Alaskan Prime off to less than stellar start

TravelCat all contracts have holes in them and can be challenged. Small claims court would be the easiest and cheapest way to go. You file in your state and pay a fee for filing and if a Regent lawyer does not show up, the plaintiff will get an automatic judgement.

The problem, is the loss worth it but out of principal some people will use those methods to make a point.

Once again, I urge you to read the contract and understand that Regent rarely if ever loses a law suit. If someone wants to go to small claims court, they can certainly do so but it must be filed in Florida (I do not recall the county - I believe it is Dade County) so the person(s) would need to fly go to Florida.

Cruise companies can get away with things that would never fly with most companies. The only positive is that the President/CEO of Regent, Oceania, NCL and the head CEO of NCLH have huge hearts and truly want to please their customers. However, there is likely a limit to their generosity.

Again, I urge you to read the following https://www.rssc.com/media/hostedfiles/legal/EU-TicketContract.pdf . It is not that long or complicated.

Edited by Travelcat2

Once again, I urge you to read the contract and understand that Regent rarely if ever loses a law suit. If someone wants to go to small claims court, they can certainly do it. While they may blow off insignificant or ridiculous claims, the law is generally on their side.

Cruise companies can get away with things that would never fly with most companies. The only positive is that the President/CEO of Regent, Oceania, NCL and the head CEO of NCLH have huge hearts and truly want to please their customers. However, there is likely a limit to their generosity.

Again, I urge you to read the following https://www.rssc.com/media/hostedfiles/legal/EU-TicketContract.pdf . It is not that long or complicated.

The CEO of NCL has a big heart? You may want to ask the people who recently finished the Sun Panama Cruise. The one that was a construction zone. Oh, it was probably covered in the contract so it was ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The CEO of NCL has a big heart? You may want to ask the people who recently finished the Sun Panama Cruise. The one that was a construction zone. Oh, it was probably covered in the contract so it was ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is the Regent board so I cannot speak to what NCL does. I will meet the CEO of NCL later this month and probably should not have included him in my statement. However, his boss, Mr Frank Del Rio has a huge heart and has been known to pick up Regent passengers waiting for a cab on the street and driving them to the ship. I respect Mr. Del Rio more than any man on earth (except for my husband). His kindness, generosity, caring (for his family, the passengers and cruise lines) is over the top. I am blessed to know him.

Mr Frank Del Rio has a huge heart and has been known to pick up Regent passengers waiting for a cab on the street and driving them to the ship.

Wow! I knew he drove you to the port in Miami last March but didn't realize that he regularly does this for other passengers too.

Marc

Wow! I knew he drove you to the port in Miami last March but didn't realize that he regularly does this for other passengers too.

Marc

I don't know how regular it is but he has been known to do it. When I first met him I expected him to arrive in a limo with a driver. You can't imagine how shocked I was when he drove up in his son's truck ready to put our luggage in the back.

I realize that you are not a fan but I truly wish that you two could sit down and have a conversation. Think that you would be very surprised.

Sorry for the off topic post. Still hoping that when I get up tomorrow morning (which is mid-day for some of you) that many have read the contract and will have some comments based on what you have read. And, does it give you a better understanding?

OP here. Time to jump back in after lurking watching the rest of you mix it up. For those of you who speak of some equivalency between properties, let’s just say we will agree to disagree. The Stanford Court is unacceptable alternative and I will be the final judge of that. Regent did not have a representative on-site only contractors that were sympathetic but unable to assist. The onboard staff contacted us within a day and we await further explanation and comment. As for the cruise it is going very well and Mariner is a beautiful ship, as we expected. The events at the Fairmont are and will be a blemish. Hopefully a small one in the bigger scheme of things. Back to your schirmishes.

Back to your schirmishes.

I honestly think there was an outpouring of concern and support for you in the understandable difficult circumstances you were in. Your situation was raised to the highest level possible within Regent and hopefully your cruise will be nice enough that the unfortunate start will be mitigated by Regent as you enjoy your cruise.

The folks here on Cruise Critic sincerely care about their fellow travelers and this is something special about this group and Regent in general. Please keep us posted as your cruise continues and if you feel that Regent has made appropriate amends for the grief you endured before you started the cruise.

According to the response from Jason Montague, Regent was not at fault - the hotel was at fault and Regent tried to correct it (even though it is technically not their responsibility to do so). Regent cannot take responsibility for all airlines and hotels they contract with - particularly when they are major national companies. This no more Regent's fault than it is Regent's fault when an airline cancels a flight that Regent had their passengers booked on. So many times hotels, land contractors, tour operators make mistakes and Regent is left to pick up and pieces and try to make their customers happy. The alternative would be to stop including airfare, hotels, transfers and excursions to their passengers.

As Mr. Montague stated it was a "third party mistake". Just want the facts to be presented as Mr Montague stated and that Wes was kind enough to post!

With all due respect, it is such a shame that you did not take the time to properly read my post or the response to Wes from Jason Montague before careering off on your own agenda.

I did not say that Regent were at fault but purely reflected Jason's own words that Regent have responsibilities.

I realise that Regent's Ts&Cs for those booking in the US* include various clauses that attempt to limit their liability in the case of errors or default by their contractors and suppliers.

However what most posters are talking about on this thread is the reputational damage that is caused if problems are not addressed promptly and are not seen to be addressed by other prospective customers.

Extending this thread with so much talk about Contract conditions makes it sound as though Regent are a litigious company that always try to wriggle out of its obligations to customers. This is the exact opposite of what we have found with Regent, who in our experience usually step up and do the right thing ............. albeit they sometimes need a little prodding.

I am glad that the OP has settled into enjoying the cruise and has put their first poor impression of Regent behind them.

* Regent UK Ts&Cs are different in that customers are purchasing a "Package Holiday" and as such the Tour Operator (in this case Regent) is fully liable, notwithstanding who in their supply chain is at fault. Regent UK do attempt to limit their liability for land tours & excursions but IMO they might come unstuck if this were tested in the UK Courts.

Airline delays, cancellations and overbooking are covered under EU legislation, which requires the airline to give a set amount of compensation to any customer affected.

With all due respect, it is such a shame that you did not take the time to properly read my post or the response to Wes from Jason Montague before careering off on your own agenda.

I did not say that Regent were at fault but purely reflected Jason's own words that Regent have responsibilities.

I realise that Regent's Ts&Cs for those booking in the US* include various clauses that attempt to limit their liability in the case of errors or default by their contractors and suppliers.

However what most posters are talking about on this thread is the reputational damage that is caused if problems are not addressed promptly and are not seen to be addressed by other prospective customers.

Extending this thread with so much talk about Contract conditions makes it sound as though Regent are a litigious company that always try to wriggle out of its obligations to customers. This is the exact opposite of what we have found with Regent, who in our experience usually step up and do the right thing ............. albeit they sometimes need a little prodding.

I am glad that the OP has settled into enjoying the cruise and has put their first poor impression of Regent behind them.

* Regent UK Ts&Cs are different in that customers are purchasing a "Package Holiday" and as such the Tour Operator (in this case Regent) is fully liable, notwithstanding who in their supply chain is at fault. Regent UK do attempt to limit their liability for land tours & excursions but IMO they might come unstuck if this were tested in the UK Courts.

Airline delays, cancellations and overbooking are covered under EU legislation, which requires the airline to give a set amount of compensation to any customer affected.

Flossie, I was just going to post that the UK regard that you are buying a 'package' and all elements included in that package, (in most cases, flight, hotel and cruise) are the responsibility of the tour company (Regent in this case) that you have made your contract with.

This would not apply if you sourced your own flights and hotel.

This thread has done more meandering than the Mississippi river. An unfortunate incident occurred at a hotel. Regent provided no info so the thread went on for quite a while with speculation. A CC poster managed to get some clarification from Jason Montague who says "....we are responsible as we chose the hotel property as out partner." Some posters seemed to be satisfied with that post.

But despite Mr. Montague's statement, the river overflowed its banks and an unusual hotel specific problem was expanded to airline delays and all other third party vendors, land contractors, tour operators and who knows who else. Then also despite Mr. Montagues acceptance of responsibility we get lots citations from Regent's "legal document" otherwise known as Regent's Ts&Cs about why Regent isn't or can't be or won't be or doesn't have to be responsible for anything connected with a third party. Though later we discover that if the Mississippi waters ever make their way across the ocean, that a different set of rules apply.

But feeding into this meandering river we seem to have a stream of consciousness touching on the the big heart of CEO of NCL who allegedly picks people up on the streets and the knowledge that if you die the day before the cruise you are still responsible for the cruise fare.

Again let me suggest that if someone wants to continue to discuss Regent's general legal responsibility that it be done in another thread as it was made irrelevant by Regent's acceptance of responsibility for the third party hotel vendor in this case.

Unless there is new information about the original incident that sparked this thread, I think this river has run its course.

Greetings from South Beach, Everyone. What happened to the TS was certainly unfortunate. I assume that Regent will make it up to all involved. In our experience, the unexpected is part of travel. For Example, we were on a cruise from Seoul to Hong Kong on a small ship called Ocean Pearl, docked for the day at Dalian, Mongolia. Our morning tour was a visit with a Chinese family in their apartment. They offered hospitality and we enjoyed our experience. When we arrived back at the dock, the presence of carts, waiters, Champagne and caviar were a definite clue that something was amiss. The ship had been totally disabled by a fire while we were out, and our cruise was over. All 450 of us passengers and crew, spent the next three days in a partially finished hotel, dining on food delivered from the ship, After dinner every evening, we had a show. Since then, our off plan adventures haven't been too drastic. The point of all this is that stuff happens,

Mary

Greetings from South Beach, Everyone. What happened to the TS was certainly unfortunate. I assume that Regent will make it up to all involved. In our experience, the unexpected is part of travel. For Example, we were on a cruise from Seoul to Hong Kong on a small ship called Ocean Pearl, docked for the day at Dalian, Mongolia. Our morning tour was a visit with a Chinese family in their apartment. They offered hospitality and we enjoyed our experience. When we arrived back at the dock, the presence of carts, waiters, Champagne and caviar were a definite clue that something was amiss. The ship had been totally disabled by a fire while we were out, and our cruise was over. All 450 of us passengers and crew, spent the next three days in a partially finished hotel, dining on food delivered from the ship, After dinner every evening, we had a show. Since then, our off plan adventures haven't been too drastic. The point of all this is that stuff happens,

Mary

Wonderful post (and so true) - thank you!

As you may or may not know, cruise lines work under a totally different set of rules than companies in the United States. you may want to look into taxation, etc. for cruise lines - you will likely be surprised at how different they are. Then, when you have time, take a good look at the Regent contract. It basically says that they are not responsible for anything unless something happens to their ships. So, what Regent does for their passengers is above and beyond what they are required to do (by far).

They do not "outsource" hotel or airlines but rather contract for a certain number of rooms or seats on fights. If Regent (or any other cruise line) suddenly became responsible for errors that airlines or hotels make, it would be a problem.

It would have been impossible for Regent to react to the hotels mistake when they did not know about it until after Regent guests were being displaced. And, we have no idea what the TS thinks at this point as they have not returned to this thread.

What does where a company is incorporated have to do with service?? Taxes do not matter. In fact they do outsource. They offer an allinclusive product and have multiple vendors provide the services.

Even Regebt themselves said they are ultimately accountable.

I believe the majority of folks here believe Regent should ,are things right and many also believe they would.

The deflection tactics of legal documents, using airlines when it suits and saying One can't compare Regent to airlines when it doesn't suit ( eg priority boarding) ihas been fascinating.

As you may or may not know, cruise lines work under a totally different set of rules than companies in the United States. you may want to look into taxation, etc. for cruise lines - you will likely be surprised at how different they are. Then, when you have time, take a good look at the Regent contract. It basically says that they are not responsible for anything unless something happens to their ships. So, what Regent does for their passengers is above and beyond what they are required to do (by far).

They do not "outsource" hotel or airlines but rather contract for a certain number of rooms or seats on fights. If Regent (or any other cruise line) suddenly became responsible for errors that airlines or hotels make, it would be a problem.

It would have been impossible for Regent to react to the hotels mistake when they did not know about it until after Regent guests were being displaced. And, we have no idea what the TS thinks at this point as they have not returned to this thread.

What does where a company is incorporated have to do with service?? Taxes do not matter. In fact they do outsource. They offer an allinclusive product and have multiple vendors provide the services.

Even Regebt themselves said they are ultimately accountable.

I believe the majority of folks here believe Regent should ,are things right and many also believe they would.

The deflection tactics of legal documents, using airlines when it suits and saying One can't compare Regent to airlines when it doesn't suit ( eg priority boarding) ihas been fascinating.

Edited by Travelcat2
The post is so messed up, I could reply properly.

Lynnruns - no. matter what I do, I cannot fix your post because I cannot determine what you wrote or what I wrote or ???. So, let me help. When you want to reply to a specific post, simply hit "Reply" and make sure that your response is below the "

". Otherwise, it gets super confusing. So, unfortunately, I was not able to decipher your post. Strongly suggest that you reread it.

In any case after this thread got out of control, I referred posters to the contract. Despite what Regent may do or say to help customers, the bottom line is that they are not legally responsible! I urge you to read the contract.

As strange as it may be, I agree with CruisetheC's .......this thread is dead and should remain that way! I simply cannot defend everything that I post (nor should I have to).

P.S. jsoumello - your post made gave me a good laugh. Sometimes I do sound like I work for Regent but I do not -- just a long time customer that gets upset when they are blamed for everything that happens - whether it be with an airline, hotel or ???. As a matter of interest (or not), when CC changed their website I defended them and people thought that I worked for CC.

The thread would be dead if someone didn't always have to have the last word. There should be only one more post on this thread and that is when the TD tells us what Regent's response was. Hope all agree.

The thread would be dead if someone didn't always have to have the last word. There should be only one more post on this thread and that is when the TD tells us what Regent's response was. Hope all agree.

I agree, can't wait for the TD only to give an answer. I know this is a post but I had to agree....Sorry:)

Not sure whom you are accusing but I didn't post one word after CruisetheC's post (until someone else posted). I always invite someone to have the last word but I may be the only one that tries to stop posting. In the world of cruising and internet boards, it really makes little difference. Heck, I tried to end the thread last night and it didn't work. As others typically say (not so much on the Regent board but on other boards), if someone doesn't want to read this thread, perhaps they should not click on it.

Personally, the only posts that I am interested in are those that discuss the issues - not ones that bash Regent or posters.

Good evening all. OP here for final update. Regent offered a satisfactory solution to the forever to be known as the “Fairmont Fiasco”. Though I will never cross the threshold of one of their properties again. The Regent onboard staff,as well as I’m sure corporate, took the matter very seriously and their concern showed in their communications. The Mariner is beautiful, officers and staff welcoming and gracious. We arrive in Sitka tomorrow for our first port in AK. Looking forward to our remaining 7 days ahead. Thanks to all that offered kind words.

Mary

How did the captain manage to dock in Mongolia? The ship must be special.

It would be really great if Luv2Cruise1016 could start a new thread, dealing with the cruise and what they are seeing/doing etc so we could then file all this one in the "bin". I for one am very keen to know how the cruise is going as it happens...