Do you have experience with Joe Bananas Limos?

travelbug615

I am thinking of booking with Joe Bananas Limos. I am wanting feedback from people that have used this company. I know they provide a driver that can "talk about the area" while we are in the vehicle, but is not a true guide at sites visited.

I am thinking about using their shore excursion tours to Rome as well as Pompeii/ Amalfi Coast. For anyone that has used this company did the driver just drop you off and tell you where he would pick you up? Did the driver walk around sites with you? Where you satisfied with the information given by your driver?

Yes, we used Joe Banana Limos, aka Italy tour sharing, last year for our Mediterranean cruise. We used them in Florence (did Florence/Pisa); in Rome (best of Rome with Vatican); and in Amalfi for Pompeii and Amalfi coast.

We were extremely happy with their service!

To answer your questions...

The drivers are very knowledgeable and will tell you a lot about the area you are visiting. Yes, they will drop you off at locations you want to explore and tell you when and where they will pick you up. They will also give you tips. they do not walk around with you. They give you free time to spend as you wish.

For our tour in Rome, we did the Best of Rome with Vatican, guide included. It was worth it! The guide got the tickets and got us to skip the lines (the line was so long that it was wrapping around the Vatican wall that day!).

For the Amalfi/Pompeii, the driver again told us about the area and dropped us off at Pompeii. He told us what time he would pick us up and where. You can also book a guide for Pompeii ahead of time with them and they'll have the guide waiting for you when you get off the vehicle.

and speaking of vehicles, they picked us up in Mercedes vans. they were clean, with A/C and fresh water. Most of the vehicles also have free WiFi.

Like you, before I traveled last year, I asked a lot of questions on tour groups. Joe Banana is one of the top companies recommended here and on other travel sites. I was very happy with the decision to go with this tour company! :)

Us too. We used them for a land tour several years ago in Rome, with drivers (13 people) and guide. We used them again with driver only this summer for Civita Bagnoregio and Orvieto. Driver only will talk about general knowledge items, but not necessarily a lot of detail, will drop you off at the entry and pick you up at a designated time. I think they may actually not be allowed to enter with you. Yes, the vans were clean, good AC, had water bottles, kleenex, for each passenger. I'd definitely recommend them.

I just used them for three tours a couple weeks ago and they were fantastic! I couldn’t possibly recommend them more. The drivers were incredibly knowledgeable and spoke English extremely well. Everything was well organized and they kept to a schedule like pros.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have used Joe Bananas/Italytoursharing twice. The first time 2014 was on the Amalfi Coast (Sorrento, Positano and Ravello). We had a wonderful driver/guide who was very knowledgeable and personable. The second time was in 2016 for Lucca and Florence after a last minute port call change from Livorno to La Spezia. Our driver/guide was a last minute change but you would have never known that. He answered all questions and pointed us in the right direction. He was excellent!

• 2 weeks later...

I have used Joe Banana Limos on our cruise last month and our previous one when we had stops in Italy. Their pick-ups are on time, and in clean Mercedes vans. The drivers are typically knowledgeable and friendly. Out most recent trip was out of Naples for a boat ride to Capri. I set the tour up and then put a number of people I wanted, to keep it small. We always make new friends along the way.

We had a long drive to the port to get to our boat to take us to Capri. We had a very rough day at sea, so not exactly what we hoped for, but it was beautiful, the different grottos we say were incredibly beautiful.

We were served prosecco and snacks aboard before we got off in Capri to shop and explore. The boat ride back was much smoother and we had our driver meet us in another spot so we didn't have another long bumpy ride. We had limoncello on our ride back. That is always a treat.

The trip I had done before was on the Amalfi Coast and it was wonderful, our driver helpful and full of info to share with us. It was a great day with breathtaking photos along the way.

I would recommend the firm anytime in Italy.

We used them a few years ago for Naples (incl Pompeii). We hired a guide at Pompeii (recommended by Rick Steves), but the driver was our guide for all other sights. I loved them and would definitely use them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have used many tour operators now and keep coming back to joe banana limos. My very favourite tour with them and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND is the amalfi coast (Naples port) where they take you to Positano, Sorrento and Ravello. You stop for a family lunch at La Taglianno.. I have posted on here many times that it is my very favourite and highly recommend. For this tour, you basically are dropped off at all the places with a meeting point.

I have use them for Rome Highlights as well and the driver stayed with us and described all the sights. We also stopped at an off the beat family style restaurant in Rome that was excellent. I wish I could remember the name. I may email them and ask as I am going back to Rome in 2019. This year it is Greece, Croatia and the Bari area (Matera/Alberobello). Leave in 4 days :) whoohoo... But back to Joe Bananas- AWESOME!! they are why I fell in love with Italy!!

• 2 weeks later...

We used Joe Bananas recently (May 2018) for a tour from Catania up to Mt. Etna and then on to Taormina. We had a wonderful guide and a lovely day. Bear in mind: it may be warm down in the port but bring a cover-up for Mt. Etna because it can be cold there!

Our guide, Luca, recommended a restaurant to us for lunch which was a bit off the beaten track but wonderful. Since we'd been to Taormina only a few months earlier we opted for lunch there. His place was a wonderful suggestion.

Highly recommended!

Mura

We used Joe Banana Limos on two occasions at Salerno and Naples on a recent cruise of the Mediterranean.

On both tours, the two drivers, Massimo and Nunzio, were great. They obviously knew the tour area but they drove carefully (of great comfort for those of us in the back seats !!), were sympathetic to the touring parties needs and requests, were professional - and were on time !

The vehicles they used were Mercedes transit vans - which were comfortable for our touring party of 8 on both occasions, were clean and appeared to be in good mechanical condition (again, very comforting).

The tours represented good value for money compared to the ship's tours.

I have no reservations in recommending that others at least consider or actually use Joe Banana Limos for their tours.

• Like 1

For those of you who did Joe Banana's Positano, Amalfi and Ravello tour...Did you have enough time in each of those towns to feel a part of it? Enough time to wander, sit and eat/drink, people watch and maybe shop a bit? We had lunch a few years ago high above Positano and it was glorious but now I want to be in the towns and wander on my own and soak it all up. Thanks!

• Like 1

For those of you who did Joe Banana's Positano, Amalfi and Ravello tour...Did you have enough time in each of those towns to feel a part of it? Enough time to wander, sit and eat/drink, people watch and maybe shop a bit? We had lunch a few years ago high above Positano and it was glorious but now I want to be in the towns and wander on my own and soak it all up. Thanks!

Hi - on our tour there was time for lunch, a coffee and people watching but the stop over in each location was not excessive and there were time limits. It depends somewhat on who is in your tour group.

If everyone agrees to spend a longer time in a particular location, the JBL driver/guide appeared amenable to meeting that request - but he also had a timeline and an itinerary to complete.

Best to email JBL, tell them what you want to do and see what they can offer. They are very responsive and helpful.

Trust that assists.

Regards

Jim

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We just had a fabulous tour with Joe Banana! Sorrento! Took us to small family owned businesses.......Olive Oil factory with 30 oil tastings (of course sent a box full of oils home). Hands on making mozzarella with lots of tastings! Hands on making pizza in small restaurant on hillside ( eating lots of pizza). A visit to a Gelato place that was the best and a two hour tour of Pompi! Great day long tour! Excellent guide and a beautiful van!

• Like 1

Like some, we were cautious about using an online tour company for the first time and read many reviews before deciding on Joe Bananas Limos through their italytoursharing.come website. We organised an 8 passenger group for their tour SAL003: Pompeii with guide, Positano and Amalfi out of Salerno and had an absolutely wonderful day from start to finish - we can't recommend them highly enough (and already have!). Our driver Ciro was waiting for us as we disembarked the ship and was charming and considerate throughout. He was obviously familiar with and expertly drove the very narrow coastal roads in the area. Ciro was very knowledgeable about all the areas we visited, answered any questions from the group and didn't feel that he had to talk all the time - a VERY good thing in my books! Our guide at Pompeii, Roberto, was amazing. He was very funny without being disrespectful, inclusive of all in the group and obviously passionate about his job and the site without lecturing to us - I will always remember that awesome visit to Pompeii. When having time on our own, Ciro asked us how long we would each prefer to spend at each point, after giving us information on each stop. We were always shown where and when to meet back at the meeting point and any recommendations he had for that stop. He was also very reassuring when it came to making sure that were back in good time for the ship's sailing schedule.

Bottom line - If Joe Bananas can do a tour you want at a price you are happy with, I suggest that you book it and leave it to them - in a few words: professional, dependable, worry-free and very enjoyable.

• Like 1

I am thinking of booking with Joe Bananas Limos. I am wanting feedback from people that have used this company. I know they provide a driver that can "talk about the area" while we are in the vehicle, but is not a true guide at sites visited.

I am thinking about using their shore excursion tours to Rome as well as Pompeii/ Amalfi Coast. For anyone that has used this company did the driver just drop you off and tell you where he would pick you up? Did the driver walk around sites with you? Where you satisfied with the information given by your driver?

I have used them on three tours in Italy and we enjoyed each one.

Drivers are very knowledgeable and while none of them are "official tour guides" they were terrific.

Some sites they can walk with you and others they cannot.

I highly recommend them.

Keith

• Like 1

Yes, took the tour with them in 2014.

Excellent tour.

The good thing is since it is private you can change it up. Spend more time in one place and less in another.

We had sufficient time at each town we stopped at.

It was a wonderful day.

Keith

Hello. Used them for 3 trips recently on our Crown Princess Med Cruise. Used them for "Florence in Full", "Sorento & Naples" and "Mt Etna/Taormina". Vans are modern, comfortable and have Air-Con. Drivers friendly & knowledgeable - communication good and commentary also very good. Itineraries good. Overall, very happy. Drivers were waiting at the Ports when we got there and very easy to find. Much rather use these guys than get ripped off by Princess.

Hello. Used them for 3 trips recently on our Crown Princess Med Cruise. Used them for "Florence in Full", "Sorento & Naples" and "Mt Etna/Taormina". Vans are modern, comfortable and have Air-Con. Drivers friendly & knowledgeable - communication good and commentary also very good. Itineraries good. Overall, very happy. Drivers were waiting at the Ports when we got there and very easy to find. Much rather use these guys than get ripped off by Princess.

We were on the Crown last month and used them for 3 ports. Did a fine job at each one. Would use them again next cruise for Sicily but they do not service port we will be going to

Has anyone used them for a group larger than 8? We are a group of 9 and seem to be having trouble finding tours outside of ship excursions that can keep us together.

Thanks!

Yes. All of the three tours that I used them for were for more than 8. The largest was 22 people. They can definitely accommodate large groups. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to email them. They are extremely responsive. Just be aware there is a time difference, so they may not get back to you until the next day.

Hi Over from NZ, could you give a little bit of detail about the Mt Etna part of the Mt Etna/Taormina of your tour, how long did you spend there, were you able to walk to the top of the crater etc? T I would love to hear a first hand account before I email them with a few other questions I have.

Many thanks.

Not much to add to the above posters, they describe JBL tours to a tee, great company and tours. We used them 3 times during our Med cruise: Florence- Pisa and Florence, Salerno- Positano, Ravello and Pompeii w/guide, Messina- Taormina and Godfather tour. I highly recommend them.

• 2 weeks later...

We have done a few private tours with Joe Bananas which were organised by other passengers on our cruise...I would recommend this company as we were well looked after and they made sure that we were back on the ship, before our time of departure....Our driver on each of our tours was most informative and being a small group we were able to access places that the larger organised ship tours could not possibly reach....so yes this is a reliable company

We did our first Joe Bananas tour in May (from Catania to Mt. Etna and Taormina) and it was excellent. Since then I've seen nothing but positive reviews about this company. There was ONE that complained about the time in the car which happened to be the same tour we did.

Yes, there was significant driving time, both in getting to Mt. Etna and then driving on to Taormina. But it was very clear in the information we received what the driving time would be.

From everything I have read here, I wouldn't hesitate to book them again -- even if we hadn't already had a wonderful tour day a couple of months ago.

Mura

• 2 weeks later...

We used Joe Bananas/Italy tour sharing for a trip along the Amalfi coast from Salerno port in July and the whole experience was excellent. We joined a group through cruise critic to do the tour and everything ran smoothly. The driver/guide was there to meet us as expected and he was very informative the whole day. They chose a restaurant above Ravello for us all to have a family style lunch which was a highlight. You are in the van a long time during the trip but the driver was careful and stopped at various places for us to take photos and walk around. The whole day was brilliant and we got back to port in plenty of time for sail away.