World Cruise Mistakes and Horror Stories

JustOneDay

To quote the guys at Car Talk "the stingy man pays the most".   

My recommendations:

1.  Pick an all inclusive line if you can afford it.

2.  DIY your shore excursions when it makes sense.

3. Buy good insurance including evacuation.

4. Use good common sense in poor/developing/dangerous countries.  

5.  Enjoy every single minute.  Don't miss it!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 11/14/2018 at 3:44 PM, Waynetor said:

The 2 robbery incidents I remember from our world cruise were: Female passenger got mugged in Fortaleza, Brazil.  She was walking along the sidewalk when a motorcycle pulled up, the passenger got off, pushed her over and grabbed her bag.  She received some scrapes.  The mugger lost his glasses and thongs in the process of running away.

In Leon, Nicaragua in the colonial area outside a church some youth were dressed in colourful outfits.  When several members of our group gathered around them to take pictures, one lady had her wallet taken from her purse. There may have been others I did not hear about.

Injuries included 2 broken foot bones - 1 from stepping in an animal hole and a head injury getting off a tender. 

Thanks Wayne. I do remember Fortaleza to be somewhat sketchy, and would imagine it's much more so now, given the state of the Brazilian economy.  

• 1 month later...

We were on the 2018 Princess World Cruise, our first. It was a dream come true. The DH & I had a lovely balcony cabin, as forward on Deck 7 as we could be without being in danger of being mistaken for the figurehead when I leaned on the rail! It was rather like riding on the nose of a dolphin in rough weather, but have scopolamine patch will travel!

We had the Belinda King Dancers on board for 12 weeks and they were splendid. Excellent classically trained dancers--most from  Russia or the Ukraine. The other entertainers brought on board were alternately splendid or embarrassing. I'm not big on ventriloquists or impersonators, but the rest were very good. 

We had 12-14 formal nights. We were exceedingly blessed in our  table mates--a congenial, fun-loving group. Table 60 quickly became "the Party Table" and the 8 of us were often the last out of the dining room each night. Several ship's officers chose to dine with us more than once.  And yes, we've kept in touch with our new friends since we returned home.

Since we're singers, we were delighted to join the Harmony Choir and practice each sea day for a concert on each segment. I joined the Book Club. The DH volunteered to "Dance with the Stars" (one of the Belinda King dancers) and we sang duets for 3 of the 4 passenger talent shows. We loved sea days.

All told, we spent about $52K, cruise fare, first class air fare, insurance, tips, excursions, wifi, laundry, etc. It was money well spent. We saw the world and were changed by the seeing. And we can't wait to go again. If you'd like to learn more about our experience, check out RoundTheWorldWriter. I blogged every day.

2021 is our next target year.  We'll definitely do another world cruise if we can.    

Edited by Aquadesiac
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 6 months later...

What a great thread. As I am contemplating a world cruise for 2020, I read every comment and appreciated the insights.

You don't have to be rich to book a world cruise, just do what we have done for years - live below your means and save, save, save. Plus, being of sound mind we plan on spending it all.  The kids are on their own.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 9/3/2018 at 2:00 PM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Not many horror stories, so far.

Here's one. A vocal Cruise Critic poster and cruiser, whom I had met once onboard a Regent ship, talked for a long time about a WC on Oceania. The one he originally booked was cancelled for some reason, can't remember why--damage to the ship I think, or involvement in a hurricane? So he was moved back a year, and sadly, died onboard, somewhere in Asia. Not a great experience for his wife I think.

I just have to follow up on this one.  Go-Bucks will know what I'm talking about, since she's just home from the 2019 Oceania ATW cruise.

Betsy, the wife mentioned above, whose husband sadly died on an Oceania cruise, and both of whom I met:  Betsy met and married a fellow WCer this year, just a couple of weeks back.  They were married aboard ship.  How's that for a great story?

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I just have to follow up on this one.  Go-Bucks will know what I'm talking about, since she's just home from the 2019 Oceania ATW cruise.

Betsy, the wife mentioned above, whose husband sadly died on an Oceania cruise, and both of whom I met:  Betsy met and married a fellow WCer this year, just a couple of weeks back.  They were married aboard ship.  How's that for a great story?

Yep, Betsy's late husband Don Horner died of a heart attack on Insignia during the 2016 world cruise. 3 years later she took another one and met and married Bob Brown! It was a beautiful onboard wedding and a true love story that was attended by the ATW passengers! I think it will be a once-in-a-lifetime situation. 

BTW, I'm not home yet...I took the next 2 cruises after the world cruise and am waitlisted for the 3rd! My kids and travel agent don't think I'm ever going home!  (I will, eventually!!).  🤩

Edited by Go-Bucks!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Floridiana said:

I remember Don Horner very well. Congratulations to his wife for finding happiness again.

Go-Bucks,

Enjoy cruising as long as you can! Where is the ship now?

All the more reason to keep working on your bucket list and don't put anything off if you have the opportunity to do it.  Everyone's days are numbered and you never know when your number will be up.

I would rather regret things that I did than things I didn't do.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2019 at 1:45 PM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

YES  the Insignia had a engine room fire   just before the start of the RTW cruise  3 died

Don had heart issues prior to the cruise ..& had a heart attack onboard about 45 days into the cruise

equally important is to make sure you have medical insurance that covers  everything & other people know  the policy details

There was confusion at the time  who the insurer was etc..

I am very happy for Betsy to have  found happiness again especially on a RTW cruise

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I'm sure Don was happy to die while on a cruise, although I doubt his wife Betsy thought the same.

Carpe diem is my motto.

To have died on a cruise.  What a wonderful way to go.   

I wonder how many PAXs on average die on a cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

An officer once told me that nearly every cruise has a death...that seemed like alot, but he would know better than me. 

I can't imagine a better place/time to go...doing something you love!

Edited by Go-Bucks!

11 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

It's been a few years since I worked on the ships, but on most cruises we would have at least 1 death. In those days many of them were committed to the deep.

On our 82 day cruise, one passenger died - on shore in a Japanese hospital. We had several medical evacuations with ambulances and 2 med flights out of Dutch Harbor, our first port. Two patients left in ports on South Pacific Islands. These are just the cases of which I am aware because I saw the ambulances.  

I wonder if 'committed to the deep' is still an option. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Floridiana said:

On our 82 day cruise, one passenger died - on shore in a Japanese hospital. We had several medical evacuations with ambulances and 2 med flights out of Dutch Harbor, our first port. Two patients left in ports on South Pacific Islands. These are just the cases of which I am aware because I saw the ambulances.  

I wonder if 'committed to the deep' is still an option. 

Negative, don't believe it is an option from cruise ships these days.

• 2 weeks later...
On our 82 day cruise, .

For the long HAL, Princess, Costa cruises of over 30 days,

1. do they have a show every night or only on some nights?

2. how many production shows will we see in 30 days and how many guest performers like singers clowns, magicians, jugglers and acrobats?

3. how would you compare the shows and entertainment in general on HAL, Princess and Celebrity?

Thanks

On our MS Amsterdam HAL cruise, there was some sort of performance every night. I did not count the various categories, can't answer your question. And I can't compare to the other lines. However, if you go on cruises for the shows and evening entertainment in general, I would recommend to pick a very large ship with a short itinerary.

• Like 3

On our MS Amsterdam HAL cruise, there was some sort of performance every night. I did not count the various categories, can't answer your question. And I can't compare to the other lines. However, if you go on cruises for the shows and evening entertainment in general, I would recommend to pick a very large ship with a short itinerary.
Thanks so much. Yes, many short cruises with different ships will have a great variety of different entertainment.
Possibly 3--6 main Production shows on each cruise, plus guest performers

Sent from my Lenovo K8 Note using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2018 at 5:48 PM, rkacruiser said:

As one who has sailed one and one-quarter world cruises, I take exception to your comment "that only rich retirees can afford so much time and money". I am not in that category. I saved and invested during my working years and I am now able to enjoy the benefits of my frugality. Most thankfully!

Was I ready for the cruises to end? No. Were the preparations for the cruise a nuisance? They were a learning experience. Was I bored? No. I experienced much; I learned much; I met many very pleasant people, some of whom I remain in contact. I also met a very small minority of people with whom I hope I never meet again (and they may feel the same about me).

I can understand those who feel that too long of a cruise is inappropriate for them. We all have our likes/dislikes, our preferences. Some like avocados; I don't. I am not going to think any less of those who enjoy avocados.

I'd encourage you to continue to cruise for how many days your wife and you find enjoyable. Maybe over time, you might find extending the length of your cruise becoming possible.

So true.  This is my bucket list.  I planned on RV across US for 2 years, I planned on WC for two to three different itineraries.  Several repositioning cruises across the globe B2B2B and combine land travel Europe and, Asia.  So, I pinch pennies and start planning now for my adventure in 9 years.  Yes, it is still afar. But comparing the cost so I can get an estimate, what I want to do and how much I need to save.  By the time I get done traveling, I would be in retiring age to get my SS.  As a salaried employee, I would be able to cruise around the world in Viking, Regent, etc but a careful planning and frugality, it is possible to get things done.  Also, WC is very varied, you can cruise inside room in Cruise and Maritime's 120 days for about $12,500 while you could dole out $250k in luxury liners.  Obviously, the person is not familiar with cruise expenses, even excursion some you do (

safety and distance), while some you can go out and do a self trip using local transportation at cheap.  Also, building up your points with cruises membership can cut costs such as Spec meal, drinks, OBC, etc.  Some cruises offer specials, such as free drinks, free OBC, free excursions, etc so careful planning can go a long way.

When on such a long WC, I don't expect holiday everyday, like living at home or even in vacationing, I like some chill days where do nothing but sleep or relax.  If I had to be active everyday for 120+ days I would go crazy.

Edited by ashank1m

6 hours ago, ashank1m said:

So true.  This is my bucket list.  I planned on RV across US for 2 years, I planned on WC for two to three different itineraries.  Several repositioning cruises across the globe B2B2B and combine land travel Europe and, Asia.  So, I pinch pennies and start planning now for my adventure in 9 years.  Yes, it is still afar. But comparing the cost so I can get an estimate, what I want to do and how much I need to save.  By the time I get done traveling, I would be in retiring age to get my SS.  As a salaried employee, I would be able to cruise around the world in Viking, Regent, etc but a careful planning and frugality, it is possible to get things done.  Also, WC is very varied, you can cruise inside room in Cruise and Maritime's 120 days for about $12,500 while you could dole out $250k in luxury liners.  Obviously, the person is not familiar with cruise expenses, even excursion some you do (

safety and distance), while some you can go out and do a self trip using local transportation at cheap.  Also, building up your points with cruises membership can cut costs such as Spec meal, drinks, OBC, etc.  Some cruises offer specials, such as free drinks, free OBC, free excursions, etc so careful planning can go a long way.

When on such a long WC, I don't expect holiday everyday, like living at home or even in vacationing, I like some chill days where do nothing but sleep or relax.  If I had to be active everyday for 120+ days I would go crazy.

We did a 2-week Baltic with Cruise & Maritime in 2017. No desire to cruise with them other than the fact they were the only cruise line with dates that worked. Didn't expect much and certainly weren't disappointed. They were well below Princess, so I couldn't imaging getting stuck on one of their ships for 4 months.

When you start RV'ing you might want to consider more than 2 years, really is a great lifestyle. We don't full-time, but spend up to 6 months in the RV.

Enjoy the planning, it is almost as much fun as actual travelling.