From the cow kings to an Empress, Norton goes on a little Sojourn

• 6 months later...
On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:51 AM, Emperor Norton said:

Time to pull the suitcases from hibernation and start packing for a little Sojourn. I have to Shanghai myself before heading off to a meet and eat with the king of cows in Kobe.

Hi Emperor Norton, we are hoping you might see this query although your thread ended in June.

Can you recall which cruise port Seabourn used in Kobe? Naka Pier (near the Oriental Hotel) or the Kobe Terminal? We are doing the same run this year and info on which of the two cruise terminals is more likely is not available. The Kobe Port Authority website doesn't specify either. We would like to book a hotel nearby the relevant one. 

Annoyingly, information on the terminals is contradictory. Some sources say smaller ships use Naka and others mention Kobe. We understand the exact terminal allocated on the day may change, but just want to check what the previous terminal was?

Any info would be appreciated. Cheers

10 hours ago, BasandSyb said:

Hi Emperor Norton, we are hoping you might see this query although your thread ended in June.

Can you recall which cruise port Seabourn used in Kobe? Naka Pier (near the Oriental Hotel) or the Kobe Terminal? We are doing the same run this year and info on which of the two cruise terminals is more likely is not available. The Kobe Port Authority website doesn't specify either. We would like to book a hotel nearby the relevant one. 

Annoyingly, information on the terminals is contradictory. Some sources say smaller ships use Naka and others mention Kobe. We understand the exact terminal allocated on the day may change, but just want to check what the previous terminal was?

Hope this helps. IIRC (and hopefully the geotag backs it up) it was Kobe. 

D565C8AF-303B-47C6-9A70-C00129E5823C.png

13 hours ago, BasandSyb said:

Hi BasandSyd, when we were on Sojourn in March 2016 we used the Nakatottei Cruisr Terminal that has a ship-like hotel on the end of the pier.

F1816698-8747-4216-89F6-1928BEC7770E.jpeg

E976D775-1F6C-496F-BB95-426C614E6E7D.jpeg

1 hour ago, Emperor Norton said:

I wish that’s there the ship docked when I went. It would’ve been an easy walk down the street. 

It was an easy walk, very central, we hopped on the tourist tram at the dock and took it to the Shin-Kobe Shinkansen Hi-Speed train station where we went for a “Burn” down to Himeji and walked to the castle. We were back on the ship for lunch !

After lunch we walked to the shopping Mall about 10 minutes away.

we loved Japan, Kobe especially.

3FB644B4-B375-4B58-9919-515AF42F6EBD.jpeg

270C0D7F-0DC9-4F7D-981E-33269E7767AE.jpeg

Emperor Norton, I have another question related to this route (which we will be taking in May aboard Sojourn).  I know we need to bring gloves and a hat for windy/cool weather.   I also know a jacket will be provided by SB.  I also know that layers of clothing are important.  

BUT, can you tell those of us who will be going this route, if we should expect generally cool weather (sweaters, turtlenecks, etc) or if we should expect some warm weather as well. 

Thank you in advance for your counsel.  

Thanks for the feedback.

Seabourn Sydney has just come back to me - the only information they can find at this stage is in line with your first post Emperor Norton - that it will be the Kobe Pier Terminal at 4-5 Shinkocho NOT Naka (the one with the Oriental Hotel on the pier). That's a shame as it would have been easier to stay at the Oriental prior to boarding!

Back to the drawing board with hotels...

Port Terminal is connected to Sannomiya Station by Port Liner new transit system (a sort of automated train).

http://www.knt-liner.co.jp/en/

We disembarked there two years ago and it was quite easy.  Cute little automated train.  With the Sannomiya Station connection you can stay anywhere.  I personally recommend staying in Kyoto rather than Kobe.  You can checkout in Kyoto, grab one of the numerous trains and be in Kobe in an hour. Can't board until noon, so might as well stay someplace nice! 🙂

Thanks DUHCAR for the tips. Have seen the little train and have therefore been considering just staying near the Sannominya Station somewhere. Considered the port area hotels, but as we will be in Kobe a few days prior, don't want to be hiking to the train station everytime we need to use it to see around the area. Connectivity from the port area seems mainly the local loop bus. We will be doing Kyoto and a number of other locations prior, so certainly won't miss it!