P & O Alcohol Policy

fastnloose

This thread is making one smile with disbelief.

There are people blatantly evidencing their intent of widespread systematic abuse of the 'new' (restricted) P&O Alcohol Policy, which P&O brought in because of blatant systematic and widespread abuse of a previous adult (unrestricted) P&O policy on Alcohol.

These people will not give up until the next P&O Alcohol Policy is one of zero tolerance, will then pleased their innocence, implicate others, and will still try every way known to abuse it.

One begs the question as to why?

There are people blatantly evidencing their intent of widespread systematic abuse of the 'new' (restricted) P&O Alcohol Policy, which P&O brought in because of blatant systematic and widespread abuse of a previous adult (unrestricted) P&O policy on Alcohol.

These people will not give up until the next P&O Alcohol Policy is one of zero tolerance, will then pleased their innocence, implicate others, and will still try every way known to abuse it.

I have to agree fully with your statement.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you think this is bad some of the American lines forums have full on guides on how to smuggle, rum runners etc. I never knew what a rum runner was until I read the Princess boards.

If you think this is bad some of the American lines forums have full on guides on how to smuggle, rum runners etc. I never knew what a rum runner was until I read the Princess boards.

I have never heard of them until I read your post so I googled them. Amazon site came up with

Amazon.co.uk: rum runner

www.amazon.co.uk › Searchrum runner

Product Features... events - They make the perfect rum runners and are ideal for smuggling ...

it has never occurred to me that people would go to these lengths.

I have never heard of them until I read your post so I googled them. Amazon site came up with

Amazon.co.uk: rum runner

www.amazon.co.uk › Searchrum runner

Product Features... events - They make the perfect rum runners and are ideal for smuggling ...

it has never occurred to me that people would go to these lengths.

OMG, I’m amazed and realise what a sheltered life I’ve led!! Who’d have thought the lengths some people will go to to get drink aboard!,

I find drink prices on P&O ships very reasonable plus there is a really good choice of wine. So when it comes to consuming alcohol on board, best to buy it on board the ship. I see no reason to test the restrictions by taking your own.

I find drink prices on P&O ships very reasonable plus there is a really good choice of wine. So when it comes to consuming alcohol on board, best to buy it on board the ship. I see no reason to test the restrictions by taking your own.

Absolutely correct.

We did used to like to buy a bottle of wine at some ports which we would then drink on the balcony on sea days but on our last cruise we stuck to the new rules and simply went to a bar to get a glass of wine if we fancied one on a sea afternoon, as you say cheap enough.

We took on a bottle of wine and a bottle of bubbly for our one week cruise.It was just right- enough for a glass each on the balcony before dinner.We then bought drinks on board which were very reasonable.

I have been on AI holidays before and can honestly say I preferred the drinks on the cruise.Proper spirits,well served- just the job.

Eve

I hope you are not referring to the 0.25 ltr. of extra wine between two people. I can assure you this is because I would rather pack a box as two bottles.

I agree absolutely. The only time I buy alcohol on shore is in the Caribbean. I am partial to a good bourbon like Bookers or Blantons which is difficult to find in the UK and where an inflated price is usually charged. In the Caribbean it is widely available in Sint Maarten etc and is priced for the US market. But I never open it onboard so would have no problem with P&O taking care of it whilst I was on the ship.

If you drink wine or spirits then they are. If you only drink lager, bitter etc then they are not. You can get a bottle of say Peroni in a supermarket for about £1.30, onboard this will be nearer £4.00. That is obviously for only 1 drink.

Again it all comes down to what you drink, people who drink spirits it hardly matters as 1 bottle will last the duration of the cruise. People who only drink beer will have to either not bother or pay significantly more.

If you drink wine or spirits then they are. If you only drink lager, bitter etc then they are not. You can get a bottle of say Peroni in a supermarket for about £1.30, onboard this will be nearer £4.00. That is obviously for only 1 drink.

Again it all comes down to what you drink, people who drink spirits it hardly matters as 1 bottle will last the duration of the cruise. People who only drink beer will have to either not bother or pay significantly more.

Actually I'm a beer drinker and we were paying £3.61 for cans of Speckled Hen, obviously you can get it cheaper from a supermarket but I think that's very reasonable considering the prices hotels and other lines charge.:D

Actually I'm a beer drinker and we were paying £3.61 for cans of Speckled Hen, obviously you can get it cheaper from a supermarket but I think that's very reasonable considering the prices hotels and other lines charge.:D

You shouldn't compare supermarket prices with those on board, the ship IS NOT a supermarket. You need to compare like for like. So compare the price of a can or bottle in a pub/restaurant with what you pay on board.

You shouldn't compare supermarket prices with those on board, the ship IS NOT a supermarket. You need to compare like for like. So compare the price of a can or bottle in a pub/restaurant with what you pay on board.

If you read my post I 100% agree with what you are saying !!

Although, some others appear not to fully appreciate the point that we both agree on.

BTW, Just to reinforce the point we are trying to make, I have just looked up the price of Stella at a famous Italian restaurant chain that we all know and they charge £4.29 for 330ml :o

Edited by P-L-B

If you read my post I 100% agree with what you are saying !!

Although, some others appear not to fully appreciate the point that we both agree on.

BTW, Just to reinforce the point we are trying to make, I have just looked up the price of Stella at a famous Italian restaurant chain that we all know and they charge £4.29 for 330ml :o

Just a thought though. Don’t uk establishments have to pay tax on alcohol and ships don’t?[emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just a thought though. Don’t uk establishments have to pay tax on alcohol and ships don’t?[emoji848]

Interesting point, not sure about ships not paying tax on alcohol.

Perhaps someone could enlighten us.:confused:

My husband works for the customs and his reply is yes and no. Depending where the ship is, depending if you are cruising within the EU or not.

Kat

If this is true, P&O and indeed other cruise lines are making a fortune out of alcohol and our local pubs are paying through the nose.

If this is true, P&O and indeed other cruise lines are making a fortune out of alcohol and our local pubs are paying through the nose.

I agree with you, but we are where we are with that situation even though it may be wrong in principle.:(

I think the point being made IMO is the price P&O charge for their drinks are reasonable compared with what you can/do pay in some Hotels, Pubs, Restaurants and other cruise lines, and is one of the things we like about cruising with them. :)

The point both myself and P-L-B are making are that drinks prices on board are reasonable. I have no issue with that at all. People are saying I don't know why you would take spirits/wine etc on to consume in your cabin when the prices they charge on board are reasonable and you don't save much.

My point is that if you wanted to drink beer in your cabin then this wouldn't be the case as if you had one drink per day then this would cost in the region of £40-£50 more on a 14 day cruise.

If you are a spirit drinker and just wanting to save money, then taking small cans of tonic or other mixers on board saves you much more than an extra bottle of gin or whisky.

I for one am pleased with the change of policy. Last year we did a 12 night cruise then stayed onboard for the following 3 nighter. The 12 nighter was wonderful, the three nighter was horrendous with drunk revellers at all times of the day and when women were throwing up (due to drink, not the weather) in the main dining room I vowed never to be on a 'booze cruise' again.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

And a good thought it is. As a distillery employee I knew the true value of distilled spirits not subjected to taxes and duties. The first poured drink from a newly opened bottle aboard a ship at sea pays for the entire bottle itself. The ships should be able to make a very handsome profit at selling drinks at half the current prices.

A good part of the cost of a drink at home goes into the government coffers in the form of taxes and duty where conceivably it is meant to do some good. If the ship wishes to charge the same prices as those ashore and pocket the excessive amounts, then perhaps government taxes and duty should be applied to alcohol consumption on board. Then "home prices" would make sense.

• 2 months later...

Spirit drinkers check out the room service prices for 750mil bottles of branded spirits, they are less than the average UK supermarket, so you are not gonna save a penny by bringing it on with you at embarkation, plus the hassle of packing and carrying it.

With regards to the logistics of checking 2000 peoples bags for alcohol whilst trying to embark them in a short time frame from a foreign port just doesn't work. I work at an Airport, and passenger flow is always more of a concern, than trivia like smuggling on the odd bottle of wine.

So until I see an enormous slow moving queue when I am getting back on board, I will not believe that they will enforce it, they will just rely on people being worried about losing their booze.

Spirit drinkers check out the room service prices for 750mil bottles of branded spirits, they are less than the average UK supermarket, so you are not gonna save a penny by bringing it on with you at embarkation, plus the hassle of packing and carrying it.

With regards to the logistics of checking 2000 peoples bags for alcohol whilst trying to embark them in a short time frame from a foreign port just doesn't work. I work at an Airport, and passenger flow is always more of a concern, than trivia like smuggling on the odd bottle of wine.

So until I see an enormous slow moving queue when I am getting back on board, I will not believe that they will enforce it, they will just rely on people being worried about losing their booze.

We were on Britannia a few weeks ago and it wasn't enforced. I put 4 660ml bottles of Peroni in my suitcase and it was fine. Also when we stopped at Barcelona I got 8 small cans of San Miguel and carried them onto the ship. The table was there to declare alcohol but there was nobody by it.

To be honest it was only really enforced in Gibraltar where it seemed the whole ship bought alcohol and had to check it in. There were about 20 staff taking it and packing it up. I would suggest getting the alcohol in the terminal as soon as you get off and check it in straight away as it's cheaper there anyway and it will save a lot of time. We departed about 30 minutes late due to the alcohol being taken from passengers.