Besides Geo Blue what other insurance do others use for expensive trips?

Hank,

I have been following your posts and am interested in the results of your claim with Chase. We are thinking of getting the card but are wondering if you must pay for the entire cost of the trip with Chase in order to make the claim for the entire amount lost. I cannot get answers from Chase unless I have the card so it's a catch 22. We already have a Citi Advantage card that covers $5000 so we are looking for additional coverage. We also buy Geo Blue. Thanks for your help.

Adrien

Regarding using the card for a partial purchase, that is still a question I cannot fully answer. In our case we booked a fly-cruise package that was charged on our Chase Card. However, the original deposit (only $200) was charged on another card (we did not even have the Chase card at the time) more then a year earlier when we purchased a Future Cruise Credit on an earlier cruise. Chase's Claims Examiners did ask us about the deposit and we sent them an e-mail explanation and also stated that we were not seeking reimbursement for that $200 which is actually a very small part of a large loss. The issue was never again mentioned by Chase. I had a telephone conversation with the Claims Examiner and she did not even raise the issue so I think my explanation was OK. We have seen some other posts where folks mentioned that you do not need to charge the entire trip on the Chase Card...and the insurance is simply limited to the amount charged up to Chase's stated maximum. However, like you, I have never received anything in writing that that clarifies the matter. At this point we have been led to believe that the only thing holding up our claim is verification on whether our unused airline tickets are eligible for any kind of refund or credit.

Regarding using the card for a partial purchase, that is still a question I cannot fully answer. In our case we booked a fly-cruise package that was charged on our Chase Card. However, the original deposit (only $200) was charged on another card (we did not even have the Chase card at the time) more then a year earlier when we purchased a Future Cruise Credit on an earlier cruise. Chase's Claims Examiners did ask us about the deposit and we sent them an e-mail explanation and also stated that we were not seeking reimbursement for that $200 which is actually a very small part of a large loss. The issue was never again mentioned by Chase. I had a telephone conversation with the Claims Examiner and she did not even raise the issue so I think my explanation was OK. We have seen some other posts where folks mentioned that you do not need to charge the entire trip on the Chase Card...and the insurance is simply limited to the amount charged up to Chase's stated maximum. However, like you, I have never received anything in writing that that clarifies the matter. At this point we have been led to believe that the only thing holding up our claim is verification on whether our unused airline tickets are eligible for any kind of refund or credit.

Thanks for the quick reply. I did call Citi Advantage and they indicated that they would cover any costs up to the $5000 limit which were paid with the card, so I guess I could split the payments on 2 cards ($10000 on Chase and $5000 on Citi) and hope for the best. I would be interested to hear your final report as to reimbursement.