian’s table idea, naturally as he thought of it, he becomes the host and provides the fine wine for each course :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Having the good grace to blush at the thought, especially before the DW sees this. I do like your sentiments.

Careful. Having all of them together at a table when you're trying to eat could be dangerous. It would only be a matter of time before somebody's dinner went down the wrong way!, from laughing too hard. Could really be an evening to remember...
Good point JP! And, an evening to remember for sure.

Concur with Brian’s table idea, naturally as he thought of it, he becomes the host and provides the fine wine for each course.
It'll be my pleasure!

Strange, I'm on the same cruise and got a notification from SS via my TA months ago about Tilbury.

It's also shown quite clearly on the SS website which I look at from time to time to follow prices - that's worth doing, I recently got a significant rebate on one of my bookings when the price went down.

Check with your TA?

Edited by jollyjones

Enjoying reading your posts, Wellseasoned.

Eileen was aboard the Muse with us on our last cruise ( yes the one that we just disembarked in Dublin Monday) and she is truly a star.

I am truly happy that she has been so recognized by Silversea for the talent she is.

Just a few random comments, some photos to follow later.

mrscrab, The Rule Britannia was played on our Cloud passage under Tower Bridge in 2011, and Colin was not the CD, though he was probably responsible for it on the Wind.

Stumblefoot, that dinner you suggested would really be great, as long as we could get Wes to not wear those awful bright yellow shoes he runs in. (I think he also swims in them.)

Regarding the new expedition Cloud, verandah suite:The bathroom plumbing is the best we've ever had on a ship. The large rain and hand-held showers are great, can both go full blast at the same time, and start at and maintain your set temperature all the time, even at busy shower times. However, the bathroom lighting is fairly dim.

The huge television takes up much of the counter space. The dressing table is gone, replaced by a large floor to ceiling mirror. Very few shelves remain.

There are many electrical outlets of various kinds, on the desk and both bedsides. Also two charging USB ports on the desk.

Both bedside lamps are mounted on the headboard and include flexible gooseneck lamps for late night reading.

The free internet has been fine, not super fast, but satisfactory. I've had no problem sending photos using the medium rather than high or low quality setting on the tapatalk or forums app.

The crew has been excellent as usual, and the expedition staff is very enthusiastic. Happily, they are great zodiac drivers! The age distribution of passengers seems about the same as on the regular ships, and we of the more "senior" age groups haven't had problems with the expeditionary rigors (so far).

Dieter (and Debbie) thanks for continuing to share your b2b2b Cloud Expedition voyages with us in words and photos.

When we sailed under the Tower Bridge, Rule Britannia was playing, the late Judy was our CD then on the Cloud (July 2013) still our fav itinerary of two dozen cruises.

For Brian/Stumblefoot's hosted dinner Dieter, have bought you a pair of the yellow Mizuno Wavi Rider, size 17 to fit your feet.

Stumblefoot, that dinner you suggested would really be great, as long as we could get Wes to not wear those awful bright yellow shoes he runs in. (I think he also swims in them.)

For Brian/Stumblefoot's hosted dinner Dieter, have bought you a pair of the yellow Mizuno Wavi Rider, size 17 to fit your feet.

I’ll be sure to wear a yellow shirt (or tie) to dinner in order to fit in with you two. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk