We are doing a cruise in July with a stop at Sibenik. We are due to be there from 9:00am to 6:00pm. We wondered what there is there worth doing. We’re not particularly looking for a tour, just to see any sights worth seeing in and around the town.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Grandma.

We visited Sibenik on a road-trip last year.

Perhaps we hadn't researched deeply enough but we didn't find much to see.

The old part of town is clustered around Katedrala svetog Jakova (St James cathedral), near the waterfront, but neither it (more a church than a cathedral) nor the quite small old-town area had much appeal to us.

A few thoughts....

- a lazy day in town, mainly people-watching from an outside bar or café table in the St James' area.

- boat trips to Krka Nat Park (Skradin) are offered from Sibenik. If available, worth considering just for a pleasant boat ride there and back. (we went by road & were disappointed by the Nat Park itself - IMHO more suited for a family day out for locals than as a tourist attraction)

- see late in this thread

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2523928

for a (ship-sponsored) tour to Primosten & Trogir. The route includes some beautiful coastline (a different perspective compared to the views from your ship) around Primosten, and Trogir is attractive, different, and interesting.

That tour included Primosten Burnji (various spellings), the poster seems to have found it interesting

- if that tour isn't offered by your ship, consider renting a car to DIY the same route

https://goo.gl/maps/ZfNxajpNCCt

Total driving time about 2 hours, should give you plenty of time to explore Trogir and for photo-stops and refreshment stops.

But Primosten Burnji (we didn't visit) is well off-the-beaten-track, might get you lost, and seems to be suited to pre-arranged group visits rather than on-spec visits, so best give that place a miss.

- if Split isn't a port-of-call on your cruise itinerary, it's little more than an hour away. Well worth a ship's tour or "Split-on-you-own" transfer. Or by some other means - shared tour with fellow passengers or rent a car. Old town, centred on the Diocletian's Palace, is only a short walk from cruise berths, waaaaaay more interesting than Sibenik, and very easy to wander on foot.

A road trip along the Dalmatian coast doesn't make me an expert, but give some thought to those suggestions.

Beautiful country, lovely people.

JB :)

Thanks for posting. Very helpful and confirms what I thought from my research. The cruise isn’t going to Split, but we have been there before, so wouldn’t be interested in doing that. Trogir sounds more interesting - I’ll see if I can find a tour - or a boat trip to the National Park.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

If it isn't too late....

I only spotted this thread by chance as we have enjoyed two recent trips and I don't often have time to browse.

Because many other CCers will not be checking all forums several times a week, I find it useful to use the SEARCH THIS FORUM box which is just to the right of OTHER MEDITERRANEAN PORTS. By inserting the name(s) or what you are searching for, all threads containing these words will appear in the results and you can browse at leisure.

Sibenik is still relatively unknown, but there are a few threads, including this one, on which I posted a reply last year.

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2519404&highlight=sibenik