Card & Board Games

speeb

Greetings, all. New fellow here who has never cruised (lifelong aversion to motion), but a friend talked me into joining he and his wife next April. My wife and I don't drink, nor are we huge pool/beach folk. So just considering ship time, I figured I'd pack a few small games that 2-6 (or more) people could play.

A few that I'm considering:

• Love Letter
  • Sushi Go
  • The Metagame
  • What Do You Meme?
  • Bananagrams

I've actually only played Love Letter and Sushi Go, so otherwise I'm just picking at Amazon/BGG. I guess I could pack up something like Forbidden Island pretty small.

Any recommendations? What games do you take on board or find travel easily?

My spouse has convinced me to not bring any games with us as there is likely no way to pull together enough people who would want to play.

Having said that, I was aiming to bring The Resistance and Coup, specifically because they travel well and are good with new players. I night also have considered one of the Tiny Epic games. I already own Tiny Epic Western.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

My spouse has convinced me to not bring any games with us as there is likely no way to pull together enough people who would want to play.

Having said that, I was aiming to bring The Resistance and Coup, specifically because they travel well and are good with new players. I night also have considered one of the Tiny Epic games. I already own Tiny Epic Western.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

Oh right! I had thought about Tiny Epic Galaxy too!

I think I'll pick up Coup this weekend and give it a go.

Princess has an area designated for games on sea days. It is listed in the Princess Patter. They have decks of cards and some board games. There are usually groups playing Bridge and Maj Jong among others.

Greetings, all. New fellow here who has never cruised (lifelong aversion to motion), but a friend talked me into joining he and his wife next April. My wife and I don't drink, nor are we huge pool/beach folk. So just considering ship time, I figured I'd pack a few small games that 2-6 (or more) people could play.

• Love Letter
  • Sushi Go
  • The Metagame
  • What Do You Meme?
  • Bananagrams

I've actually only played Love Letter and Sushi Go, so otherwise I'm just picking at Amazon/BGG. I guess I could pack up something like Forbidden Island pretty small.

I have never heard of any of these games.

We usually bring a deck of cards, dice, and left center right on cruises with multiple sea days.

Lois

I have never heard of any of these games.
That's the quandary for me... Few people are familiar with modern tabletop gaming and make seem to adopt by default a negative disputation toward the type of games that typically win accolades, such as the Spiel des Jahres, these days. For folks who have been introduced to modern tabletop games and let them become their favorites, playing the more "traditional" games is almost a chore.

Princess has an area designated for games on sea days. It is listed in the Princess Patter. They have decks of cards and some board games. There are usually groups playing Bridge and Maj Jong among others.

Many on Princess enjoy the above ... especially on At Sea Days! :)

We just cruised with a small group and one of them brought pegs and jokers. We played several afternoons and had many people come up to us and ask about the game so I think you might find interest from people wanting to play a game.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

I found myself at my local game store and Toys R Us this afternoon and added Smash Up, Nature Fluxx, and Mobi to the household collection!

Those who haven't heard of any of these games... board and card games are experiencing a really incredible period right now. There is SO much available. You can get something like Love Letter for $10 (it's only 16 cards), King of Tokyo is like Yahtzee with giant monsters, Sushi Go is quick, cute, and easy... then you can spend hours (and lots of money) on more strategic stuff as well.

• Love Letter
  • Sushi Go
  • The Metagame
  • What Do You Meme?
  • Bananagrams

We love to play Scrabble

That's the quandary for me... Few people are familiar with modern tabletop gaming and make seem to adopt by default a negative disputation toward the type of games that typically win accolades, such as the Spiel des Jahres, these days. For folks who have been introduced to modern tabletop games and let them become their favorites, playing the more "traditional" games is almost a chore.

Wow, the typos were in full force yesterday.

Translation: That's the quandary for me... Few people are familiar with modern tabletop gaming and many seem to adopt by default a negative attitude toward the type of games that typically win accolades, such as the Spiel des Jahres, these days. For folks who have been introduced to modern tabletop games and let them become their favorites, playing the more "traditional" games is almost a chore.

While "new" game seem to explode on the scene and gain great popularity, few in past decades seem to have much staying power - and many fade away within a couple of years --- Uno and Othello being rare exceptions. Old standbys -,Scrabble and Backgammon seem to go on forever.

While "new" game seem to explode on the scene and gain great popularity, few in past decades seem to have much staying power - and many fade away within a couple of years
It's hard to say what the future will be for games, since we cannot see 80 years into the future and know whether newer games are still (or perhaps more) popular. Keep in mind that there were other games 80 years ago, games we know nothing about today.

However, even more importantly, what we've seen happen with many aspects of culture and society is a dilution of the significance of the "classic". In other words, it isn't a matter of there being a game that effectively replaces Scrabble in its place in the pantheon, but rather the pantheon itself is laid low by the popularity of what appeals to people at any specific time and the explosion on options that modern times allows.

Music is a great example. One of the things we see people complaining about here on CC often is how the music they like is gone from cruise ships, after seemingly having stuck around for decades. The "classics" are not losing their classic status. Rather "classic" is losing its primacy in favor of innovation and contemporary sensibilities (as much as that causes a small set of folks emotional distress). What is "classic" now, and probably into the future, is appreciating modern music, modern artists, since we have so much more access to such a wide variety of creators now.

The same thing is happening with food: Menus have just as many choices as before, if not more, but the old standbys, like classical French cuisine, are slowly being pushed out by the opening up of the menu to multitudes of different cuisines that people now prefer.

I think we're going to eventually see this with games as well, but not quite as fast. Modern games-makers aren't doing that great a job, I think, with regard to games simple enough to play with children. There are a few, but it isn't like how rock music supplanted swing and big band music, or how Asian cuisine has taken its rightful place in the realm of fine dining. 80 years from now, Scrabble, bridge, and poker might be the only games for adults from 80 years ago that anyone still plays. Meanwhile, people will be mostly playing games that haven't even been dreamed up yet, and perhaps are such that we don't even have the technology yet to make such games viable products.

And of all these aspects of culture, I think games will be most affected by technology. I think the impact of technology on music and food will be modest by comparison to the impact on games in the future.

• 10 months later...

I love playing Spider Solitaire and after playing for sometime you get a feel for which version, program or whatever you like best.  It is a good thing that my grandkids have not discovered this app on my phone or I would have to fight for a turn.