White Pass RR - Which way is forward?

PATRLR

I asked this question buried in another thread and didn't see an answer, so I decided to elevate it to its own thread.

What I read is that for the White Pass RR, you want to be on the left side going up and right side coming down. I am pretty sure left/right is as you face the direction the train is traveling. OK, so far so good.

When I board the train, how will I know which way it will be traveling? Are the engines always in front? I suspect not. When coming down, are the engines in the back? Maybe it will be obvious when I get there which way the train will be heading, but, until I see it, I don't know, hence the question. Thanks.

The front of the train is the end with the engine. They don't turn the train around in Skagway so sit on the left side in Skagway and sit on the right side up in Fraser. I left to stand out on the platform most of the trip, let wind blow and take in the sights.

The best excursion you can do if it's your first time is to take the bus up to Emerald Lake, have lunch at Caribou Crossing trading post, it's kind of a tourist trap but it's fun http://www.cariboucrossing.ca/ and then take the train back to Skagway. A lot of cruise ships have this on the excursion list, Chilkoot Charters and Tours puts on a nice excursion.https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60877-d1556687-Reviews-Chilkoot_Charters_Tours-Skagway_Alaska.html

Randy

The front of the train is the end with the engine. They don't turn the train around in Skagway so sit on the left side in Skagway and sit on the right side up in Fraser.

This implies they turn the train around in Fraser? Or move the engines from front to back?

The seats will face forward
If the seats always face forward, this implies they must turn the train around which contradicts at least partially, what Eaglecw said above.

I really appreciate the help, but unfortunately, I think I am now more confused.

As I remember, when we were disembarking in Fraser in 2012, the conductor told us they flipped the seats and actually showed us how they did it so they faced in the other direction and the engine was moved to the new front of the train.

As I remember, when we were disembarking in Fraser in 2012, the conductor told us they flipped the seats and actually showed us how they did it so they faced in the other direction and the engine was moved to the new front of the train.
That used to be standard on many trains. The seatbacks become the back of the seatbacks.

However, the photos I see of White Pass railroad cars don't look like the seatbacks are swapable in that way.

That used to be standard on many trains. The seatbacks become the back of the seatbacks.

However, the photos I see of White Pass railroad cars don't look like the seatbacks are swapable in that way.

Uh... but it shows all the seats facing in the same direction. Hmmmm

This message may have been entered via voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

• 3 weeks later...

To answer my question, all trips up and down that I saw, the engines were in the front of the train and it will be very obvious which is the right and left side. And I agree the right side going down, left side going up are the better sides, but, we ended up on the left going down and it was fine.

At the top, they move the engines from one end of the cars around to the other end. All the seats in the cars have backs that can rotate and I assume the train staff goes through the cars and rotates them all at the top or bottom.

DarkJedi is correct -- the seat backs flip over and are "swapable."

Just to be clear.

At the summit (and I'm pretty sure at Frasier) the wye is very short, allowing the engine(s) to turn around, but

not the consist. The cars go down the hill "in reverse gear" but with the seatbacks flipped.

The tracks are on the south slope of Skagway Valley, so you'll be looking out the north windows.