Refrigerator

Wait, what rooms don’t have one?!?

Radiance class, Voyager class, Freedom class, Oasis class, and Quantum class ships = every cabin has one.

Vision class ships & the Majesty = interior and oceanview cabins do NOT have one. (except the new Panoramic View OV cabins)

If one is needed for medication is there a charge for it?

As stated, there is no charge for a refrigerator for medication. The so-called fridges in the cabins are primarily storage space. They do not get very cold and I would never trust them for medication that's needed to be stored at a certain cold temperature. Bring a fridge thermometer with you, if you can, to verify the fridge's temp before you use it, or trust it.

We have found, that if you leave the wooden cabinet door open, (door on the front of the refrigerator cabinet), that the little refrigerators cool much better. You just have to try not to run into them at night, in the dark, when going to the loo.

Refrigerators are heat pumps, pumping the heat from inside of the refrigerator to the outside. Unfortunately, RCCL has put the refrigerators in little wooden boxes (cabinets) that make removal of the heat difficult.

On Oasis and Allure, they unfortunately attached the wood doors to the outside of the refrigerator door, with a plastic strap. This trick won't work in that case.

I don't know what kind of medication your are referring to, OP, but have a back-up plan!

I requested a fridge on the Rhapsody last month by email from special needs, and the fridge did not work. We still had my husband's insulin in baggies of ice from the hotel, but finally had to give his supply to Housekeeping for storage in their refrigerator.

They froze it. It became insul-ice garbage.

The ship's doctor had a fit over this, gave us 2 bottles, and had another two delivered from a pharmacy at our next port the following day. He started training the staff that day, too.

Got a new fridge that worked the rest of the cruise, but it was too late for his original supply. We also had a mini-cooler we bought for the trip (we were gone for a month), but it only holds 6 bottles.

We will never let hubby's insulin out of our sight again.

Yes!! Thank you! Why can’t folks read the damn packaging? Most insulin is good atvriom temp for 28 days.

Well, we did. If you aren’t going to use the insulin within 28 days, you have to refrigerate it. If you are traveling for FIVE months, you have to refrigerate it, too.

Are you always this rude?

Well, we did. If you aren’t going to use the insulin within 28 days, you have to refrigerate it. If you are traveling for FIVE months, you have to refrigerate it, too.

Got a new fridge that worked the rest of the cruise, but it was too late for his original supply. We also had a mini-cooler we bought for the trip (we were gone for a month), but it only holds 6 bottles.

Are you??

Sure but who said anything about 5 months?

Just got off Liberty and there was a label on the refrigerator that stated "Minimum temp set to 55f". There was no temp adjustment on the inside or outside of the refrigerator. My question to RCCL is what is the point of an in room refrigerator when the lowest temp is only 55f/13c. Take it out and give us more storage space.

Just got off Liberty and there was a label on the refrigerator that stated "Minimum temp set to 55f". There was no temp adjustment on the inside or outside of the refrigerator. My question to RCCL is what is the point of an in room refrigerator when the lowest temp is only 55f/13c. Take it out and give us more storage space.

Min temp 55 means it isn't above 55

• 4 weeks later...
[/color][/font]

Are you??

Yes, when someone uses foul language directed at me on a public internet forum. Just a personality quirk, I guess.

Originally posted by gobo2

Yes!! Thank you! Why can’t folks read the damn packaging? Most insulin is good atvriom temp for 28 days.

Sure but who said anything about 5 months?

I was referring to our specific situation that required a longer storage period, and that we had a problem with the fridge in the cabin. I didn't feel it was necessary to give the details of our travel plans, but rather focused on the need to have a back-up plan if your medication (whatever medication, for whatever period of time) requires refrigeration. The need for refrigeration is specific to the medication and length of time away from refrigeration. Having a back-up plan in these circumstances is vital, not the length of time one is traveling.

Are you talking about the dorm cube thing in every cabin or a specially ordered medical refrigerator? The cubes were meant to hold only the beverages and snacks that they used to put in the cabins for sale. They did not need to be kept cold.