Cloud Expedition, Lisbon to London

Wellseasoned

33 minutes ago, RachelG said:

Don't I wish.  Our bank account will require a little postoperative recovery time though.

Ha!  Totally understand. 

We're lucky because our future orthodontist has decided she doesn't like chemistry, but rather enjoys business, so a business degree and MBA sounds better.  So, instead of 9 more years of tuition, we only have 4-1/2 left since she'll graduate early from undergrad.  Maybe we'll retire early!

It seems

4 hours ago, RachelG said:

So we will embark the day you get off.  I have a bunch of friends on your cruise that are doing B to B. We couldn't as we have 2 BIG graduations to attend the week of your cruise--my oldest son from law school and my adopted daughter from accounting school. And will be celebrating freedom from tuition as well.

It seems that Dublin to London is the best part of this cruise but it is waiting list almost all cabins.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Great trip report.  Wellseasoned, thank you for taking the time.  I will be on the Lisbon to London segment next May and I have a few questions. 2fromTwo, please feel free to chime in as well.

The cruise is being billed as a culinary cruise.  What is different about that?  Is all the food generally better or are there theme nights, cooking classes or culinary related tours? 

I am planning a full-day private tour in Bordeaux.  Was the tour you described on day one in  Bordeaux a not-to-be-missed tour?  I’m just trying to figure out which day to do my private tour which includes wine-tasting outside of the city and a city tour.

Were there any other tours that were really special that I should consider if they’re still being offered?

My husband has a very lightweight blazer.  Is that more than necessary on the informal nights?

Thanks for your kind comments, Gourmet Gal.  Regarding your questions, our cruise was also designated as a culinary cruise.  That meant that the wonderful chef David Bilsland was aboard doing his excellent demos and classes, and special lunches.  Sometimes he leads  market tours ashore.  I think he will be present on your cruise as well.  A real treat!

The Cloud's tours are included in the fare, and they were very good indeed.  The tour to the vineyards in the Bordeaux countryside was excellent and included wine tastings and a wonderful lunch at a two star Michelin restaurant.  Definitely a not to be missed tour!

If you like oysters, the two oyster tours on our cruise were really excellent.  Great oysters in quantity.  The tour to the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain was excellent.  The visit to the D-Day sites was very memorable (but I am a U.S. Navy veteran).  You will certainly have many wonderful tour opportunities on this cruise! 

The blazer should be perfect for the informal nights. 

This is a cruise we would happily repeat- if there weren't so many others we have not yet done!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Thanks for the info.  I’ve already been to the D-Day beaches, cemetery and area tour along with several other WWII site and US cemeteries in Europe so just wondering if there were any alternative tours offered in the Honfleur area.

There was an alternative tour offered, a "medieval" excursion to Rouen, including the Old Market Place where Joan of Arc was burned, the modern Joan of Arc Church, and the Gothic Cathedral.  Then a distillery visit with cider, pommeau, and calvados, accompanied by Norman cheeses.  We did not do that tour because we had already sailed up the Seine to Rouen on the Silver Whisper a few years earlier. 

We were on this cruise in 2018 with Wellseasoned and 2fromTO and loved it.  We have made reservations for the 2021 version on the Cloud which was recently announced.  It leaves June 16 2021; the voyage is listed as Lisbon to Reykjavik (17 days).  It does not have the overnight to Bordeaux but does have the overnight at Tower Bridge.  

• 1 month later...

Wellseasoned, another question: How were the seas on this cruise?  I know you had some rain but just wondering how rough the seas were.  My husband has some trouble with seasickness and oddly, lately I do, too.  I switched to next May from a similar itinerary but in the fall because I heard that generally the seas in this area were calmer in the spring.  But I realize anything is possible, anytime of the year.  Do you know if the Cloud has stabilizers?

3 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Do you know if the Cloud has stabilizers?

Yes. We made good use of them up north of Iceland last month!

I will add on to Wellseasoned's answer about culinary cruises. We did one to South America, in October-November 2017 on board Silver Explorer. It was phenomenal. The food was amazing and there were lots of local touches - guest chefs from the countries we were visiting, tons of cooking demos with local delicacies, a guest sommelier, special events on the deck with super fresh food, I could go on... Probably the best food of any SS cruise yet.

That said - on these same boards I have seen people complain about culinary cruises being nothing special, so perhaps my expectations are too low. But we were really happy with our culinary cruise. Hope you enjoy yours as well.

• Like 3