Majesty of the Seas 5 Night Key West & Cuba Cruise - May 14, 2018 - Mini Review

Because Havana, Cuba is a new port of call for Majesty of the Seas, as I was planning my 5 night Key West and Cuba cruise, I didn't have much information to go on. My cruise on May 14, 2018 was only the 2nd time Majesty had cruised to Cuba, with the week before being the very first time. I hope the information in this "mini review" proves helpful for others planning a cruise to Cuba.

Background about me and my cruise history: I've cruised a pretty good amount, for my age. I'm in my 30s and this was my 16th cruise. I've previously cruised with HAL, NCL, Princess, and RCCL with the majority being with RCCL. I cruised with my mom who is in her 60s.

Embarkation: I love cruising out of Tampa and wish more cruises sailed out of this port It's easy to navigate and the Tampa airport beats the Ft. Lauderdale airport in every category. Embarkation was super smooth. We were on the ship within 30 minutes. The only very slight hiccup was the additional forms you have to fill out for your Visa. It slowed things down a bit. But overall it went fine.

Ship: Majesty is small in comparison with the huge RCCL ships of today but it never felt small to me. In fact, its layout was probably my favorite of any RCCL ship. It's super easy to get anywhere on the ship and the layout makes a lot of sense. It never really felt crowded either. You could always get a seat at the show and in the Windjammer.

Cabin: We were in an outside cabin on deck 3. It's probably the smallest cabin I've ever stayed in. Just beds and a chair - no sofa or loveseat of any kind. The window is actually a porthole which you can see out if if you position yourself just right, but a large picture window it is NOT. I've been spoiled by balcony cabins in the past but Majesty's are expensive so this was fine for a 5 night cruise. I do not understand the built-in nightstand/cubby hole thing in the room. When you need the beds separated, as I do with my mom, it makes for an awkward staggered bed placement. Whoever thought a built in nightstand was the way to go needs to rethink that. It meant I didn't have a nightstand or anywhere to put my glasses, book, remote control, etc. which was sort of annoying. First world problems. One other thing that was annoying was the loud banging/thumping sounds I'd hear in the middle of the night. I don't know if it was the stabilizers or a loose lifeboat banging against the side of the ship or what, but it happened pretty much every night, except for the night we were docked in Cuba. It made sleeping difficult at times and was something I haven't experienced before. Not sure if was just a deck 3 issue or if others heard it as well.

Food: My mom and I agreed that we were disappointed with the dining room food on this cruise. With our previous 3 cruises being on HAL and Princess, I do feel that RCCL's dining room food is not up to theirs. I understand that you get what you pay for. The "theme nights" seemed pointless. On formal night there was nothing formal about the menu. On Latin night there were no Latin food options. Why have theme nights then? There were also a LOT of repeats. I don't mind some repeats but when the menu is 80% identical each night, it gets old. I have not experienced this on other RCCL cruises so I don't know if Majesty is different in this regard? There was also not the classics menu that I'm used ot seeing on other RCCL ships with the linguini pomodoro and salmon offered every night, and I missed that. I also missed the Tutti salad bar that I've experienced on other RCCL ships. Not sure why Majesty doesn't offer this unless it's just due to the smaller size. In contrast, however, we were VERY impressed with the Windjammer food and this is where we ate the majority of the time. The Compass Deli was a nice touch as well.

Entertainment: In 16 cruises this was the FIRST time I've had a female cruise director, and it was nice to see some female representation! Cruisin Susan was great. Loved her sense of humor and her Scottish accent. The shows were good as always. We had a Lionel Ritchie tribute singer and a juggler/comedian, in addition to the production shows.

Cuba enrichment: One of my favorite things about this cruise was how RCCL tried to incorporate Cuba into the entire cruise, From Cuban music being played in the terminal during check in to a Cuban band being on board to the enrichment lectures and Cuba Q&A session to instructions on how to complete a Visa, RCCL did a great job of preparing you for the Cuba experience. They explained the currency situation very well (CUCs versus CUPs) and told you how to exchange money. (You can do it in the cruise terminal. You'll get 87 CUCs for $100 US dollars.) They were also extremely organized. I could not have been more impressed with how well they did everything, especially considering this was only their 2nd time sailing to Cuba. You would not have known it by how smooth everything was. If you have been to Cuba before then you know that smooth and organized aren't really words used to describe this country. So, RCCL deserves a lot of praise for how well they prepared us. Whenever there was a small hiccup, I don't think it was RCCL's fault. I think they relayed information to us the best they could but sometimes Cuba would change things on them at the last minute. That's just Cuba for you.

Key West: A beautiful port, of course, but being that it's in the U.S. I doubt many people have too many curiosities about this one. We had beautiful weather. We did the Conch Train and Aquarium which I highly recommend. I loved how easy it is to walk around Key West after getting off the ship. You are right in the middle of everything. If you are a fit walker, no transportation is needed.

Cuba: I know there's been a lot of mixed information about whether or not you have to have a tour booked through RCCL to get off the ship. If memory serves me correctly, in the shore excursions talk on board they implied you do have to book through RCCL. That's not true, though. You can have a tour booked through an outside operator. I will say, though, that you may be at somewhat of a disadvantage if you do this because they let off all the RCCL tours first. If you had a non-RCCL sponsored tour booked at 9:00 am, I'm not sure what would have happened as I don't think they were letting off anyone who didn't have a RCCL tour at that time. You might save money booking outside of RCCL but my advice (which isn't worth much) would be to just do the RCCL tour. It's easier and more reliable. Our tour guides were great. We did the Havana Express with Hemingway house and the Tropicana Cabaret. I highly recommend both, especially Tropicana. That was the highlight of my entire trip. Before arriving in Cuba, the RCCL crew kept telling us to go in with an open heart and an open mind. This is perfect advice. Cuba is different, in every way. Things move at a different pace there. If you are the type of person who will get impatient if your lunch order doesn't arrive in 5 minutes, don't go. If you don't like to stand in line or wait for anything, this isn't the place for you. But if you can go in with an open heart and open mind and embrace the difference, you'll have a great time.

Passengers: For whatever reason, I found the passengers on this ship to be some of the kindest, best people to be around on any cruise I've been on. They were extremely well traveled, cultured, and intelligent and wanted to experience the Cuban culture. They also looked out for one another. The toilet paper situation in Cuba is a big topic of conversation, and fellow travelers on our tour were always kind to share TP with one another. You can often bond over bathroom humor.

Overall thoughts: Despite a few very minor nitpicky complaints (small cabin, lackluster dining room food), this was a wonderful cruise. RCCL did a great job of educating us about and preparing us for Cuba. After disembarking, I realized this was somewhat a cruise of contrasts. You see the best of the best (think wealthy) in Key West and the worst of the worst in Cuba. But there was true beauty in the "crumbliness" of Cuba. If you go, or have been, you'll know what I mean.

Questions? Just ask. I'm happy to answer anything I can!

• Like 1

Because Havana, Cuba is a new port of call for Majesty of the Seas, as I was planning my 5 night Key West and Cuba cruise, I didn't have much information to go on. My cruise on May 14, 2018 was only the 2nd time Majesty had cruised to Cuba, with the week before being the very first time. I hope the information in this "mini review" proves helpful for others planning a cruise to Cuba.

Background about me and my cruise history: I've cruised a pretty good amount, for my age. I'm in my 30s and this was my 16th cruise. I've previously cruised with HAL, NCL, Princess, and RCCL with the majority being with RCCL. I cruised with my mom who is in her 60s.

Embarkation: I love cruising out of Tampa and wish more cruises sailed out of this port It's easy to navigate and the Tampa airport beats the Ft. Lauderdale airport in every category. Embarkation was super smooth. We were on the ship within 30 minutes. The only very slight hiccup was the additional forms you have to fill out for your Visa. It slowed things down a bit. But overall it went fine.

Ship: Majesty is small in comparison with the huge RCCL ships of today but it never felt small to me. In fact, its layout was probably my favorite of any RCCL ship. It's super easy to get anywhere on the ship and the layout makes a lot of sense. It never really felt crowded either. You could always get a seat at the show and in the Windjammer.

Cabin: We were in an outside cabin on deck 3. It's probably the smallest cabin I've ever stayed in. Just beds and a chair - no sofa or loveseat of any kind. The window is actually a porthole which you can see out if if you position yourself just right, but a large picture window it is NOT. I've been spoiled by balcony cabins in the past but Majesty's are expensive so this was fine for a 5 night cruise. I do not understand the built-in nightstand/cubby hole thing in the room. When you need the beds separated, as I do with my mom, it makes for an awkward staggered bed placement. Whoever thought a built in nightstand was the way to go needs to rethink that. It meant I didn't have a nightstand or anywhere to put my glasses, book, remote control, etc. which was sort of annoying. First world problems. One other thing that was annoying was the loud banging/thumping sounds I'd hear in the middle of the night. I don't know if it was the stabilizers or a loose lifeboat banging against the side of the ship or what, but it happened pretty much every night, except for the night we were docked in Cuba. It made sleeping difficult at times and was something I haven't experienced before. Not sure if was just a deck 3 issue or if others heard it as well.

Food: My mom and I agreed that we were disappointed with the dining room food on this cruise. With our previous 3 cruises being on HAL and Princess, I do feel that RCCL's dining room food is not up to theirs. I understand that you get what you pay for. The "theme nights" seemed pointless. On formal night there was nothing formal about the menu. On Latin night there were no Latin food options. Why have theme nights then? There were also a LOT of repeats. I don't mind some repeats but when the menu is 80% identical each night, it gets old. I have not experienced this on other RCCL cruises so I don't know if Majesty is different in this regard? There was also not the classics menu that I'm used ot seeing on other RCCL ships with the linguini pomodoro and salmon offered every night, and I missed that. I also missed the Tutti salad bar that I've experienced on other RCCL ships. Not sure why Majesty doesn't offer this unless it's just due to the smaller size. In contrast, however, we were VERY impressed with the Windjammer food and this is where we ate the majority of the time. The Compass Deli was a nice touch as well.

Entertainment: In 16 cruises this was the FIRST time I've had a female cruise director, and it was nice to see some female representation! Cruisin Susan was great. Loved her sense of humor and her Scottish accent. The shows were good as always. We had a Lionel Ritchie tribute singer and a juggler/comedian, in addition to the production shows.

Cuba enrichment: One of my favorite things about this cruise was how RCCL tried to incorporate Cuba into the entire cruise, From Cuban music being played in the terminal during check in to a Cuban band being on board to the enrichment lectures and Cuba Q&A session to instructions on how to complete a Visa, RCCL did a great job of preparing you for the Cuba experience. They explained the currency situation very well (CUCs versus CUPs) and told you how to exchange money. (You can do it in the cruise terminal. You'll get 87 CUCs for $100 US dollars.) They were also extremely organized. I could not have been more impressed with how well they did everything, especially considering this was only their 2nd time sailing to Cuba. You would not have known it by how smooth everything was. If you have been to Cuba before then you know that smooth and organized aren't really words used to describe this country. So, RCCL deserves a lot of praise for how well they prepared us. Whenever there was a small hiccup, I don't think it was RCCL's fault. I think they relayed information to us the best they could but sometimes Cuba would change things on them at the last minute. That's just Cuba for you.

Key West: A beautiful port, of course, but being that it's in the U.S. I doubt many people have too many curiosities about this one. We had beautiful weather. We did the Conch Train and Aquarium which I highly recommend. I loved how easy it is to walk around Key West after getting off the ship. You are right in the middle of everything. If you are a fit walker, no transportation is needed.

Cuba: I know there's been a lot of mixed information about whether or not you have to have a tour booked through RCCL to get off the ship. If memory serves me correctly, in the shore excursions talk on board they implied you do have to book through RCCL. That's not true, though. You can have a tour booked through an outside operator. I will say, though, that you may be at somewhat of a disadvantage if you do this because they let off all the RCCL tours first. If you had a non-RCCL sponsored tour booked at 9:00 am, I'm not sure what would have happened as I don't think they were letting off anyone who didn't have a RCCL tour at that time. You might save money booking outside of RCCL but my advice (which isn't worth much) would be to just do the RCCL tour. It's easier and more reliable. Our tour guides were great. We did the Havana Express with Hemingway house and the Tropicana Cabaret. I highly recommend both, especially Tropicana. That was the highlight of my entire trip. Before arriving in Cuba, the RCCL crew kept telling us to go in with an open heart and an open mind. This is perfect advice. Cuba is different, in every way. Things move at a different pace there. If you are the type of person who will get impatient if your lunch order doesn't arrive in 5 minutes, don't go. If you don't like to stand in line or wait for anything, this isn't the place for you. But if you can go in with an open heart and open mind and embrace the difference, you'll have a great time.

Passengers: For whatever reason, I found the passengers on this ship to be some of the kindest, best people to be around on any cruise I've been on. They were extremely well traveled, cultured, and intelligent and wanted to experience the Cuban culture. They also looked out for one another. The toilet paper situation in Cuba is a big topic of conversation, and fellow travelers on our tour were always kind to share TP with one another. You can often bond over bathroom humor.

Overall thoughts: Despite a few very minor nitpicky complaints (small cabin, lackluster dining room food), this was a wonderful cruise. RCCL did a great job of educating us about and preparing us for Cuba. After disembarking, I realized this was somewhat a cruise of contrasts. You see the best of the best (think wealthy) in Key West and the worst of the worst in Cuba. But there was true beauty in the "crumbliness" of Cuba. If you go, or have been, you'll know what I mean.

Questions? Just ask. I'm happy to answer anything I can!

Great review. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for that wonderful review. I do have a question for you. Did you book Tropicana through RC? If not, approximately, how much was a taxi ride there from the port?

We booked it through RC but I heard someone say a cab would be about 30-50 CUCs round trip. Hopefully that's accurate.

Thanks for the review. Cuba might be new to Majesty but we sailed Empress to Cuba last year. The terminal at Tampa was festive. We experienced similar helpful seminars to prepare us for the port stop. Heading hack to Cuba on Majesty, this time with an overnight stay.

I appreciate the info.

M

Thanks for the review. We leave in 15 days!! I was happy to hear that the terminal and ship were Cuban festive. :D

I too have a Category 3 outside cabin aboard the Majesty (I always book balconies) and was forewarned by my TA that the window was a porthole. Based on price, 5 nights and port I didn't care this time. I am in Cabin 3098 and hope the location is nowhere near your noisy cabin. Again, thanks for the insightful review.

Thanks for the review. We leave in 15 days!! I was happy to hear that the terminal and ship were Cuban festive. :D

I too have a Category 3 outside cabin aboard the Majesty (I always book balconies) and was forewarned by my TA that the window was a porthole. Based on price, 5 nights and port I didn't care this time. I am in Cabin 3098 and hope the location is nowhere near your noisy cabin. Again, thanks for the insightful review.

We were in 3516. I'm not looking at the deck plans at the moment but hopefully it's far from your cabin. I wish I knew what I was hearing. It sort of sounded like the stabilizers but it seemed louder than usual. It didn't happen all night long, but it wasn't a rare occurrence either. The seas couldn't have been any calmer, but I think they use the stabilizers even in calm seas?

The cabin was definitely tiny, so go in prepared for that. But for 5 nights, it was fine. And the shower actually seemed a little bigger than average. Go figure!

Hi again, I was able to see the daily cruise compass and I saw Latin/Salsa dance classes during the day. Did you take any of the classes and if so, were they for “real” Latin/Salsa dancing or more of a Latin Zumba type class?

Thanks

Hi again, I was able to see the daily cruise compass and I saw Latin/Salsa dance classes during the day. Did you take any of the classes and if so, were they for “real” Latin/Salsa dancing or more of a Latin Zumba type class?

Thanks

I'm a terrible dancer so I didn't participate in any of these, sorry! I do know there was a Cuban band on board who played in Boleros a lot. They were fantastic so if they are involved, even if the classes are lame, I would go for the band if they are playing!

Hi again: Can you give more insight on the disembarkation process in Cuba. I booked through an outside agency and I have a hour to meet up just outside the terminal. Of course, I am very nervous.

How long do you non-Royal tour passengers have to wait? Is it a feeding frenzy to get off the ship? Thanks. :cool:

Hi again: Can you give more insight on the disembarkation process in Cuba. I booked through an outside agency and I have a hour to meet up just outside the terminal. Of course, I am very nervous.

How long do you non-Royal tour passengers have to wait? Is it a feeding frenzy to get off the ship? Thanks. :cool:

Great question. From what I've read, it can vary greatly. I don't know that there's any rhyme or reason to how many security lines or immigration agents Cuba will have working on any given day. They are a very laid back type of people-not in a hurry for anything. I witnessed security workers just standing around but refusing to open up their line. You just have to get used to that.

I can share my experience with the disclaimer that it may not be the same as yours. We had a tour booked with RC and were told to meet in the dining room at 8:45 am. Not earlier, not later. We arrived on time and waited 45 minutes for the ship to be cleared. We were allowed off at approximately 9:30 am. I'd say we waited in the line for customs and security for about 30 minutes. They had many lines open but they weren't moving quickly. Then maybe 5 minutes to exchange money and use the restroom if you need to. RC takes all of this into consideration. When I looked at the scheduled leave time of our shore excursion in the excursions brochure, it said 10:00. Everyone was on our bus and we were rolling at about 10:05. Pretty amazing if you think about it. From what I could tell, RC was only letting off one bus load or one tour at a time so it wasn't a frenzy. Some waiting in line, sure, but not masses of people, which was nice. On the other hand, our tour was scheduled to end at 4:00 pm but ended at 5:00 pm. So you always need to allow some wiggle room.

We were told in the Q and A session that people with non-RC sponsored tours would have to wait until the RC tours were off to get off the ship. If that's true, I could see it taking much longer for them to get off, as RC was calling tour after tour once the ship was cleared. Now, is it possible they were squeezing in a few non-RC tour people in between the RC tours? Sure. But what they *said* is that you'd have to wait until all RC tours were off.

I completely understand why people want to book non-RC tours. You save money and often see more. Cuba is one place, in my personal humble opinion, where I would book an RC tour. Too much unknown for my control freak brain to handle booking a non-RC tour. I saw people stressing all week about whether or not they'd be allowed off the ship with a non-RC tour. (They were allowed off, in the end, but was it worth a week of stress to save $50? I promise I'm not asking that to be snarky; I ask it sincerely because for ME, stress-free is worth the extra $50. I know everyone is different.)

I know you didn't ask about re-boarding, but I read horror stories about people waiting in line for hours to get back on the ship. I'd say we waited 5 minutes, tops. So you can see how much it varies.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for posting this informative review. We are looking at booking the 4 night to Cuba and Key West next summer on Majesty of the Seas out of Ft Lauderdale. Cuba has long been on my bucket list!

Thanks for the information, very helpful.

I booked a 2 day private tour, so I will just let them know I can't guarantee the time and I am sure they will be flexible. The tour I booked, after much research (I am retired), was saving more than $50.00 p/p, that's for sure! I was able to pick everything I wanted to see and do. (walking tour, Classic Convertible Car tour, Jazz Club, Hemingway's former residence and farm to table experience). I have booked private tours all over the world, with much success. :cool:

Looking so forward to seeing Cuba and because the ship wasn't filling up enough I got a great price. I only booked this cruise a little more than a month ago. :D So all information is appreciated.

Thanks for the information, very helpful.

I booked a 2 day private tour, so I will just let them know I can't guarantee the time and I am sure they will be flexible. The tour I booked, after much research (I am retired), was saving more than $50.00 p/p, that's for sure! I was able to pick everything I wanted to see and do. (walking tour, Classic Convertible Car tour, Jazz Club, Hemingway's former residence and farm to table experience). I have booked private tours all over the world, with much success. :cool:

Looking so forward to seeing Cuba and because the ship wasn't filling up enough I got a great price. I only booked this cruise a little more than a month ago. :D So all information is appreciated.

I'm sure you'll do just fine with your private tour. Others on our ship had one and did fine. I just heard a lot of people stressing about it and wondered if an RC tour would have put their mind more at ease and let them enjoy their vacation more. RC could be a little misleading in making you think you had to book one of their tours, so watch out for that.

Thanks for your review and tour information! For our cruise week in October, DH and I have 9 family/friends joining us so we reserved the Classic Car tour (4 cars @ 3 in a car) for all of us through RCI to insure everyone is allowed to exit the ship earlier, stay together, and also to get back on time without the stress/fear of being left behind in Cuba!:eek: If it was just DH and I, we may have chosen a private tour but, for our large group, I think it was a wise choice!;)

Edited by SilkySal
grammar

Thanks for your review and tour information! For our cruise week in October, DH and I have 9 family/friends joining us so we reserved the Classic Car tour (4 cars @ 3 in a car) for all of us through RCI to insure everyone is allowed to exit the ship earlier, stay together, and also to get back on time without the stress/fear of being left behind in Cuba!:eek: If it was just DH and I, we may have chosen a private tour but, for our large group, I think it was a wise choice!;)

You'll probably hear this when you're on board, but just be sure that your entire group is together when you arrive for your shore excursion. RC may not give you a sticker (number) if your entire party isn't there. It's easy to get separated through customs (you may be directed to different lines) but it's easy enough to meet back up in the currency exchange section of the terminal.

Have fun! Cuba is wonderful.

You'll probably hear this when you're on board, but just be sure that your entire group is together when you arrive for your shore excursion. RC may not give you a sticker (number) if your entire party isn't there. It's easy to get separated through customs (you may be directed to different lines) but it's easy enough to meet back up in the currency exchange section of the terminal.

Have fun! Cuba is wonderful.

We will! Thanks for the advice!:*