Nile cruising with Viking

cathy_kearns

We have signed up to cruise with Viking on their Ra ship in Nov 2020. Our TA says they we could move a year earlier on their other ship, the MS Antares. Does anyone know anything about this ship other than the floor plans/deck plans. I can’t find any pictures at all.

Both the Ra and the Antares are brand new to Viking. They just launched the Ra and the Antares was running a little behind and is launching in December. They retired the boat they have been using on the Nile. People were complaining about not getting on the Ra because it sold out so quickly. Viking just determined that the Antares is going to be completed by December and added new dates. I had booked the Ra in 2017 for a 2019 cruise. The Ra holds 52 passengers, all suites are 291 sq ft while the Antares holds 62 passengers and has suites from 290-829 sq ft. It also has a gym/health club which is unusual for the river cruises. The decor of both is very different from the European river cruises and I would not call it modern. Hope this helps you in your decision.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Both the Ra and the Antares are brand new to Viking. They just launched the Ra and the Antares was running a little behind and is launching in December. They retired the boat they have been using on the Nile. People were complaining about not getting on the Ra because it sold out so quickly. Viking just determined that the Antares is going to be completed by December and added new dates. I had booked the Ra in 2017 for a 2019 cruise. The Ra holds 52 passengers, all suites are 291 sq ft while the Antares holds 62 passengers and has suites from 290-829 sq ft. It also has a gym/health club which is unusual for the river cruises. The decor of both is very different from the European river cruises and I would not call it modern. Hope this helps you in your decision.

The Antares has been charted by Viking for some time, It is not owned by Viking. The Antares is much older. There has been some comments on this thread where people are unhappy with the Antares. It is not staffed by Viking staff, food is not Viking standard, silver spirits alcohol package is not included. Viking are offering some minimal compensation

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2602031

If you do a search for Amarco II Antares you will see the ship.

Currently Vikings website is showing photos of the new Ra for both Ra and the much older Antares.

I called Viking to clarify abut these two ships. Both are older ships that were purchased in Egypt. They used the Antares while the Ra was updated. The Ra is now launched and the Antares is in dry dock and being updated to be launched in December. Both will have Viking staff and food. Both serve alcohol with dinner but Silver Spirts package not offered on either ship. Hope this clarifies a little.

• Like 1

I think you’ve got some of you’re information a little incorrect

The Ra has not been launched, there is unknown delays, in the interim they have charted the Antares, they will continue chartering the ship in 2019 due to increase in demand.

The Antares is not in dry dock it is currently being used in its current state.

The link to the other thread on a previous post has recent people that booked on Ra but had Antares substituted, and it’s not the same.

That’s not to say when Ra is ready and launched that they won’t put Antares in dry dock.

As for silver spirits I’m able to buy it for my 2020 cruise, so I’m not sure why they are saying it’s not available

Absolutely none of this is what they just told me??? They also said no silver spirits on the Egypt boats. I find it hard to believe they would lie to me as I do three cruises with them per year and usually book top cabins???

Absolutely none of this is what they just told me??? They also said no silver spirits on the Egypt boats. I find it hard to believe they would lie to me as I do three cruises with them per year and usually book top cabins???

I doubt they are lying and I doubt it has anything to do with how many cruises you book with them. Most likely you’ve spoken to someone that doesn’t know.

Read the link I posted, it has very recent experiences of Antares.

The people you talk to on the phone are not always knowledgeable. I was trying to get last minute availability on a boat and was treated very dismissively. Until I reached the one person who said there was an opening and I had no single occupancy upcharge. The other agents who I spoke to never even called me back when the spot opened,

I am looking to cruise in 2019 and will not be “loyal” to Viking. I want a more upscale experience and all the prices seem to be close.

Am looking at Scenic or Uniworld.

I think you’ve got some of you’re information a little incorrect

The Ra has not been launched, there is unknown delays, in the interim they have charted the Antares, they will continue chartering the ship in 2019 due to increase in demand.

The Antares is not in dry dock it is currently being used in its current state.

The link to the other thread on a previous post has recent people that booked on Ra but had Antares substituted, and it’s not the same.

That’s not to say when Ra is ready and launched that they won’t put Antares in dry dock.

As for silver spirits I’m able to buy it for my 2020 cruise, so I’m not sure why they are saying it’s not available

Now I am confused, I think I will just book a Med cruise! Thanks

• Haha 1

The people you talk to on the phone are not always knowledgeable. I was trying to get last minute availability on a boat and was treated very dismissively. Until I reached the one person who said there was an opening and I had no single occupancy upcharge. The other agents who I spoke to never even called me back when the spot opened,

I am looking to cruise in 2019 and will not be “loyal” to Viking. I want a more upscale experience and all the prices seem to be close.

We are sailing Uniworld Nile 2/2/19, with pre trip to Petra.

I don't think you would be disappointed with Uniworld.

Take a look at the SSSudan, luxurious.

Not much about it on CC or TA but youtube has some good videos. I will post my reviews.

I am booked for this Dec 3rd sailing

BonVoyage

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We are scheduled to travel aboard the Ra in January 2020.  Now that it has been put into service, I would be interested to read about any experiences people have aboard that ship.  

Edited by Holmes4

Dear HistoricRoswell,

Only 6 months until we get to welcome you aboard—we can’t wait!

It’s our pleasure to confirm that our new Viking Ra is indeed owned, operated and staffed by Viking. We hope this information proves useful and exciting as you begin preparations for your upcoming Egyptian voyage. In the meantime, please don’t hesitate to contact us at TellUs@vikingcruises.com or 877-668-4546 should you have any questions or concerns.

Warm regards,
Viking Cruises

3 hours ago, HistoricRoswell said:

We are booked for the RA May 8, 2019. We got the last cabin in January. The RA is brand new. It was built by Egyptians though and it will not be staffed by Viking, but Egypt. Egypt makes these requirements. I have been told not to expect the same Viking standards in Egypt. 

• 7 months later...

Dear Viking Representative...

Can you confirm whether the Antares is owned and staffed by Viking?    I would expect everything to be the same as on other Viking vessels except for perhaps the decor.   And there is no Silver Spirits package available on the Egypt ships?

• 2 months later...
On 5/31/2019 at 1:21 PM, CEV426 said:

Dear Viking Representative...

Can you confirm whether the Antares is owned and staffed by Viking?    I would expect everything to be the same as on other Viking vessels except for perhaps the decor.   And there is no Silver Spirits package available on the Egypt ships?

I'm not a Viking Representative--but I believe that the vast majority of the staff on board is Egyptian--from reading the reviews--just like Viking China.

We are booked on the Antares for the October 21, 2019 trip.  The itinerary is the same as the Ra.  For those who have been on this tour in the last year or so - is their some time while on the tour of  Giza to pay for a short camel ride.  Honestly - just a picture opportunity for us.

Also if anyone else is on this trip at the same time - would like to connect and share thoughts about currency, dress, etc.

I’m not sure where the “do not expect the same level of service “ came from.

Regardless of the nationality of the staff, it is the training that counts.

I was on an A&K ship and the service was terrific. Local people. Just fantastic. Warm and caring.